Read speakers - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old May 31st, 2015, 1:59 pm Thread Starter

Read speakers

My rear speakers stop working could have been when I had her undressed (my first time) to change air and fuel filters last fall.
l
Today armed with Mr Zieler's disc I am going to flush the brakes and thought I would fix the speakers too

I have taken the ratio console off (again) and there are 4 wires I can not identify One with a black globe on it so I assume that is a temp sensor. One with a blank plug in it so nothing else can plunged into it. And 2 white plugs one with a white and yellow wire and the other just a white I guess these are the speaker wires but cant find where plug them in

Any thoughts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jun 3rd, 2015, 11:46 am Thread Starter

Re: Rear speakers

Pictures help This is left side underside of the radio console
[IMG][/IMG]

The four wires in question center Pic, the two white plugs the on black with a plug between them and black globe to the right
Any of these with nowhere to go a reason my rear speakers don't work
One of the white plugs look like it goes to the GPS harness (GPS didn't come with the bike)
Any thoughts
post #3 of 12 Old Jun 3rd, 2015, 1:20 pm

Steve,
Have you identified the plug that heads off to the rear speakers and do you have an ohm meter? If you have a clymer manual, it calls out the color code for the rear spkrs as blue/red & blue/yellow for one spkr and yellow & yellow/blue for the other.
My LT is on a lift elsewhere, but if memory serves, the plug is the round, twist style plug just under the left edge of the tank cover. If you can get a reading of around 4 ohms per pair, then your problem is between the plug and the radio head.
I don't think the color code changed any from 2000 to 2005.

The corresponding pin #'s at the radio head are 6 & 14 and 3 & 12 for the pairs.
It goes w/o saying to make sure the twist-lock plug is was fully engaged before you tear into the stingray. You can also try spraying contact cleaner into each end of the twist-lock plug in case you have poor contact on the pins. But if you lost both rear spkrs, then the whole twist-lock plug might be high on the suspect list(ie: loose plug).

2005 KLT Graphite Gray
2003 F650GS Black
*Too slow for fast women
*A little adventure is good for the soul

post #4 of 12 Old Jun 3rd, 2015, 4:52 pm Thread Starter

If it is the twist lock then I shall try contact cleaner and ohm meter
I assumes it had to do with those 4 plugs I can not identify in the picture nor have anything to plug them into
post #5 of 12 Old Jun 3rd, 2015, 8:16 pm

Garage

something has been removed, the speaker is the large round twist connector. dont forget to check the connectors under the rear seat

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #6 of 12 Old Jun 4th, 2015, 11:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMcg View Post
If it is the twist lock then I shall try contact cleaner and ohm meter
I assumes it had to do with those 4 plugs I can not identify in the picture nor have anything to plug them into
Yesterday, I think I noticed your model yr is 2009. Not sure what, if anything changed since 2005, which is what my intel is based upon.
Bob

2005 KLT Graphite Gray
2003 F650GS Black
*Too slow for fast women
post #7 of 12 Old Jun 4th, 2015, 12:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by want2tour View Post
Steve,
Have you identified the plug that heads off to the rear speakers and do you have an ohm meter? If you have a clymer manual, it calls out the color code for the rear spkrs as blue/red & blue/yellow for one spkr and yellow & yellow/blue for the other.
My LT is on a lift elsewhere, but if memory serves, the plug is the round, twist style plug just under the left edge of the tank cover. If you can get a reading of around 4 ohms per pair, then your problem is between the plug and the radio head.
I don't think the color code changed any from 2000 to 2005.

The corresponding pin #'s at the radio head are 6 & 14 and 3 & 12 for the pairs.
It goes w/o saying to make sure the twist-lock plug is was fully engaged before you tear into the stingray. You can also try spraying contact cleaner into each end of the twist-lock plug in case you have poor contact on the pins. But if you lost both rear spkrs, then the whole twist-lock plug might be high on the suspect list(ie: loose plug).
Steve, something else you can do, is to disconnect the twist lock connector, & set your ohm/volt meter on dc volts. Assuming you've identified your spkr pairs, turn key to accessory, turn on the radio or put in a cd, then meter the rear spkr pins of the twist lock connector coming from the radio.

