Hauling two K1200LTs... - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 7Likes
  • 3 Post By Scouter-50
  • 1 Post By katnapinn
  • 2 Post By CharlieVT
  • 1 Post By Scouter-50
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old May 28th, 2015, 7:17 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
rowie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: An hour southwest of Boston, MA, USA
Posts: 476
Hauling two K1200LTs...

I am planning a trip to Colorado with a buddy and we're thinking we'll haul the bikes to somewhere near and ride the rest of the way (it's not a very interesting super slab drive, and it's a long way from here). Since their wet weight is 900lbs each, and they're physically large bikes, had anyone hauled two? How big (width x height) and what kind of trailer? Would a trailer rated for 1800lbs really do it or would that be too risky? I welcome your thoughts.

BMWMOA member

Current rides:
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic BMW K1200LT
2002 Pearl Orange Honda VTX1800 Retro

Prior rides:
Suzuki GS425E (Australia)
Suzuki T250R (Australia)
rowie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old May 28th, 2015, 8:36 pm
Guest
 
2191's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Danielsville, PA, USA
Posts: 747
Red face Re: Hauling two K1200LTs...

The trailer is a little small. U-Haul may have a better trailer.
Also what is the tow vehicle. What is the weight of all your other gear.

If I were to be loading the trailer, I would place one face forward and the other facing to the rear.

I am live in Danielsville, PA. look up my phone # in the anonymous book, if you want to talk.
2191 is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old May 29th, 2015, 5:33 am
Senior Member
 
Scouter-50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Columbus, Texas, USA
Posts: 1,286
Re: Hauling two K1200LTs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemmerbiker View Post
The trailer is a little small. U-Haul may have a better trailer.
Also what is the tow vehicle. What is the weight of all your other gear.

If I were to be loading the trailer, I would place one face forward and the other facing to the rear.

I am live in Danielsville, PA. look up my phone # in the anonymous book, if you want to talk.
George, I had a problem with a rear facing bike on a trailer. I loaded my sidecar rig on a trailer backwards leaving from Big Bend, the windshield snapped off halfway up. All I could figure is that the forces of the wind in reverse exceeded the strength of the windshield. They aren't designed for high speed in reverse.

Robert
radar41, Patric and LTguy like this.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)


2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Scouter-50 is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 Old May 29th, 2015, 7:25 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
 
katnapinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Kyle, Texas, USA
Posts: 8,597
Re: Hauling two K1200LTs...

I've haul 2 Lt's a few times for work. A 6ft X 8Ft trailer is big enough to haul them both. Get two wheel chocks, mount one to the floor of the tailer as far forward as you can & as far to the left side as you can. I would roll the bike onto the trailer as far to the left then mark the position on the front wheel so you know where to put the left chock. Put the chock on the right side about 14 inched back from the front of the trailer and as far to the right as you can. This will stager the bikes keeping the handlebars from hitting.
CaliDefector likes this.

Stevie Shreeve
katnapinn is offline  
post #5 of 15 Old May 29th, 2015, 12:23 pm
Senior Member
 
norton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Doylestown, Pa, usa
Posts: 787
Re: Hauling two K1200LTs...

I would check with your local trailer sales place as the one where I bought my trailer rents them. They will even set it up with chocks and straps. I would get an enclosed trailer to keep the rain, dust and especially thieves and vandals from stealing or screwing with the bikes. My many years of towing bikes taught me do not buy or use cheap/under rated straps. Also strap the rear wheels. If you run a strap around a wheel put a thick cotton cloth between strap and wheel. I always put two straps on each side at the front forks and one on each rear saddle bag frame. Then one through the rear wheel to stop forward motion in case of front end collision. Also make sure if enclosed it has at least two vents which most do. Obviously make sure the tires are good not cracked worn or dry rotted and the spare is in good condition. Make sure you take a jack that will work on the trailer.

Good Luck

Scott
2007 LT
norton is offline  
post #6 of 15 Old May 29th, 2015, 4:03 pm
Senior Member
 
CharlieVT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: The Deep South of Vermont
Posts: 4,395
Re: Hauling two K1200LTs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowie View Post
I am planning a trip to Colorado with a buddy and we're thinking we'll haul the bikes to somewhere near and ride the rest of the way (it's not a very interesting super slab drive, and it's a long way from here). .... I welcome your thoughts.
Okay, my thoughts.
Ummm... not trying to be a "pita" here but the ride isn't that bad. We've done the mid-west a few times, two up. Corn, sunflowers, corn, more corn; sort of depending on what latitude you take....sometimes the cross winds have really sucked, but hey, cross winds are going to suck pulling a trailer too, no?

