ABS unit - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By C-A-D
  • 1 Post By 14wntr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jun 7th, 2015, 4:42 am Thread Starter

ABS unit

Hi. I am sure this has been around the block already but .....
I have issue with my ABS unit. The winding sound, when using the front brake, has the sound of shocking! gasping....and of course i only have the residual brakes left.... The red warning light stay on, while the ABS light flashes rapidly.
Is there any thing i can do? is the ABS pump going bad? any thing that i can do... Would replacing the brake fluid help? is there dirt in the system that prevent it from working properly?
Any suggestions on what I could do...Is there a place that can rebuild these units if need be? Thank you for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jun 8th, 2015, 8:23 am

Re: ABS unit

Some of the symptoms you report will result from low reservoir fluid levels. The first thing I suggest you do is check and top-up all reservoirs on the bike especially the small one in the right rear hidden under the bright metal panel to which the right side passenger foot peg is attached. A brake fluid change should only be considered as a last resort. It is difficult to bleed the system completely and properly even for a dealer. This is not at all a weekend backyard mechanic repair. It is one for an experienced, BMW trained master technician. If the ABS modulator pump gets damaged or has anything wrong other than a faulty circuit board, replacement may be required, and that will be very expensive remedy: ABS pump replacement on my '03 LT totaled $2600 a few years ago.
post #3 of 11 Old Jun 8th, 2015, 10:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by microdoc View Post
...A brake fluid change should only be considered as a last resort. It is difficult to bleed the system completely and properly even for a dealer. This is not at all a weekend backyard mechanic repair. It is one for an experienced, BMW trained master technician....
What?! Never heard that before - especially on this forum Here "everybody" are doing their own fluid changes...
johnbaker15 likes this.

Born to be wild so why not

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 Old Jun 8th, 2015, 8:56 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

There are a few things that can cause your symptoms that are not a failure of the system. Number one is a weak battery, starts OK but gets really low terminal voltage after the start. Load test will tell the true story on that. Fluid flushes are quite easy if you follow some simple tests, Bleeding after air gets into the system is just a tad bit harder. A fluid flush can't hurt but it will most likely not fix a failure. Best to get a readout of the fault code from a dealer or some one with a GS-911 unit then go from there.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 Old Jun 8th, 2015, 10:50 pm

what year is your bike.
If it's pre 2005 ( I think that is correct ) then Module Masters can most likely repair for comparatively little.

If it has I-ABS of the later bikes, and the abs has indeed failed, you are in for one expensive trip.
Module Masters can't deal with the I-ABS.
post #6 of 11 Old Jun 8th, 2015, 11:02 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodcounty View Post
what year is your bike.
If it's pre 2005 ( I think that is correct ) then Module Masters can most likely repair for comparatively little.

If it has I-ABS of the later bikes, and the abs has indeed failed, you are in for one expensive trip.
Thank you for the good words. yes it is a 2003, so i should be in that category of reparable....
I still need to check the battery and check voltage and amps, but it runs ok. The battery is 3 plus years.....
so if i do need to remove and have it fixed, do you know of a place that can/would do it?
Thank you for your infos and advices.
post #7 of 11 Old Jun 8th, 2015, 11:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodcounty View Post
what year is your bike.

Wasn't it so that ABS2 is considered to be repairable and the later servo-equipped systems perhaps not? If so the change happened already 2001 - not with the "facelift".

Born to be wild so why not

post #8 of 11 Old Jun 9th, 2015, 7:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-A-D View Post
Wasn't it so that ABS2 is considered to be repairable and the later servo-equipped systems perhaps not? If so the change happened already 2001 - not with the "facelift".
The knowledgeable here can correct any errors here ( please!)
The I-ABS was 2005 onward if I recall correctly. Pre integrated abs the units can be repaired according to the folks I spoke with at Module Master.
Mine was SOL. No parts available, and no one willing to make the parts.

I sold my 2006 bike for parts a couple weeks ago due to the unwarranted expense of replacing the failed I-ABS unit..
post #9 of 11 Old Jun 9th, 2015, 8:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by microdoc View Post
Some of the symptoms you report will result from low reservoir fluid levels. The first thing I suggest you do is check and top-up all reservoirs on the bike especially the small one in the right rear hidden under the bright metal panel to which the right side passenger foot peg is attached. A brake fluid change should only be considered as a last resort. It is difficult to bleed the system completely and properly even for a dealer. This is not at all a weekend backyard mechanic repair. It is one for an experienced, BMW trained master technician. If the ABS modulator pump gets damaged or has anything wrong other than a faulty circuit board, replacement may be required, and that will be very expensive remedy: ABS pump replacement on my '03 LT totaled $2600 a few years ago.
Seriously? Are you talking about an LT? Where do you come up with this idea that only an master tech should change brake fluid? I change my fluids at least once every year. Why dont you watch the videos I did on doing just that and start saving yourself BIG $$$! PS. I am NOT a master tech. I am just a guy who does not like to get hosed every time I go into a shop.
johnbaker15 likes this.

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

President of

post #10 of 11 Old Jun 9th, 2015, 8:18 am

You can check this way:
Motorcycle ABS Modules | Product Categories | ModuleMaster

Or put the bike in here:
Motor Sports | ModuleMaster

Check the LT years at the bottom of the list.
http://modulemaster.com/rebuilds/sho.../abs-fte-abs3/

04 K1200LT, 05 F650GS
post #11 of 11 Old Jun 11th, 2015, 10:03 am

And if you cannot repair or wish to replace your Integral ABS system you can remove this system from this perfectly good motorcycle.
There are a few that have done it. I just completed the project myself. Mine is an 02 that looks brand new. Still though 2300.00.....ahhhhhh...no.

Brakes feel excellent... As good as my buddies 2014 Non ABS Goldwing.

ABS is great but should not cause anyone to part out their bike.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in