LT Drop Poll results are in.... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old Oct 18th, 2005, 9:51 pm Thread Starter
Rider Journeyman

LT Drop Poll results are in....

Howdy Gang,

A poll was taken to determine just what the numbers are regarding dropping of the LT. Note: This was not a scientific poll.

The question was simple, "Have I dropped an LT?" and limited to the LT, "We're only talking about the LT." There were 302 responses. Thank you for participating.

The responses were:
"Yes, I have dropped a K1200LT." 222 said they had. That is 73.5%
and,
"No, I haven't dropped a K1200LT...yet." 80 lucky, okay... skillful ...individuals gave this reply. This is 26.5%

My apologies to those that objected to the phrasing of the "No" response

In summary, roughly 3 out of 4 have dropped a K1200LT at least once

I'm not sure what this may mean relative to other motorcycles. It would be interesting to compare the LT to other large touring motorcycles. Without additional data, the inference is that the LT is a challenging motorcycle to maintain control of 100% of the time at low speed, or not moving. But then you knew that....Duh!

Here is the actual POLL for your review.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Oct 18th, 2005, 11:48 pm

Exclamation

Um, I might have made an error.
My vote was a yes for dropping an LT, but it was a K100LT. and that was drunk pushing it around in the garage, not actually riding it. I hope this doesn't throw off your results.
post #3 of 25 Old Oct 19th, 2005, 12:45 am Thread Starter
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by edonthenet
Um, I might have made an error.
My vote was a yes for dropping an LT, but it was a K100LT. and that was drunk pushing it around in the garage, not actually riding it. I hope this doesn't throw off your results.
Howdy Ed,

Which part do you think throws off the poll? Pushing the bike? Being drunk? In the Garage? Don't see anything there that would skew the results, been there, done that

K100LT? Okay, so we'll drop the total to 221 drops

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

post #4 of 25 Old Oct 19th, 2005, 10:56 am

Red face LT Drop

I would be interesting to ask the same question to Goldwing riders. This 75% of drops is an amazing figure. Very high! I had several drops with heavy bikes but this result seem particularly high. It should mean something wrong with the height of the "gravity center" ( I don't know if this is the technical word!). Bike is heavy for sure but seem to be bad balanced. Lot of weight too high!
One more point. It would be interesting to know if these drops occured in reverse position. I have my LT since 6 weeks and it occured to me already once in reverse down from the pavement with the handlebar not straight.
post #5 of 25 Old Oct 19th, 2005, 11:56 am

and while we are at it, how many of the Wings escaped with little or no damage from said mishap?
post #6 of 25 Old Oct 19th, 2005, 12:15 pm

Question

The poll should include not only if you dropped an K1200LT but how many TIMES did you drop the LT.
post #7 of 25 Old Oct 19th, 2005, 2:42 pm

6 (4 inexperience -1 before I bought it.) (2x stupidity) Next one who knows.
post #8 of 25 Old Oct 19th, 2005, 5:59 pm

dropped any other bike? nope

been riding for a couple days, can't think of a time when I dropped any other bike other then the LT. Layed them down at speed, crashed em, but never dropped one.

The LT? only once but I have come sooooo close soooo many times that if she wasn't such a great ride at speed I would probably switch.
post #9 of 25 Old Oct 20th, 2005, 9:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1951
I would be interesting to ask the same question to Goldwing riders. This 75% of drops is an amazing figure. Very high! I had several drops with heavy bikes but this result seem particularly high. It should mean something wrong with the height of the "gravity center" ( I don't know if this is the technical word!). Bike is heavy for sure but seem to be bad balanced. Lot of weight too high!
One more point. It would be interesting to know if these drops occured in reverse position. I have my LT since 6 weeks and it occured to me already once in reverse down from the pavement with the handlebar not straight.
That's 75% of those people who RESPONDED who own K1200LT (except for one person). The question is. Are people more likely to participate if they dropped their LT? Could a vast majority of those have dropped their LTs participated and the vast majority that haven't, didn't participate? We don't really have any way of knowing.
post #10 of 25 Old Oct 20th, 2005, 10:42 am

Michael Jordan makes a very valid point.
I have dropped mine (bike) 3 or 4 times over the last 4 months, due either to tiredness, uneven ground or not thinking when stopped, and always with a passenger and luggage onboard.
And when she goes, she goes, no point in fighting it.
The ONLY noticeable damage, apart to my pride, is on the chrome fittings on the side cases.
If I knew then what I know now, I would have stuck some rubber protectors on them, and then there would be NO visible damage.
Great design !