You'd rather hunt around for a trailer, load bikes, pull the trailer loaded with bikes, than just throw a leg over the bike and head out there? I'd question that premise.

Just suggesting a reality check here. Since you asked, I say forget the trailer and plan on riding out there. Pick a few interesting stops along the way. Use the time and money you save by not renting and loading a trailer and: 1) get a massage in a luxury motel (there must be at least one in Kansas.), 2) by some brews in a local bar and taunt the locals about how BMWs are better than Harleys, 3) go tubing down some river with a six pack, 4) fill in your best option here
Patric and txvoyager like this.

Last edited by CharlieVT; May 29th, 2015 at 4:10 pm.
CharlieVT is online now  
post #7 of 15 Old May 29th, 2015, 6:40 pm
Senior Member
 
Scouter-50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Columbus, Texas, USA
Posts: 1,286
Re: Hauling two K1200LTs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT View Post
Okay, my thoughts.
Ummm... not trying to be a "pita" here but the ride isn't that bad. We've done the mid-west a few times, two up. Corn, sunflowers, corn, more corn; sort of depending on what latitude you take....sometimes the cross winds have really sucked, but hey, cross winds are going to suck pulling a trailer too, no?

You'd rather hunt around for a trailer, load bikes, pull the trailer loaded with bikes, than just throw a leg over the bike and head out there? I'd question that premise.

Just suggesting a reality check here. Since you asked, I say forget the trailer and plan on riding out there. Pick a few interesting stops along the way. Use the time and money you save by not renting and loading a trailer and: 1) get a massage in a luxury motel (there must be at least one in Kansas.), 2) by some brews in a local bar and taunt the locals about how BMWs are better than Harleys, 3) go tubing down some river with a six pack, 4) fill in your best option here

+1

Sounds like a good plan to me. Ride 'em if you got 'em,

Robert
Patric likes this.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)


2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Scouter-50 is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old May 29th, 2015, 8:44 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 181
Re: Hauling two K1200LTs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT View Post
Okay, my thoughts.
Ummm... not trying to be a "pita" here but the ride isn't that bad. We've done the mid-west a few times, two up. Corn, sunflowers, corn, more corn; sort of depending on what latitude you take....sometimes the cross winds have really sucked, but hey, cross winds are going to suck pulling a trailer too, no?

You'd rather hunt around for a trailer, load bikes, pull the trailer loaded with bikes, than just throw a leg over the bike and head out there? I'd question that premise.

Just suggesting a reality check here. Since you asked, I say forget the trailer and plan on riding out there. Pick a few interesting stops along the way. Use the time and money you save by not renting and loading a trailer and: 1) get a massage in a luxury motel (there must be at least one in Kansas.), 2) by some brews in a local bar and taunt the locals about how BMWs are better than Harleys, 3) go tubing down some river with a six pack, 4) fill in your best option here
Okay, here's my experience : if you are "touring" a section of the country, then the long trips are fine. You plan stops with things to see and do. It sounds like he wants to get to Colorado, and then enjoy the bikes there. I've done both; sometimes the weather is a factor, too. He's in Mass, and it looks like about 2000 miles to central Colorado. So if you do over 700 a day, that's a week roundtrip just going to and fro. A nice tow vehicle with 2 drivers; and then you're not tired when you get there. As far as a trailer : enclosed with chocks and good quality straps with ratchets - not the buckle type that just pull tight. My .02 worth. Ride safe and enjoy.
ValkyrieRider is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old May 30th, 2015, 10:06 am
Super Moderator
 
dfinazzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waconia, MN, USA
Posts: 1,364
Re: Hauling two K1200LTs...

I towed my LT an my brothers HD to Sturgis back in 2003 on a large homebuilt
trailer that was open. I would not take the risk of trailer with something small.
Rent one, borrow one, buy a used one and resell when your done using it.

As for the trailering we drove straight through, 1000 miles, and enjoyed the
western riding on the bikes - due to work, temperatures and taking supplies
along we felt the trip warranted trailering. Plus we were in a position to help
others who were less fortunate in the bike ride out and back. We also rode
tons of miles while out there and were more relaxed on the fast ride home
which was less fatiguing in a cage.

My two cents . . .

Dan Finazzo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
dfinazzo is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old May 30th, 2015, 5:37 pm
Senior Member
 
norton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Doylestown, Pa, usa
Posts: 787
Re: Hauling two K1200LTs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfinazzo View Post
I towed my LT an my brothers HD to Sturgis back in 2003 on a large homebuilt
trailer that was open. I would not take the risk of trailer with something small.
Rent one, borrow one, buy a used one and resell when your done using it.