On each pair, you should see a small amt of dc voltage. Probably between 1 & 2 volts on each pair if I remember correctly, but it will be pretty low voltage. This would tell you that you're getting output from the radio, which means you shouldn't have to pull the radio. If you have a digital meter, you won't have to worry about polarity to see reading. (apologies if I'm stating things you already know)

If you have appropriate ohms readings on the other half of the plug, proving that the rear spkr circuits are good from the connector, then perhaps the culprit is the twist plug itself.

Bob

2005 KLT Graphite Gray
2003 F650GS Black
*Too slow for fast women
post #8 of 12 Old Jun 4th, 2015, 9:12 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Bob
post #9 of 12 Old Jun 4th, 2015, 9:44 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Bob
Looking at my chiltons I think I locates a pair of speaker wires so I used a multi meter and it read about 2 Volts so I found another connector by the trunk with the same color wires opened it and got the same reading ... turned off the radio no reading , back on same reading, so I now think the problem in the trunk
So I am putting the tupperware back on, ride it the weekend and try again some night after work next week
Thanks for the reeducation Ive long forgotten some of the diagnostics
Steve
post #10 of 12 Old Jun 5th, 2015, 12:19 pm

Re: Read speakers

Just a thought. You have checked the fader control to make sure it's not all the way to the front?

2003 LTE ( Big Silver Cow)
2000 Buell S3T (Little Black Beauty)
198? Yamaha 650 (Sold )
1974 Honda CB 750 (wish I still had it!)
1972 Honda CB350 (Crashed)
197? Honda 50 Mini Bike (Long Gone)
post #11 of 12 Old Jun 5th, 2015, 1:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMcg View Post
Thanks Bob
Looking at my chiltons I think I locates a pair of speaker wires so I used a multi meter and it read about 2 Volts so I found another connector by the trunk with the same color wires opened it and got the same reading ... turned off the radio no reading , back on same reading, so I now think the problem in the trunk
So I am putting the tupperware back on, ride it the weekend and try again some night after work next week
Thanks for the reeducation Ive long forgotten some of the diagnostics
Steve
Steve,
Did we establish that you DO have sound at the front spkrs? And as Newbuellertoo mentioned, the fader is not dialed all the way forward?
You established that you're getting rear spkr signal from the radio. And while the twist conn is separated, do you see approx 4+ ohms on each pr headed to rear spkrs?
If you see the ohm readings of the spkrs, then allowing for a connection problem at the twist conn, everything should work. If one or both pairs are reading something else or nothing at at, then your prob is definitely somewhere south of there. Trace it out. Divide & conquer.

If you get ohms readings on both of them, make sure to shoot for foreign grounds on all 4 conducors. Sorry, I still don't know the scope of your expertise, but just compare all rear spkr conductors to a known ground using the same ohm scale.. If you see continuity to a ground, which could be attenuating the signal to the spkrs, then track it down & eliminate the ground.
If there's a ground or short across both pairs, I'd be looking near the hinge/pivot points of the trunk, as sometimes wires get pinched or chafed.

If it all looks normal, just for fun, I gotta ask: You got the volume turned up on the rear control?
Bob

2005 KLT Graphite Gray
2003 F650GS Black
*Too slow for fast women
post #12 of 12 Old Jun 5th, 2015, 4:37 pm Thread Starter

Yes sound in the front, power to the last connector before the wiring harness goes into the trunk
Didnt think check for resistance after I summarized the problem in in the trunk
Volume control in the back controls the Radio, and yes the fader was mostly to the back during my testing
So I put the tupperware back on after flushing all brake circuits, took it for a ride and no abs warning light indicating air in the system
So Ill ride this weekend and start again one night next week
Steve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in