intermitten cruise control - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By rmcclure

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Jun 1st, 2015, 6:32 pm Thread Starter

intermitten cruise control

Hi, a 2K LT, no problems in the past with the cruise control. Driving to work, the cruise quit a few times when the road got a little bumpy, and at times it felt like the bike was doing a little surging....maybe my imagination. Anyway tho the cruise would pop right back when I re-engaged it. I have driven this road for years on this bike without incident with the cruise. (spilled coffee, deer in the road, crazy drivers, snow...yeah) I did a quick check by deactivating the cruise using the clutch and brake levers, no change..Any thoughts on this one? Maybe sticky throttle cables?

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Jun 1st, 2015, 6:40 pm

Garage
Re: intermitten cruise control

you can test it( when its not working) there is a test procedure. but it's possibly the clutch lever, that's where I would start to look. I have had this go out of whack a couple of times, it can move under severe conditions and bumpy roads are very common around here. you can only test it of course when it is not working.

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #3 of 19 Old Jun 1st, 2015, 7:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualemt View Post
Hi, a 2K LT, no problems in the past with the cruise control. Driving to work, the cruise quit a few times when the road got a little bumpy, and at times it felt like the bike was doing a little surging....maybe my imagination. Anyway tho the cruise would pop right back when I re-engaged it. I have driven this road for years on this bike without incident with the cruise. (spilled coffee, deer in the road, crazy drivers, snow...yeah) I did a quick check by deactivating the cruise using the clutch and brake levers, no change..Any thoughts on this one? Maybe sticky throttle cables?
Have you seen the video tutorial and the PDF document to help you with the cruise-control troubleshooting ?

See post #1 of this thread on same forum:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...-tutorial.html

If cruise goes out (intermittent) when hitting bumps, is is most commonly caused by a loose clutch-lever micro-switch. As explained in Video and in PDF document, one of the difficulty lies with the fact that the Throttle micro-switch and the Clutch-lever micro-switch are on the same signal wire - thus when any of those 2 are not working correctly (stuck in the "clicked" position or defective), the diagnostic procedure will fail at the throttle step.

As shown in the video, you need to pay VERY CLOSE attention to WHEN and HOW they click based on the lever movement (or throttle movement) - you need a quiet environment to do this.

If it is the clutch micro-switch: review video beginning at 7:37 (min:sec) where the micro-switch location is shown - you will need to loosen single screw of the switch, do a small rotation of switch (not much is available) and re-tighten it. You need to hear the "click" of the switch after a small lever movement otherwise it will keep being hit too early. The wear in the lever pivot bushing is also a factor (as you have said) and may amplify the problem. In most cases, you can rotate the switch just a tiny amount to compensate. In the worst case, I have bent the metal tab of the switch, but this is a bit tricky as there is another switch and metal tab behind (for starter safety interlocks when in gear).

If it is the Throttle micro-switch: cable free play and cable routing is critical. Using a good flashlight, compare video behavior with yours when throttle is fully closed from rest position.

Let us know how it goes...

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."

post #4 of 19 Old Jun 1st, 2015, 10:17 pm

Check the free play in your rear brake pedal.Mine was set so that if I even got near the brake pedal it would cancel it

Jeff Bokusky

Shoreview ,Mn.

2001 K1200LT ---
1973 Harley FLH 96 c.i.
1948 Harley EL 88 c.i.
1985 kawasaki KX250
1993 honda XR 200--
1978 Triumph Bonneville
post #5 of 19 Old Jun 1st, 2015, 11:30 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies...
I did check out the video about the cruise control test, it's pretty cool that that even exists. My problem is the cruise is working, but just pops off occasionally, although it seems to be getting more frequent. I will go down to the garage in the dead of night, make sure the TV and stereo are off, give the dog a treat so she won't make that whiney noise thinking I'm going somewhere without her, and try the levers and listen for the click, could just be caused by the levers getting sloppy from use. I did just recently bleed the brake system, but didn't get any fluid on anything, and brakes seem to be just fine.
I'll be riding it home from work tomorrow morning, so I'll see how it goes..

RICH CANNON
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 19 Old Jun 2nd, 2015, 7:39 am

The throttle micro switch always gave me problems. While your bike is on its center stand, turn the wheel all the way in both directions. While stopped at it furthest direction (each way), back off on the throttle, you should hear a click from the center of the bike (under the plastic). Look at the very last paragraph on the attached document to better explain checking the switch.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Throttle_Cable.pdf (385.8 KB, 111 views)

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #7 of 19 Old Jun 2nd, 2015, 7:50 am

check the speedo sensor wire from top of FD, it commonly breaks near the pivot point of the swing arm.