As for the trailering we drove straight through, 1000 miles, and enjoyed the
western riding on the bikes - due to work, temperatures and taking supplies
along we felt the trip warranted trailering. Plus we were in a position to help
others who were less fortunate in the bike ride out and back. We also rode
tons of miles while out there and were more relaxed on the fast ride home
which was less fatiguing in a cage.

My two cents . . .


+1

There is a difference between traveling and touring to me. Traveling is when you want to get from point A to B the fastest way possible. Traveling involves interstates, miles of boring tiring interstates, 75% of roads we use to travel long distances go through congested cities, have expensive gas, hotels, food, scary truck traffic, construction slow-ups and shitty scenery. To me touring is enjoying the experience when you get there. Touring is twisty scenic roads, out of the way local cafes and shops, sites that take your breath away, no rush, no mileage goals, no stress. I do not understand how you long haul riders do it, how you can ride a motorcycle 600 to 700 miles in a day, that would be torture for me. But, I can do that in my pick-up. So for me I choose to TRAVEL with the pick-up and trailer through the nightmare of interstates, congested traffic and misc. shit you'll encounter, its safer, more comfortable and gives me the option to use the cage if the weather gets bad or I want to off road to some mountain lake for a day. Also when I get to my destination I'm anxious to ride because I haven't been beat to death by the traffic, wind, sun and rain getting there.

Bless all you guys who can do the iron butt type rides (maybe I'm a little jealous) but my candy ass is going to be in the pick-up until I reach my riding destination.

To each his own.

Scott
2007 LT
norton is offline  
post #11 of 15 Old May 30th, 2015, 7:57 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,173
Re: Hauling two K1200LTs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton View Post
+1

There is a difference between traveling and touring to me. Traveling is when you want to get from point A to B the fastest way possible. Traveling involves interstates, miles of boring tiring interstates, 75% of roads we use to travel long distances go through congested cities, have expensive gas, hotels, food, scary truck traffic, construction slow-ups and shitty scenery. To me touring is enjoying the experience when you get there. Touring is twisty scenic roads, out of the way local cafes and shops, sites that take your breath away, no rush, no mileage goals, no stress. I do not understand how you long haul riders do it, how you can ride a motorcycle 600 to 700 miles in a day, that would be torture for me. But, I can do that in my pick-up. So for me I choose to TRAVEL with the pick-up and trailer through the nightmare of interstates, congested traffic and misc. shit you'll encounter, its safer, more comfortable and gives me the option to use the cage if the weather gets bad or I want to off road to some mountain lake for a day. Also when I get to my destination I'm anxious to ride because I haven't been beat to death by the traffic, wind, sun and rain getting there.

Bless all you guys who can do the iron butt type rides (maybe I'm a little jealous) but my candy ass is going to be in the pick-up until I reach my riding destination.

To each his own.
Your last statement is the essence of it. Do what works for you.

I'm in the CharlieVT camp. My LT has only been on a trailer once and that was for a 1/4 trip back up my driveway when the fuel hose sprung a leak.

Two years ago, five related couples rented a house in Gatlinburg, TN for a week of touring on the TOTD and other roads in that area. They ride three Ventures, a Kawasaki and a Honda VTX as I recall. They were trailering the bikes down driving the 12 or so hours in one long day. One couple had to bow out at the last minute and my wife and I were invited to "join the family" for a week since we knew a few of the couples. They told me when they planned to load the trailers. I politely declined and asked them when they planned to arrive and we'd meet them there. We left a day early and had a great ride down through WV, stayed at a neat hotel in a WV park and had only a few boring hours on I-81 in VA.

I don't find even 600 mile days all that tiring on the LT. On a cruiser though, that would be different. I enjoy riding, even when making time on the interstates, but generally try to find adequate time to take a few alternate routes each day to get a break from the interstates. I just find that I see more while on the bike, even traversing Kansas, Missouri or Nebraska, than in a car and that makes it orthwhile for me.

Also, trailering a bike like the LT is fraught with peril and I'd rather take my chances on the road.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
post #12 of 15 Old May 30th, 2015, 10:16 pm
Enjoy The Ride
 
saddleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Huntersville, NC, USA
Posts: 3,897
Re: Hauling two K1200LTs...

I'm in the minority of most of the riders here. If it wasn't for Interstate highways I wouldn't own a motorcycle. I hate two lane roads unless I'm at my destination & am riding for enjoyment. I don't own any other vehicle other than a motorcycle and they are just transportation for me.