Last edited by simoncharles; Oct 20th, 2005 at 1:05 pm.
post #11 of 25 Old Oct 20th, 2005, 11:04 am

LT Drop Poll Results are in

Ok, so I missed the poll.

No, I've never dropped a bike.

I did put my LT down the first day I had it on a left turn. Slid down, caught my toe and broke my ankle.

Now, it's triked, so I don't worry about putting it down.

I don't think the weight/gravity problem is as severe for those over 6 feet tall, but if your inseam is less than 34", you might have some problems. It is a tall bike for sure.

While shopping, I test "sat" on several bikes including the HD and GWs. BMW is the tallest in the stride area.

Triker

Longmont, CO
2005 LT Hannigan Trike
post #12 of 25 Old May 1st, 2006, 4:01 pm

I just got my 01 K1200 LT yesterday and almost dumped it starting off in a turn. I have been riding my Kawasaki Voyager for about 5 years and have had a similar experience early on, but after I got used to it I didn't come that close. I find the BMW very easy to keep upright if I'm paying attention. I think I'll try to get it rolling straight first then turn once I'm on the pegs. That should prevent any problems.
post #13 of 25 Old May 1st, 2006, 4:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker
I don't think the weight/gravity problem is as severe for those over 6 feet tall, but if your inseam is less than 34", you might have some problems. It is a tall bike for sure.
I'm 6'3" with a 34" inseam, and would vouch for that statement. HOWEVER...when she wants to lay down, it don't matter how tall or strong you are...she's going DOWN! (And when your foot goes in a pothole, your inseam gets shorter in a hurry. Don't ask me how I know.)
post #14 of 25 Old May 1st, 2006, 6:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Iwhen she wants to lay down, it don't matter how tall or strong you are...she's going down
I think I might have to disagree with that one. When I was 355lbs, I won almost all the wrestling matches.
Now that I'm 255lbs, she eye gouges me then takes me straight to the mat with a choke hold. (Get the ref to check my bike for illegal objects)
That said, I'm really gonna mess up the count, I didn't know we were counting LT100, I've had 3 of them, dropped them all more than twice. In fact I have never had a bike that I didn't drop, except for the VW trike I built. (almost flipped it backwards)
Rock
post #15 of 25 Old May 1st, 2006, 6:22 pm

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRock
I think I might have to disagree with that one. When I was 355lbs, I won almost all the wrestling matches.
Now that I'm 255lbs, she eye gouges me then takes me straight to the mat with a choke hold. (Get the ref to check my bike for illegal objects)
Good one Rock!!!
post #16 of 25 Old May 1st, 2006, 6:28 pm

Quote:
I don't want them to "Fix" the "COG" for low speed if it messes up the way it handles the curves !!

James Ranks
2008 BMW R1200RT 7200 miles
2005 BMW R1200GS 13000 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha FZ1 (Sold) 11000 miles
2002 BMW K1200LTC 29900 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha VSTAR-650 Silverado (Sold) 9100 miles
post #17 of 25 Old May 2nd, 2006, 2:46 pm

I have had my 05

I have had my 05 LT for 6 months and 8000 miles and have yet to drop it. That being said I will tell you that I have come very close more times than I can count. My previous bike was a GS 1100 which I never dropped in 8 years. It is only a matter of time before the LT lands on the ground. I am near 6 ft and 250 lbs and have good strenght and there is no way I can stop the fall when it comes. I just hope I am not under it when it happens. I too, would not have this bike if it wasn't should a good long distant machine. I have learned many new tricks to compensate for the low speed clumsyness of this bike. I try hard to never go off the pavement, I am very careful when parking, and I never ever move the bike unless I am on it. I have asked BMW to lose a 100 pounds and lower the center of gravity and they would have the bike of the century. I hope they were listening.
post #18 of 25 Old May 2nd, 2006, 5:59 pm

Quote:
I seriously doubt that there are many Wing fallovers. The wings motor is lower and forward making it very well balanced at little or no speed. I have leaned my (past owned wing) much farther over to get the feel of the bike and never got to the point where it felt as heavy as the LT. I did drop it once leaving my driveway backing up (3 bad angles). The engine guard had a minor scuff and no other damage (They work extremely well) and I was able to pick the bike up much easier than when I dropped my LT. You gotta give credit where credit is due!