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #8 of 19 Old Jun 2nd, 2015, 9:45 am

My cruise control was kicking out when the speedo sensor wire went. When the cruise control was not being used, the speedo needle would sometimes flutter and sometimes just before I fixed it, the speedo would drop to zero for a few seconds. Solder repair, heat shrink tubing and back on the road. All is well.
Munmi likes this.

Ross
K1200LT (99)
post #9 of 19 Old Jun 2nd, 2015, 12:24 pm

Throttle cables maybe?

Regards,
Boots
IBA#50871

Come ride with me;

2006 R12GS 100K miles, current ride
1972 R60/5 Toaster 44K miles, current ride
2002 K12LTE 58K miles, SOLD
post #10 of 19 Old Jun 3rd, 2015, 1:07 am

My guess is the micro-switch at the clutch lever... when I first got my 2000 LT, it would disengage on rough roads and a simple adjustment of that switch ended it, been good the last 5 years.

2012 K1600GT

post #11 of 19 Old Jun 5th, 2015, 3:41 pm Thread Starter

Thanks again for all the input, this truly is the best forum ever!!
I have about 60 miles on the bike since I posted, running the same road to work. I tried holding out the levers and the foot brake lever as well, and I am getting the feeling it is the speedo sensor wire. It seems to occur when the bike takes a dip, rather than small bumps. Here on Whidbey Island, the state has cut the wake-up groove down the centerline of the road, I hate riding on them, especially when I need to pass someone (need/want, same-same) Part of my test of the cruise was to ride a bit on those grooves, it does shake things up...well, no change, cruise held fine, but it seemed when I hit the dips or large bumps that the cruise would kick out, so I'm thinking when the rear wheel and drive move up and down, it is causing the speedo sensor wire to flex, and maybe the root of my issue..I am going to keep looking, as the problem is too intermittent to positively nail down at this time.
I'll post again if I find the little gremlin..

RICH CANNON
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
post #12 of 19 Old Jun 5th, 2015, 4:30 pm

If you are suspecting the speedo wire, a very close check with a good light may reveal cracking in the wire jacket (cover). Its not too big a job to remove the wire to check it. You could check for resistance in the wire as well without removing it. There is a plug somewhere under the seat and a couple of zip ties to undo. I found repair to be faster and cheaper than replacement.

Ross
K1200LT (99)
post #13 of 19 Old Jun 5th, 2015, 5:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualemt View Post
Thanks again for all the input, this truly is the best forum ever!!
I have about 60 miles on the bike since I posted, running the same road to work. I tried holding out the levers and the foot brake lever as well, and I am getting the feeling it is the speedo sensor wire. It seems to occur when the bike takes a dip, rather than small bumps. Here on Whidbey Island, the state has cut the wake-up groove down the centerline of the road, I hate riding on them, especially when I need to pass someone (need/want, same-same) Part of my test of the cruise was to ride a bit on those grooves, it does shake things up...well, no change, cruise held fine, but it seemed when I hit the dips or large bumps that the cruise would kick out, so I'm thinking when the rear wheel and drive move up and down, it is causing the speedo sensor wire to flex, and maybe the root of my issue..I am going to keep looking, as the problem is too intermittent to positively nail down at this time.
I'll post again if I find the little gremlin..

The rear-drive speed sensor problem is quite common on 1st generation like yours (1999-2001). As already mentioned by many, you will need to inspect the wire leading to speed-sensor.

You will find good pictures on what to look for and what to repair in these 2 posts:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...tml#post550346

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...tml#post550357

John (Montreal, CANADA)
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #14 of 19 Old Jul 17th, 2015, 8:45 am

Sailor, I am impressed with that video! You put a lot of time into that and it shows.
I have an 2004 r1200clc. I recently removed the BMW audio system adding an amp and mp3 plug, and now my Cruise does not engage.
Here is the thing...
On the self diagnostic test everything works as it should. I can hear the faint clicks of the microswitches.

I did have to have the throttle body fixed, last summer but it worked after that.

The only thing I can think of is that when the guy wired the new amplifier, that safety mechanism which turns off the music when accelerating may have something to do with it...

Thoughts?
post #15 of 19 Old Jul 17th, 2015, 2:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstrug64 View Post
Sailor, I am impressed with that video! You put a lot of time into that and it shows.
I have an 2004 r1200clc. I recently removed the BMW audio system adding an amp and mp3 plug, and now my Cruise does not engage.
Here is the thing...
On the self diagnostic test everything works as it should. I can hear the faint clicks of the microswitches.

I did have to have the throttle body fixed, last summer but it worked after that.

The only thing I can think of is that when the guy wired the new amplifier, that safety mechanism which turns off the music when accelerating may have something to do with it...

Thoughts?
Todd,

Thank you for the kind words - indeed it was a lot of work to make the video and PDF file as clear as possible to solve majority of cruise-control problems on these BMW. To solve all remaining cases / type of problem would have required to make it way too long or too complex.