I rode to my local BMW Dealer today to pick up my new helmet & I have to ride 6 miles before I can get on a 4 lane hwy. a Toyota Prius Hybrid pulled out 1 mile from my home & was going 15 mph under the limit. I finally passed it 4 miles later in a left turn lane.

I would ride 1100 to 1200 mile days to get to my destination on any Interstate if that is what it takes to get there over riding in a 4 wheel vehicle. I find the Interstates very interesting when riding in the country & much safer.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
saddleman is offline  
post #13 of 15 Old May 31st, 2015, 7:16 am
Senior Member
 
norton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Doylestown, Pa, usa
Posts: 787
Re: Hauling two K1200LTs...

Voyager and Saddleman

I take my hat off to you both. As I said I am probably envious of long haul riding and wish I could do it. The longest that I have done in a day was 375 miles and both of us were beat. The wife and I talk about when she finally retires we pack up and head west to the pacific coast Hwy on the bike only. Taking our time no constraints just pick a destination and go and stay as long or as short a time as you want and move on. I definitely will need a good seat as the stock one does not cut it.
Sorry for the thread steal.

Scott
2007 LT
norton is offline  
post #14 of 15 Old May 31st, 2015, 7:31 am
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,173
Re: Hauling two K1200LTs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
I'm in the minority of most of the riders here. If it wasn't for Interstate highways I wouldn't own a motorcycle. I hate two lane roads unless I'm at my destination & am riding for enjoyment. I don't own any other vehicle other than a motorcycle and they are just transportation for me.

I rode to my local BMW Dealer today to pick up my new helmet & I have to ride 6 miles before I can get on a 4 lane hwy. a Toyota Prius Hybrid pulled out 1 mile from my home & was going 15 mph under the limit. I finally passed it 4 miles later in a left turn lane.

I would ride 1100 to 1200 mile days to get to my destination on any Interstate if that is what it takes to get there over riding in a 4 wheel vehicle. I find the Interstates very interesting when riding in the country & much safer.
Interstates are almost certainly safer, but I love two lane curvy country roads. And I really loved the 1.5 lane super curvy Alps roads! Probably a little more dangerous, but that is also part of the appeal to me of both motorcycling and flying.

This is also why I generally prefer riding alone. I like to ride my own ride. Group riding tends to crimp my style. A group is nice if you have trouble, but so far most of my trouble has been within 25 miles of home! Knock on wood. Both flats I've had were within 15 miles of home and my in-tank fuel hose sprung a leak in my driveway last summer the morning after returning from a 4,700 mile ride to Newfoundland! I made it home with less than 1/4 mile to spare.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
post #15 of 15 Old May 31st, 2015, 7:41 am
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 7,173
Re: Hauling two K1200LTs...

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton View Post
Voyager and Saddleman

I take my hat off to you both. As I said I am probably envious of long haul riding and wish I could do it. The longest that I have done in a day was 375 miles and both of us were beat. The wife and I talk about when she finally retires we pack up and head west to the pacific coast Hwy on the bike only. Taking our time no constraints just pick a destination and go and stay as long or as short a time as you want and move on. I definitely will need a good seat as the stock one does not cut it.
Sorry for the thread steal.
Much of it is practice. Although, I admit that the first day of the first tour my wife and I made was a close to 600 mile day. We rode from Lawrencevile, PA to Dayton, OH on our barely broke in 1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII. We were a little younger then.

I have never yet bought a custom seat. The Voyager was totally stock for the entire 46K miles I owned it. I added a bead rider to my LT, but stock seat. I found the biggest difference was switching to LDC riding underwear. That alone will add 200 miles to your day. And the bead rider adds another couple hundred. Stock seat with "tighty whities" was good for only 200 miles before comfort departed, particularly in 90+ temps.

And I see my states ridden map is out of date. Anyone know a map making utility that will remember your past states? I hate having to re-enter the past states each time I want yo add a new one...

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hauling vs. Trailering y4me K1200LT 12 Dec 2nd, 2012 5:04 pm
Final Drives K1200LT's (any good stories) welivers K1200LT 24 Jan 13th, 2012 5:07 pm
Hauling a trailer with R12RT ahaberkorn RT Series 1 Dec 8th, 2008 6:15 pm
Hauling the LT on an RV rodgtc K1200LT 7 Feb 9th, 2008 6:11 pm
How many K1200LTs have you had already? eljeffe Surveys and Polls 10 Nov 30th, 2005 10:06 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome