LT for sale - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Jun 1st, 2015, 1:19 pm Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 41
LT for sale

All,

I have been a LT owner for a little over a year and have had nothing but absolute pleasure with the bike. my only problem is the my driveway has a 20+ degree incline and a pain to back out of the garage..

My wife has been after me to sell the bike and get something smaller. I am getting a motorcycle dolly to see if I can turn the bike in my 1 car garage, but until I try that out, the bike has been put up for sale..

in case there is someone you know who might be interested here is the link.

00 K1200LT - Very Clean - PhotoPost Classifieds
Vits2014 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 Old Jun 1st, 2015, 2:15 pm
Senior Member
 
Newf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 353
Re: LT for sale

Does the 00 not have a reverse. My 2005 does.

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Need to stay awake

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Newf is offline  
post #3 of 20 Old Jun 1st, 2015, 2:58 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: West Valley, UT, USA
Posts: 414
Re: LT for sale

Have you tried backing in so you can just pull straight out. I do this with my bike and my car.
I certainly wouldn't want to back down a steep driveway on an LT.

I'm usually not in a hurry when I get home so I have time to back in, I can see everything and everyone in the yard before I start backing and it leaves the vehicle set to go in a hurry if needed.

Using this method prevents backing over toys, bicycles, pets and yes children.
Buff8stuff is offline  
 
post #4 of 20 Old Jun 1st, 2015, 3:30 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 978
Re: LT for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff8stuff View Post
Have you tried backing in so you can just pull straight out. I do this with my bike and my car.
I certainly wouldn't want to back down a steep driveway on an LT.

I'm usually not in a hurry when I get home so I have time to back in, I can see everything and everyone in the yard before I start backing and it leaves the vehicle set to go in a hurry if needed.

Using this method prevents backing over toys, bicycles, pets and yes children.
I back down an incline to my garage, let gravity do the work stay on the front brake and yes backing in always safer with car or bike - defensive driving.

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
gary45 is offline  
post #5 of 20 Old Jun 1st, 2015, 4:09 pm Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 41
I have not tried backing in will do so this weekend once the rains subside.
Vits2014 is offline  
post #6 of 20 Old Jun 1st, 2015, 6:19 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 978
Re: LT for sale

Keep both feet down and use the mirrors, take your time until you get used to it, if you turn your head you may lose balance.

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
gary45 is offline  
post #7 of 20 Old Jun 1st, 2015, 6:33 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: West Valley, UT, USA
Posts: 414
Re: LT for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary45 View Post
Keep both feet down and use the mirrors, take your time until you get used to it, if you turn your head you may lose balance.
+1
Buff8stuff is offline  
post #8 of 20 Old Jun 1st, 2015, 6:58 pm
Senior Member
 
dvgb131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Guilderland, NY, USA
Posts: 207
Garage
Re: LT for sale

Will the starter drag 900+ pounds up a 20% grade?
If so, how many times?

Doug B.
2000 LT purchased July 2013
dvgb131 is offline  
post #9 of 20 Old Jun 1st, 2015, 8:21 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: West Valley, UT, USA
Posts: 414
Re: LT for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvgb131 View Post
Will the starter drag 900+ pounds up a 20% grade?
If so, how many times?
My driveway isn't that steep except right where it meets the street, there it brings my feet off the ground for just a second. It has never been a struggle, the motor doesn't even slow down. I back into parking spaces as well so my reverser gets plenty of use.

Maybe one of the wrencher extraordinaires will catch this thread and give us a better idea of how much the starter motor can take.
Buff8stuff is offline  
post #10 of 20 Old Jun 1st, 2015, 8:57 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire
 
jzeiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hazel Green, AL, USA
Posts: 13,300
Re: LT for sale

Well considering the ratio on reverse is 115.7 to 1, I would think it could do that all day long (until it overheated and burned up that is). But 20-30 ft should not be a strain on it.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jzeiler is offline  
post #11 of 20 Old Jun 1st, 2015, 11:59 pm
Senior Member
 
want2tour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Sandpoint, ID area
Posts: 275
Re: LT for sale

Sounds a lot like my driveway which I can sled on. With me, I just have to plan ahead & move cars, make a good clear area, keep the garage door button in my pocket and aim for the flat, skinny tarmac in front of the garage.
That, and being willing to do a 16 pt turn at times on the small flat area.

And never, ever taking the bike off the center stand, then thinking you can balance the bike AND lean far enough to read the oil site glass. Fricking embarassing.

I think the right dolly set would make your life easier in a limited space though.

One thing I'm vigilant against is the idea that if the bike falls over on a downhill slope, it'll take two men and a mule to get it upright.

Probably not helping here, am I?

Bob

2005 KLT Graphite Gray
2003 F650GS Black
*Too slow for fast women
*A little adventure is good for the soul
want2tour is offline  
post #12 of 20 Old Jun 2nd, 2015, 7:09 am
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Cary, IL
Posts: 9
Re: LT for sale

I have a steep driveway as well. I pull all the way up to the top right before the garage horizontally. Then I am on more level ground and back the bike in. If I use the mirrors I can cut it right and get it in with momentum from walking the bike backwards, but at times I don't cut it fight and have to straighten it out and then use reverse. Its the only place I have needed reverse is to get it in the garage backwards. It is always best to back first so when you are ready to leave you can pull straight out.
caryswimcoach is offline  
post #13 of 20 Old Jun 2nd, 2015, 8:41 am Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 41
Re: LT for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by want2tour View Post
Sounds a lot like my driveway which I can sled on. With me, I just have to plan ahead & move cars, make a good clear area, keep the garage door button in my pocket and aim for the flat, skinny tarmac in front of the garage.
That, and being willing to do a 16 pt turn at times on the small flat area.

