Tipped it over one more time - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jun 1st, 2015, 1:52 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy Tipped it over one more time

33+ years of riding, 7 years of K1200LT ownership and I still tipped my bike over
Never tipped over a bike before I got the LT but I must have tipped over this big German lady about 5 or 6 times since I bought it. It happened again yesterday while coming back from a 2 days trip to the beaches of NC with the trailer and my girl friend. I stopped to get some gas. A lot of people at this gas station. When we were leaving the pump a car just got in front of me while I was about to take off. I did an emergency stop and tipped over. It did no hurt anything or anybody beside my pride. Girl friend is fine, I am fine, even the bike is fine with only a very minor scratch on the wing but gosh it is frustrating! People around must have though that I just got the bike and was still a leaner rider. I love my LT but I hope it would not be that top heavy.

Alain

Vieux motard que jamais
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jun 1st, 2015, 2:44 pm

Re: Tipped it over one more time

I have owned my LT for 10 years now. I am 5'6, 60 years old. I always had trouble wth coming to a slow speed stop like pulling up to a gas pump. It was very wobbly the last few feet until I remembered a very basic skill I learned from being a MSF coach and that is to keep head up looking forward when stopping. If I look at the top of the gas station or something up above me then I stop with no wobble. My guess would be that when you had to make that emergency stop that your handlebars weren't straight when you squeezed your front brake.
Keep your head up!

Marc Pillis- MSF Rider Coach
Union, Kentucky
2005 LT
2004 R1150GS Adventure
2013 DR650
post #3 of 7 Old Jun 1st, 2015, 3:11 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpillis View Post
I have owned my LT for 10 years now. I am 5'6, 60 years old. I always had trouble wth coming to a slow speed stop like pulling up to a gas pump. It was very wobbly the last few feet until I remembered a very basic skill I learned from being a MSF coach and that is to keep head up looking forward when stopping. If I look at the top of the gas station or something up above me then I stop with no wobble. My guess would be that when you had to make that emergency stop that your handlebars weren't straight when you squeezed your front brake.
Keep your head up!
Good advice. Every time except two I've dropped the LT is was at a stop where I wasn't looking ahead. Once because a car cut me off as I was going into a corner, once actually at a MSF course when looking at the line the instructor was pointing at as my parking spot. One other was at a stop but wasn't because I looked down, because if I had I wouldn't have stopped where my front tire and feet both ended up on the painted lines right after a rain storm. Then one where I wasn't on the bike rather trying to put it on the CS while standing on loose oil sorb.

post #4 of 7 Old Jun 2nd, 2015, 5:36 pm

The head up works great. Since I started forcing myself to keep the head up until fully stopped I have been good. I probably just jinxed myself, shit.

Scott
2007 LT
post #5 of 7 Old Jun 2nd, 2015, 5:47 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton View Post
The head up works great. Since I started forcing myself to keep the head up until fully stopped I have been good. I probably just jinxed myself, shit.
Yup, and you'll go down when your the first one to the light, it'll turn green as soon as the bike hits the pavement, then all the cagers going around you will laugh, honk and make rude comments about your bike "shoulda bought a Harley." Been there done that, if you can't stop before the painted lines, blast through!
post #6 of 7 Old Jun 3rd, 2015, 8:21 am

One of the things I do and have become very good at doing is timing stop lights, its like a game to me now. It will accomplish three things for you. When you see a red light slow down so that you arrive when it turns green and you can just roll on the gas and go. Eliminates the stop and possible fall over, eliminates starting from a dead stop thus saving the clutch and it pisses off the cager behind you, because most of them like to go balls to the wall from light to light. I probably am successful 75% of the time and at stop signs I can usually see oncoming traffic and I roll thru them. Sorry officer

Scott
2007 LT
post #7 of 7 Old Jun 3rd, 2015, 8:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpillis View Post
Keep your head up!
Marc, You & I are neighbors - are you still an active MSF coach and are you associated with Balance Dynamics in Walton KY? I took an MSF level 2 course there a couple of years ago shortly after getting my LT - well worth it. Bill (can't remember his last name) was my coach and he was instructing from a Harley Ultra Glide. I was never able to cut as tight a U-turn as him but I sure could stop shorter! I dumped the bike during a e-stop in a curve but that's OK - no harm done. He said there was a coach with an LT but I didn't catch the name. I wouldn't mind repeating the course. I did learn to keep my head up.

Jim
2003 BMW K1200LT (my favorite 2 wheeled land yacht)
2008 Yamaha FJR1300 (recent addition)
1982 Yamaha Vision (long gone)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in