Clutch advice - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Hilton

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old May 31st, 2015, 1:24 pm Thread Starter

Clutch advice

at 75k the clutch on my 2000 lt was slipping at full throttle and 4k rmp, so I decided the job had to be done.

Currently everything is apart and the clutch is out (hooray - that was quite a job). but now I need some advice.

1) There is no oil to be seen, no weeping seals. so do I leave things that aren't broke well alone, or take the opportunity to replace them?

2) the friction material measures 5.3mm and Clymer says that I should be OK to 4.6. so why was it slipping?
currently I plan to replace the clutch and diaphragm spring (maybe that wasn't pushing hard enough). any other suggestions?

3) like a complete ****, I was explaining / showing my son how a clutch worked so did NOT mark the Clutch cover plate. so I guess I have a one in three change of it going back the same. If I want to get the balance checked I assume I need to remove the flywheel off the crank and get all 3 parts balanced together?

4) in dropping the engine to split off the tranny the inlet pipe have come off the motor- did I do something wrong? will they just seal up when I lift the engine, or do I need to take even more of the bike apart now.

any help much appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old May 31st, 2015, 1:49 pm

Re: Clutch advice

is the piston in your slave moving freely, you should be able to push it all the way back into the cylinder, good idea to grease the bearing.

clutch springs can fail, good idea to replace and it probably would not hurt to replace the engine main oil seal, you will need a new O ring.

with the rubber boot, probably have to remove clamp, the screw type used on the top will work on the bottom, you have to be careful how you position them so they do not interfere with throttle parts opening and closing

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #3 of 5 Old May 31st, 2015, 2:03 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft-Jim View Post
at 75k the clutch on my 2000 lt was slipping at full throttle and 4k rmp, so I decided the job had to be done.

Currently everything is apart and the clutch is out (hooray - that was quite a job). but now I need some advice.

1) There is no oil to be seen, no weeping seals. so do I leave things that aren't broke well alone, or take the opportunity to replace them?

2) the friction material measures 5.3mm and Clymer says that I should be OK to 4.6. so why was it slipping?
currently I plan to replace the clutch and diaphragm spring (maybe that wasn't pushing hard enough). any other suggestions?

3) like a complete ****, I was explaining / showing my son how a clutch worked so did NOT mark the Clutch cover plate. so I guess I have a one in three change of it going back the same. If I want to get the balance checked I assume I need to remove the flywheel off the crank and get all 3 parts balanced together?

4) in dropping the engine to split off the tranny the inlet pipe have come off the motor- did I do something wrong? will they just seal up when I lift the engine, or do I need to take even more of the bike apart now.

any help much appreciated
If the bike was 3 years old with 30,000 miles, I would say leave well enough alone. 15 years old with 75K miles ... I would replace every rubber/plastic part that I could.

Not sure why your clutch would slip. Any signs of excessive heat? Any sign of distress of the slave cylinder? I would replace the slave and its hydraulic hose as PM.

I think you are supposed to release the air intakes before lowering the engine.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old May 31st, 2015, 7:28 pm

Garage

as others said definitely do the rear main and the viton ring and slave cyl.
You could get them balanced, I wouldn't worry, as to the tb's yep I did that also, just buy new ones, and fit them after the engine is back in place, they are a one time use clamp. the step you missed was unscrewing the bottom clamp on each tb

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #5 of 5 Old May 31st, 2015, 8:40 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage

All of the above plus regarding balance.
You have the 3 parts off you need to balance anyway to replace the
rear seal.
I used my wheel balancer ( Marc Panes ) which is very sensitive, to mark the heavy spots and assembled 120ļ apart.
Smooth as butter !!

HTH
Patric likes this.

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in