Airborne "Never Forget"
Vonore, TN

2003 LT-E "HLZ BNZ"
2004 Rune "PNS EXTN"
1970 ZA-50 "JR"

post #19 of 25 Old May 2nd, 2006, 6:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborneod
I seriously doubt that there are many Wing fallovers.

[snip]

I did drop it once leaving my driveway backing up (3 bad angles).
I find those two statements terribly ironic in the same post.

And I have read through several threads on Gold Wing forums where members complained of dropping their Wings. Not for the same reasons the LT goes down though. The Wings are being ridden typically by older gentlemen who just ain't as spry as they once were.
post #20 of 25 Old May 2nd, 2006, 6:25 pm

Lower CG not equal more stable (? does it?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickkonarska
I have had my 05
... I have asked BMW to lose a 100 pounds and lower the center of gravity and they would have the bike of the century. I hope they were listening.
My first year w/ my '05 I was frightened by it's weight, CG... and it fell over on me (for things I just later learned not to do) a couple of times.

My second year (05 - a full year) it seemed just not a problem. Had I just gotten used to it?
I volunteer for Ride4Kids (a Honda Riders sponsored event), and last summer in Chicago I road in the front 20 (volunteered to take a kid). There were over 2000 bikes, and many wings up front (I was the only LT in the event). In slow (formation) turns, I would constantly be watching the wings around me "wobble" (we're talking 2-3MPH probably) and was always watching to give them enough room. Heck, even on return, the wings around me commented on how "rock steady" that LT seemed to them. With the '05 steering geometry, my experience is the same (steady even at very slow speed).

Was the Wing I rode easier to keep upright at a standstill? You bet. Was it more steady, easier to point going slow or fast? Felt twitchy to me by comparison to the LT, and to the longtime Wing riders around me - at least at that one event.

It's all design tradeoffs - I've just come to the point where I LIKE the LT - it's handling, steadiness at slow speed, ease of pointing at other speeds, and the fallover thingy about it just no longer bothers / scares / concerns me (but - yah! - it will fall over sooner, easier than a Wing, and not as easy to pick up).

Great thing about having good choices to pick from - you're more likely to get something you'll be happy with!
post #21 of 25 Old May 3rd, 2006, 9:33 am

With the high survey results on drops does anyone have a good technique for picking it up after the fall? (just in case)

Thanks!
post #22 of 25 Old May 3rd, 2006, 9:50 am

Exclamation Reverse Pick-Up Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by makinne
With the high survey results on drops does anyone have a good technique for picking it up after the fall? (just in case)
Forum member 'munson' has an awesome demonstration video of lifting the LT. You can download it by right-clicking HERE, then select 'Save Target As...'. You'll need QuickTime to view it.

HTH
post #23 of 25 Old May 3rd, 2006, 10:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Forum member 'munson' has an awesome demonstration video of lifting the LT. You can download it by right-clicking HERE, then select 'Save Target As...'. You'll need QuickTime to view it.

HTH

Thanks a bunch Joe!!
post #24 of 25 Old May 3rd, 2006, 2:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjordans2000
and while we are at it, how many of the Wings escaped with little or no damage from said mishap?
I posted my response and quoted the wrong post....so sorry. As far as dropping my old wing, I was backing it down my driveway (steep angle) where the driveway meets the street I ran out of leg legnth (my foot didn't touch) the ground. Only damage was my pride.

Airborne "Never Forget"
Vonore, TN

2003 LT-E "HLZ BNZ"
2004 Rune "PNS EXTN"
1970 ZA-50 "JR"

post #25 of 25 Old May 3rd, 2006, 11:40 pm

Unhappy

Increase the percentage on the poll...I dropped my 2000 about 4 times....but have not dropped the 05 at all yet. Every drop was something stupid...low speed tight turns....angled/sloped parking lots making tight manuvers etc. Of course however...the last one was alcohol related and I broke my ankle when I was stupid enough to try to hold it up from falling in a parking lot....it slowly rolled forward while my ankle was trapped underneath the bag...and you cannot imagine the pain of hearing all the tendons in your ankle tear out one after another before the ankle bone finally got broke. SO....just let it fall guys!!!! It never breaks anything on the bike and you get used to hearing the noise of it hitting the ground after 3 times.....

If its got tits or an engine you're gonna have trouble with it

05 Graphite K1200LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in