Brake Caliper Bleed Screws won't stop leaking - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By bob1811

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jun 4th, 2015, 11:09 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Brake Caliper Bleed Screws won't stop leaking

I just completed the annual service on my 2005 LT. This included the installation of new brake pads and the annual brake flush.
Back story… Several years ago, after reading threads on this forum about speed bleeders, I purchased a complete set of the screws for my bike. I later determined that they aren't really needed to perform the flush, so I never installed them.

So fast forward to last week, I find the unopened bleed screws in the original packaging and in a moment of brilliance, I decide that it would be a good idea to install them on the bike. I completed the install and system flush with no problems, at least I thought. I went out for a ride and noticed leakage from the bleed hole (not threads) on both rear caliper bleed screws. I tightened them down more, still they leaked. So I decided to place the original screws back in the caliper… now they are leaking as well (from the bleed hole, not the threads). I can’t torque them down any further. Prior to this situation, I’ve never had leak issues with the bleed screws.
My concern is, Why is it leaking from the bleed hole, but not the threads, and how do I make it stop?

Options I’m thinking about:
1) Putting thread sealant on the original screws and reinstalling.
2) I have another set of unopened speed bleeders, SB1010, not the SB1010S that I could try. The SB1010 is a longer screw.
3) Ordering replacement OEM screws.

Thoughts?????

Thanks in advance.

Bob

2005 Blue K1200LT
2010 R1200GS
BMW/MOA 94539

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jun 4th, 2015, 11:29 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Brake Caliper Bleed Screws won't stop leaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1811 View Post
I just completed the annual service on my 2005 LT. This included the installation of new brake pads and the annual brake flush.
Back story… Several years ago, after reading threads on this forum about speed bleeders, I purchased a complete set of the screws for my bike. I later determined that they aren't really needed to perform the flush, so I never installed them.

So fast forward to last week, I find the unopened bleed screws in the original packaging and in a moment of brilliance, I decide that it would be a good idea to install them on the bike. I completed the install and system flush with no problems, at least I thought. I went out for a ride and noticed leakage from the bleed hole (not threads) on both rear caliper bleed screws. I tightened them down more, still they leaked. So I decided to place the original screws back in the caliper… now they are leaking as well (from the bleed hole, not the threads). I can’t torque them down any further. Prior to this situation, I’ve never had leak issues with the bleed screws.
My concern is, Why is it leaking from the bleed hole, but not the threads, and how do I make it stop?

Options I’m thinking about:
1) Putting thread sealant on the original screws and reinstalling.
2) I have another set of unopened speed bleeders, SB1010, not the SB1010S that I could try. The SB1010 is a longer screw.
3) Ordering replacement OEM screws.

Thoughts?????

Thanks in advance.
I never bought speed bleeders as they are entirely unnecessary. I also read somewhere that some of them didn't fit right and needed to have the point filed off of the tip or something goofy like that. I wonder if you damaged the sealing surface in the calipers by installing the ill fitting speed breeders? Hopefully, someone here who has installed them successfully can give you some ideas.

For me, the cheap bleeder bag was a far better deal and just as effective as the speed bleeders and I got to keep the original bleed valves that work and seal just fine. I always prefer to apply Occam's razor and go for the simplest solution possible.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Jun 4th, 2015, 11:47 am

Lots of info on the net on this. Just google it. Most likely report was dirt on the caliper surface were the bleeder meets it, that's what makes the seal. You need to check each surface of the screw and caliper to make sure they are intact. I bought BMW bleeder screws after removing the factory fillers and they sealed good. May have to take the caliper off to inspect the mating surface. Hope this helps. A more knowledgeable mechanic with first hand experience will help.

2000 Lt
800 Kawasaki
25 yrs. without
750 Suzuki
550 Suzuki
160 Honda

The ride is fresh under diamond skies, makes me glad to be alive.

post #4 of 9 Old Jun 4th, 2015, 12:29 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

My apologies if I was not clear on the issue at play here. The leak is not from the threads of the screw (in either the speed bleeders or OEM screws), but from the bleed opening hole at the top of the screw (where the fluid comes out). I determined this when after install, I removed the rubber dust cap and fluid came out of the top of the cap. it's a small amount, but it's leaking and I'm trying to get it to stop.

Bob

2005 Blue K1200LT
2010 R1200GS
BMW/MOA 94539

post #5 of 9 Old Jun 4th, 2015, 2:58 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I believe that's what Moogie was addressing. If the bleeders don't make a good seal when turned in they will leak out the hole.

Speed bleeders have been known to have an issue with sealing. If you over torqued the speed bleeders you may have damaged the sealing surface in the caliper's holes. A really good machinist may be able to clean them up.
post #6 of 9 Old Jun 4th, 2015, 7:57 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Completely remove the bleed screw and make sure there is no leftover thread sealer down in the hole (clean it with a Q-tip) from the Speed Bleeders. Then make sure the tip of the bleed screw is clean and smooth and re-install. Also look at the threads to make sure they are clean as well.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #7 of 9 Old Jun 4th, 2015, 8:23 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I'll pull the screws and clean them up and reinstall as suggested. I'll let you know how it works out.

Thanks!

Bob

2005 Blue K1200LT
2010 R1200GS
BMW/MOA 94539

post #8 of 9 Old Jun 6th, 2015, 7:17 am

Garage

I had a bleeder screw on the rear caliper leak after doing the Speigler line change when filling the system. I ended up running a tap thru and replacing with a new bleeder. Leak fixed.

Marvin
2003 K1200 LTC
1967 Honda SS125
1964 Honda 90
2008 R1200RT.. Sold
post #9 of 9 Old Jun 6th, 2015, 10:35 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Garage

I took John's advice and cleaned up the thread lock residue from the speed bleeders. It seems to have worked...
Patric likes this.

Bob

2005 Blue K1200LT
2010 R1200GS
BMW/MOA 94539

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in