BACK TO YOUR PROBLEM:
FIRST a WARNING: main reason why the tutorial (Video and PDF file) says it was mainly applicable to K1200LT and K1200RS is because I did not have access to other models for testing and troubleshooting. However, I am well aware other models (R1200RT, R1200CL…) share many of the K1200LT cruise system components.

On your R1200CL, the major differences are related to the throttle-cables and throttle-bodies arrangement. Cables adjustments and throttle-bodies micro-switch operation cannot be checked the same way as a K1200.

Although I do NOT have a R1200CL here for testing, I was able to check the BMW electrical diagrams AND also a technical note published to dealers when the R1200CL was introduced. Based on these 2 technical documents, and also based on your post, I would suggest to attack your problem with these 2 troubleshooting paths:
1) Is the speed signal reaching the cruise-control unit ?
2) Is the cable from throttle cables junction-box to cruise-unit correctly installed / adjusted?

For the 1st item above: there is no need to go into complex electronic testing unless you have negative results in some/all of the following tests:
a) Can you see the SET Yellow light flashing while you do the last step of the static diag procedure (rear wheel rotation)?
b) When you ride, does you speedo function properly?
c) When you ride, does the self-cancel function of the flashers works?

For the 2nd item above (throttle cables): The control-cables junction box is located behind the fairing and headlight assembly both of which require removal to access it. This cable junction box interconnects four cables with two pulleys. It contains the micro-switch that signals the cruise control module when the throttle is turned in the close direction to cancel cruise function (see attached diagram).

If the cable leading to/from the cruise-control unit is not mounted / adjusted properly, you may find the cruise will not engage while riding EVEN IF all the steps of the static diagnostic appear to be OK. Watch and listen carefully what is going on JUST AFTER you released the brake pedal in step 7 of the static diagnostic: you should see (and hear) the throttle grip move by itself. This will confirm that the cruise-control unit can pull its own cable leading to the throttle junction box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	R1200CL_Cruise-control-Junction-box-cables.JPG
Views:	1438
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	85010  

John (Montreal, CANADA)

Last edited by sailor; Jul 17th, 2015 at 6:04 pm.
post #16 of 19 Old Jul 17th, 2015, 3:27 pm

Lots of great info has been posted here.
It's practically irrelevant to this conversation, but my '05 has exhibited cruise setting kick-out during 20 F temps on a long ride maintaining 80-90mph. Would kick off only at around that temp and refused to be set again for hours if at all.
At warmer temps, there is no problem. Still mulling it over....

Bob

2005 KLT Graphite Gray
2003 F650GS Black
*Too slow for fast women
*A little adventure is good for the soul
post #17 of 19 Old Jul 18th, 2015, 10:13 am

Thank you Sailor. I appreciate the time in your response. You know, I had the fairing off to change my headlight bulbs and I didn't think to look. I will print your response and look at this issue more carefully.
Thanks again.

Why don't you come to NH and open a shop? You would have at least one customer!

Ride safe.

Todd
post #18 of 19 Old Apr 7th, 2018, 7:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by want2tour View Post
Lots of great info has been posted here.
It's practically irrelevant to this conversation, but my '05 has exhibited cruise setting kick-out during 20 F temps on a long ride maintaining 80-90mph. Would kick off only at around that temp and refused to be set again for hours if at all.
At warmer temps, there is no problem. Still mulling it over....

Bob

Im getting exactly the same problem!!
But on my bmw k 1200 lt ‘99

Did you solve the problem?

Can someone tell me how i can fix it?
post #19 of 19 Old Apr 7th, 2018, 9:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcy View Post
Im getting exactly the same problem!!
But on my bmw k 1200 lt ‘99

Did you solve the problem?

Can someone tell me how i can fix it?

There is a speed limitation on the cruise control so possibly that may come into play here. I don't think it will set over 100MPH but lets not worry about that for the moment. Most people don't try to set cruise when going that fast.

If you slow down does the cruise set again or does it just intermittently stop working?

Here is a video of a diagnostic you can do and how it is done.

Here is a link to another post on this forum where you can download the test instructions as a PDF. Post #1 by Sailor has a link to download. The instructions have to be followed in the exact order including holding the brake pedal for 5 sec till the light goes off. Any deviation and the test aborts. If you find a component that does not work properly, you can replace or have it replaced. Intermittent things are often difficult to diagnose and especially remotely.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...-tutorial.html

If it stops working and you can safely pull off the highway to run the test, you might find an intermittent component likely one of the micro switches. If cold is an issue, then possibly too stiff a throttle from cables or gunk under the twist grip may be inhibiting movement enough to cause the cruise to not set. Cleaning under the grip or new throttle cables might be in order. Not the most difficult of jobs on the LT but then none are truly easy.

Good luck and with only 3 posts, welcome to the forum.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in