CCR Tech Session Donor Bike Search - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jun 3rd, 2015, 7:58 pm Thread Starter
Wrencher Extraordinaire

CCR Tech Session Donor Bike Search

Looks like it is time to dust off the LT 12/24 K service demo as we have many new LT owners our there and hopefully they are all coming to CCR this year. This would be a chance to learn how to do the common maintenance on your LT and get a free service done as well. Just let me know if you are interested.

If you have nothing better to do just before Labor day come to Coeur d'Alene, ID and join a hundred of your newest friends for a great time, great food and great riding.

See Ya There!

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jun 3rd, 2015, 10:19 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: CCR Tech Session Donor Bike Search

Hi John,

I'd be willing to use my '07 as the donor bike for a modified 12/24K service. I just turned 40K, and did the Spiegler changeout at 38K, doing a complete brake flush. By CCR, it should need:

- oil change (engine, trans, rear drive);
- in tank fuel lines and filter (I have an Oetiker stepless ear clamp kit I could bring);
- chuck the existing K&N air filter for a new paper filter;
- could complete the canisterectomy (I disconnected the canister and plugged the one line and re-routed the tank vent line, on the way back from Chattanooga last year);
- valve check (I checked them about 4-6K ago and two of the valves appeared marginally in tolerance); and
- clutch fluid change (to my knowledge, the bike does not have a weep hole drilled), and I previously installed a Speedbleeder on the line to make the bleeding faster.

The bike already has many farkles on it that some of our newer LT owners may be interested in seeing (Jiffy Tite fuel line quick disconnects; a new Garmin 590 with TPMS; PIAAs; Yacugar shocks; fuse block; and AS7 remote switch; Russell seat; Spiegler brake lines; RT mirrors; BMR package tray over the pillion seat; Fix-it-before-it-Breaks latch kit; etc.).

Do you think anyone would be interested on bidding for my old complete Nav III GPS system if I were to donate it to the cause? It works great, but needs updated maps, unless someone wants to use out of date maps...

Let me know if you want to use mine as the donor, and if so, what I would need to bring/ship in advance.

Thanks!

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Jun 4th, 2015, 8:02 pm Thread Starter
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Sounds like a plan Dave especially if you will help wrench. I should be able to get oil and filters from the dealer. I'll try for the hoses as well but be prepared to get those ahead of time, I'll let you know. If you know what buckets you might need I could make sure they will be there as well.

Your In!!

Thanks

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #4 of 9 Old Jun 5th, 2015, 12:24 am
Lifetime Supporter

Hi John,

Attached is a record of my valve clearance readings with the two marginal valves yellow hi-lited.

When I took the original readings, it appeared that I had too many valves with questionable readings, so I re-measured them the following day, leaving two that appeared to be marginally in tolerance.

Let me know if I need to bring any tools and or other supplies (other than the new air and fuel filters and the Oetiker hose clamp set).

Also, should I bring my Nav III setup for the auction?

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Valve Check Record - BMW K1200LT Sheet1.pdf (32.9 KB, 65 views)

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE

post #5 of 9 Old Jun 5th, 2015, 7:19 am

Without knowing what buckets are in there now isn't it a shot in the dark what you'll need? Or are there general trends how they are originally set up at the factory? My original buckets were all 2.90 - 2.95 on the intake side and 2.70, 2.75 & 2.80 on the exhaust.

Jim
2003 BMW K1200LT (my favorite 2 wheeled land yacht)
2008 Yamaha FJR1300 (recent addition)
1982 Yamaha Vision (long gone)
post #6 of 9 Old Jun 5th, 2015, 3:47 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Hi Jim,

Good point, and all the more reason why I volunteered to have my bike serve as the donor, as I've never taken the valve train off, just measured the clearances.

A forum member (Larry Hendrick?) previously posted a valve bucket calculator worksheet (see attached with my measurements inserted), but the missing information to complete the Required Bucket Size lines is the Current Bucket info, which I do not presently have. If I were to make this available, I'd have to take the bike apart to see what the current bucket sizes are. For a newbie, unless the previous owner had provided this information, they would be in the same or similar position that I am - first measure existing clearances and, if out of tolerance, then change the buckets accordingly.

The only valve adjustment experience I have is with hydraulic valves on a 289 (no adjustments required) and mechanical on my '56 T-Bird and my old '53 MG. I never had to mess with valves on my '74 Suzuki, as it was a 2-stroke and I've never taken a more modern engine apart before so this is on my "bucket list" of things to do....

Attached Files
File Type: xls K1200LT_Bucket Calc v2 - 20140808.xls (36.0 KB, 60 views)

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE

post #7 of 9 Old Jun 5th, 2015, 8:29 pm Thread Starter
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I usually don't use a calculator. If it is .005/.004 for an intake I just go one size smaller, if it is .002 or less I go two sizes smaller. And yes the last bike I did had some .002 and one .0015 intake clearances.

Dave we can pull the cam and document your bucket sizes and I will bring my stash but most of them are 2.90, 2.95 now with all the swaps I have done. I'll have all the tools and I will hit the dealer up for the filters and oils.

I looked at your list and the only one that needs changing is 1A intake. It is out @.0055. The .008 intakes and .012 on the exhaust will likely never need changing as they always wear tight never loose due to valve seat erosion.

The NAVIII may bring a few bucks for the silent auction, I am sure that John Kersh would not turn it down.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Last edited by jzeiler; Jun 5th, 2015 at 8:35 pm.
post #8 of 9 Old Jun 6th, 2015, 12:03 am

Damn John. I wish I could go. I'd gladly loan my LT for a tech session.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #9 of 9 Old Jun 6th, 2015, 2:06 am
Lifetime Supporter

Sounds good, John! Let me know if I should bring a new valve cover gasket too (just in case) - I don't know how many times you can reuse the original one. I used gasket sealer when I put it back on to prevent leaks and these versions are a lot different than what I have worked with on cars.

I'll follow up with John Kersh on the Nav III donation.

Thanks!

Dave

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in