And never, ever taking the bike off the center stand, then thinking you can balance the bike AND lean far enough to read the oil site glass. Fricking embarassing.

I think the right dolly set would make your life easier in a limited space though.

One thing I'm vigilant against is the idea that if the bike falls over on a downhill slope, it'll take two men and a mule to get it upright.

Probably not helping here, am I?

Bob
Bob, this is my exact problem and the other issue is that there is almost no flat surface in front of the garage.. well not flat enough.. the to heaviness of the bike adds to the misery of a constant fear of tipping over.. and hence never attempted that.. also with the probability of my feet coming off the ground where the driveway meets the road am afraid to use the reverse.. have ordered a dolly and will see if that helps.

meanwhile, if anyone knows an wanna-be LT owner, please refer me.
Vits2014 is offline  
post #14 of 20 Old Jun 3rd, 2015, 2:18 am
Senior Member
 
want2tour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Sandpoint, ID area
Posts: 275
Re: LT for sale

Would you be able to just cruise into the garage without stopping? That is if you have a space for it. If that works and IF you could put the bike on a lazy susan (dolly)& spin it around like choo choo in a roundhouse?
Regarding feet not reaching the ground, would significantly taller boots help? I sometimes use logging boots (carhartt). With the heel, I'm about 2" taller. Maybe would give you a confidence boost when you cross the low area.
Bob

2005 KLT Graphite Gray
2003 F650GS Black
*Too slow for fast women
*A little adventure is good for the soul
want2tour is offline  
post #15 of 20 Old Jun 3rd, 2015, 2:22 am
Senior Member
 
want2tour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Sandpoint, ID area
Posts: 275
Re: LT for sale

Can also let out some of the rear spring preload adj to lower the bike a tad.

2005 KLT Graphite Gray
2003 F650GS Black
*Too slow for fast women
*A little adventure is good for the soul
want2tour is offline  
post #16 of 20 Old Jun 3rd, 2015, 12:25 pm
Senior Member
 
Moogie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Hamilton, Oh., Butler
Posts: 187
Re: LT for sale

A while back someone came up with a way to turn the bike around using some kind of slip pad on the garage floor after they put it on the center stand. Seems like it worked out pretty well. Maybe someone remembers it and can help him out.

2000 Lt
800 Kawasaki
25 yrs. without
750 Suzuki
550 Suzuki
160 Honda









The ride is fresh under diamond skies, makes me glad to be alive.
Moogie is offline  
post #17 of 20 Old Jun 3rd, 2015, 12:50 pm
Senior Member
 
want2tour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Sandpoint, ID area
Posts: 275
Re: LT for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogie View Post
A while back someone came up with a way to turn the bike around using some kind of slip pad on the garage floor after they put it on the center stand. Seems like it worked out pretty well. Maybe someone remembers it and can help him out.
Yes, while I never saw that post, an inexpensive 2'x2' piece of lexan or plexi would make a decent "spinner" and being not be very thick (1/4" at most), would create no extra work putting on center stand. I'm going to hafta test that out myself.
Bob

2005 KLT Graphite Gray
2003 F650GS Black
*Too slow for fast women
*A little adventure is good for the soul
want2tour is offline  
post #18 of 20 Old Jun 4th, 2015, 2:07 pm
Senior Member
 
Pstrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 128
Re: LT for sale

Same for me. I live on a hill and my driveway is steeply sloped. I'm 5'9 30"inseam so I'm on my toes backing it out of the garage. At first I was really nervous with the weight but have figured it out. Using the front brake I slowly back down with leaning forward a bit an that helps me control it much better. I can now turn it far enough on the slope now to start it and drive out. Slow is key.
Pstrman is offline  
post #19 of 20 Old Jun 4th, 2015, 6:36 pm
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 2
Re: LT for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff8stuff View Post
My driveway isn't that steep except right where it meets the street, there it brings my feet off the ground for just a second. It has never been a struggle, the motor doesn't even slow down. I back into parking spaces as well so my reverser gets plenty of use.

Maybe one of the wrencher extraordinaires will catch this thread and give us a better idea of how much the starter motor can take.
If I remember correctly, the manual says not to use reverse for longer than 1 minute at a time. Seems you could get a long ways in a minute.

However, I know I've seen rotating stands or platforms that are designed specifically to allow a person to rotate their bike in a garage. I'd suggest asking my good friend Google about that.

OK, just Googles "motorcycle rotating stand" and got a ton of hits. There are professional rotating stands as well as DYI. As you're needs/wallet/ability to build will determine if something here will work, I'll suggest you Google the same phrase. GL.

Last edited by SBrien; Jun 4th, 2015 at 6:45 pm. Reason: more info available
SBrien is offline  
post #20 of 20 Old Jun 4th, 2015, 9:33 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: West Valley, UT, USA
Posts: 414
Re: LT for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBrien View Post
If I remember correctly, the manual says not to use reverse for longer than 1 minute at a time. Seems you could get a long ways in a minute.

However, I know I've seen rotating stands or platforms that are designed specifically to allow a person to rotate their bike in a garage. I'd suggest asking my good friend Google about that.

OK, just Googles "motorcycle rotating stand" and got a ton of hits. There are professional rotating stands as well as DYI. As you're needs/wallet/ability to build will determine if something here will work, I'll suggest you Google the same phrase. GL.
I've thought about getting a Park-n-Move for years, but not for pulling in and turning. I have to stuff my bike in a corner of the garage for a couple of months every year so we can get both cages and both bikes in.

My driveway isn't long so it takes me less than a minute to back in. I've backed everything in for years and years. I worked for a oilfield transport company in the 70s that required all vehicles to be backed in. I found I preferred it that way.
Buff8stuff is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome