Colorado Springs - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Scouter-50

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jun 5th, 2015, 5:25 pm Thread Starter
SEG

Colorado Springs

Any LT riders in Colorado Springs? I'll be riding my LT from NYC to Colorado Springs and spending two weeks. I'm looking for a parking recommendation. I'll be at a Hilton and the hotel has informed me that the only place to park nearby is their garage at $20/night. $280 for two weeks for motorcycle parking seems pretty steep. I won't be using the LT during the work week, only on the weekends. If anyone has info to share, please send a PM. Thank you.

Scott

- 2009 LT
- BMW MOA #92950
- BMW RA #41621
- IBA #35299
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jun 5th, 2015, 6:51 pm

Re: Colorado Springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEG View Post
Any LT riders in Colorado Springs? I'll be riding my LT from NYC to Colorado Springs and spending two weeks. I'm looking for a parking recommendation. I'll be at a Hilton and the hotel has informed me that the only place to park nearby is their garage at $20/night. $280 for two weeks for motorcycle parking seems pretty steep. I won't be using the LT during the work week, only on the weekends. If anyone has info to share, please send a PM. Thank you.

Scott
My reaction would be to tell them to stuff it and find other accommodations. I understand that there might be other considerations but that is usually how I react to rip-offs.

Robert
Voyager and CaliDefector like this.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old Jun 5th, 2015, 7:16 pm Thread Starter
SEG

I am attending a conference and all participants have to stay at the Hilton so I'm stuck with the place. I agree, I would have moved on to another hotel if I had a choice. I'll do a little research to find another garage nearby.

- 2009 LT
- BMW MOA #92950
- BMW RA #41621
- IBA #35299

post #4 of 10 Old Jun 7th, 2015, 12:35 pm

Join the BMWMOA. The have with the membership a book of members who help riders visiting the area.

PM me.
post #5 of 10 Old Jun 7th, 2015, 1:01 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEG View Post
I am attending a conference and all participants have to stay at the Hilton so I'm stuck with the place. I agree, I would have moved on to another hotel if I had a choice. I'll do a little research to find another garage nearby.
This seems a trend with Hilton Hotels. I stayed recently at the Hilton in Harrisburg, PA only 3 hours from my home. Same deal as you, conference hotel booked en masse. I called ahead to ask about bike parking and got a pretty cool reception.

The main parking for the hotel is a parking garage that prohibits motorcycles. The desk clerk said I could park in front of the hotel, but in an area that was not attended and had no security cameras. I could tell from his voice that he strongly discouraged that option. I elected to drive my cage as much as it pained me to do that.

I don't know if they think we are all loud pipes types or they just don't have enough customers who ride to make it matter to them. I did have fun with the customer satisfaction survey though. Very polite and professional, but I let them know what I thought about their no motorcycles policy for parking.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #6 of 10 Old Jun 7th, 2015, 1:12 pm

Seems to be a trend as of late with hotels charging for parking now. Over the last two weeks I was in Ft Lauderdale and Nashville. I was going to drive the LT down to Lauderdale but 23$ a day and no eyes on the parking lot. My company would not let me ride to Nashville some BS about their insurance would not allow it for business... Stayed at the Gaylord Opryland and they had eyes on scoots at least but $23/day self park. Talked to the valets and they were willing to park a scoot! saves 3$ per day.

Hotels are scrambling for every one of your dollars.... My favorite was bottled water was 6 bucks in Ft Lauderdale from the hotel! One of the reasons I am camping on my 8K ride in august... Going to stay at a hotel in Solvang on my trip and they also charge for parking.... Course some campsites do not allow motorcycles... guess they figure everyone drives a "loud" scoot.

Tom

###########################
2009 K1200LT (Travel)
2007 R1200RTP (Commute)
2001 Goldwing (Gone but not forgotten)
1999 K1200LT (Gone failed final drive)
1983 R100RT (Sold)

post #7 of 10 Old Jun 7th, 2015, 1:35 pm

If you belong to the bmwoa you probably could find someone in the anon book.

04 K1200LT, 05 F650GS
post #8 of 10 Old Jun 7th, 2015, 4:16 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj4tak View Post
Seems to be a trend as of late with hotels charging for parking now. Over the last two weeks I was in Ft Lauderdale and Nashville. I was going to drive the LT down to Lauderdale but 23$ a day and no eyes on the parking lot. My company would not let me ride to Nashville some BS about their insurance would not allow it for business... Stayed at the Gaylord Opryland and they had eyes on scoots at least but $23/day self park. Talked to the valets and they were willing to park a scoot! saves 3$ per day.

Hotels are scrambling for every one of your dollars.... My favorite was bottled water was 6 bucks in Ft Lauderdale from the hotel! One of the reasons I am camping on my 8K ride in august... Going to stay at a hotel in Solvang on my trip and they also charge for parking.... Course some campsites do not allow motorcycles... guess they figure everyone drives a "loud" scoot.

Tom
This is not a new trend. Hotels in larger cities have charged for parking since at least 1983 when I started traveling for business. Motels and small town hotels tend not to charge.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #9 of 10 Old Jun 7th, 2015, 5:22 pm

Guess I stayed at fleabags when I traveled for my business during the 90's and 20's! I only saw the paid parking once in early 2000's in LA. Not that I am complaining as I don't mind paying for parking if they have attendants and cameras on the scoot.

However 2 weeks >> 280$ is kinda outrageous he could rent a self storage unit for about half of that rate especially if he is not using the bike every day. A 10x10' unit with drive in facilities is $119 for a month in Colorado Springs and it looks like you get 24 hour access to it. Just a thought.

Tom

2009 K1200LT (Travel)
2007 R1200RTP (Commute)
2001 Goldwing (Gone but not forgotten)
1999 K1200LT (Gone failed final drive)
1983 R100RT (Sold)

post #10 of 10 Old Jun 7th, 2015, 6:23 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj4tak View Post
Guess I stayed at fleabags when I traveled for my business during the 90's and 20's! I only saw the paid parking once in early 2000's in LA. Not that I am complaining as I don't mind paying for parking if they have attendants and cameras on the scoot.

However 2 weeks >> 280$ is kinda outrageous he could rent a self storage unit for about half of that rate especially if he is not using the bike every day. A 10x10' unit with drive in facilities is $119 for a month in Colorado Springs and it looks like you get 24 hour access to it. Just a thought.

Tom
I am definitely not endorsing hotel parking fees, just saying it isn't a recent trend. I (well my employer) have paid exorbitant parking fees in most hotels in cities with population greater than 50,000.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in