K1200 LT Starting Issues - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old May 28th, 2015, 7:03 am Thread Starter

Question K1200 LT Starting Issues

Good Morning, I recently purchased a 2002 K1200. The bike looked to be in good condition, 8400 miles, new tires and never laid down. The seller informed me it had been sitting a "few" months and needed a new battery. After replacing the battery the bike would turn over but never start. I tried starter fluid and the bike cranked but only ran long enough to burn the starter fluid. Obviously a fuel problem but I don't know if it is a fuel pump, fuel injectors clogged or another issue. I am not familiar with BMW products.

Any advice is welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old May 28th, 2015, 7:54 am

Re: K1200 LT Starting Issues

I would check the rubber hoses inside the fuel tank. With the age the hoses have probably determined. I just replaced mine as preventive maintenance.
post #3 of 5 Old May 28th, 2015, 8:04 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painterman View Post
I would check the rubber hoses inside the fuel tank. With the age the hoses have probably determined. I just replaced mine as preventive maintenance.
I second that. Mine failed last year after 7 years and 46K or so miles. And might as well replace the fuel filter while you have the pump assembly out of the tank. By a good service manual if you haven't already. You will need it often.

If you remove the gas cap, you may be able to see or hear the gas sloshing around when the key is turned on. Be careful as mine had a pinhole on the U-hose and nearly squirted out of the fill neck. If you see gas moving, that will confirm the problem.

Given the age, if it was my LT, I would do a full 24K service. That will allow you to get to know the bike and know that the basics are in order. I would also replace the brake lines with SS braided Spieglers and replace the plastic fuel line quick disconnects if so equipped.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old May 28th, 2015, 10:15 am
Lifetime Supporter

Hi, Did you give it gas when you were cranking it? Some times I have to give mine just a little or it will not start, but most of the time no. If I give it too much, it will not start. The fuel injestion is real fussy..

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 5 Old Sep 10th, 2015, 8:28 am

heres a story I posted on another page, I hope theres afew clues in there ........

Hey Guys I am an Aussie and I own a K1200lt 2000 model I keep in the States and visit often ...The problems all started when I suffered an illness and couldn't visit for a few years , 7 to be exact anyways as luck has it I have a very good friend living there and garaging my K1200lt ....it was started regularly until the battery flattened and crapped itself ...........so the bike wasn't started for 5 years but was in his shed and under cover ....so a few months ago I rang my friend told him I was planning a trip over and was going to Sturgis from Seattle where the bike lives ...1300plus mile trip .
So being a good guy and friend he installed a new battery for me .....he reset the whatever it is you reset ....you know hold the throttle wide open let it go hold ya tongue to the right side of ya mouth then start that mother ............well it didn't work out that way it sounded like the fuel pump arced up and the motor cranked over beautifully ...the engine fired once ,farted a little puff of smoke out the exhaust pipe and nothing else ..cranked it over and over nothing ..damn I gotta go the boss (wife ) is demanding I make an appearance will come back later with more of this story ...thanks for you patience
Fingers
OK back again but getting late down here so just a few more lines ......
So reset every thing again still nothing ...drain the fuel ...the old fuel smells like old paint , put in new fuel ...crank it over nothing ...not even a fart ..and the fuel pump is not making any noises OK so my mate in the States and I decide the only course of action is take the Tupperware off so we can get a look at the workings ....plugs ,filters , fuel pump , and the quick release fuel joiners that are dodgy at the best of times and should be replaced as a normal precaution .........so got the Tupperware off and firstly to check the spark we squirt a little Start ya Bastard down the air intake the engine gives a couple of farts indicating the ignition side of things is ok ....so must be fuel ....everything looks fine at this stage ....not knowing the horror that is about to manifest itself as we decide to remove the fuel tank .....gotta go again but will be back in the morning with some more ....Just asking has anyone had this sort of experierence on their K1200lts this bike has only done 38000miles .....

OK back again ..........the tank has to come out to check the pump .....finally get the tank outta the frame and my mate undid all the bolts around the bottom of the retaining plate of the fuel pump and gentlely worked it out of the tank ..... to the bench for further inspection .....hooks up 12v power supply ...no movement or noise ..check all connections and fliter the result is below ...
1 .....Pump is unserviceable
2......Filter is blocked and only flowing part capacity
3..... Rubber insulators holding the pump in are in poor condition and crumbling
4......The U shaped hose between the pump and the filter is badly perished
5......electrical connections to pump barely making contact and plastic crumbling
6......The horror part is that the electrical lines from the bottom of the pump assembly to the pump were cracked and bare wire exposed ...will see if I can download some photos ...
What could of happened if the wires shorted out ....big bang I,m guessing ...After generl discussion and much googling we assume that what has happened here is a combination of Ethanol and age ...mainly Ethanol we are thinking ..............More later

Back again .......now to source and order parts .....bought a new fuel pump from http://www.highflowfuel.com/i-211896...1999-2008.html $70.00 with a lifetime warranty ....I know ya gunna say but would you trust that .....
Filters including air filter from the same place at a fraction of BMW parts ......My mate reckons BMW stands for Bring My Wallet .......the U shaped rubber hose from the pump to the filter from BMW like $70.00 .........bought a later model second hand pump assembly as mine was f**ked for around $200.00....... new plugs Bosch plugs. Part # is: R6 183 and new steel quick release fuel fitting from Highflow around $70.00.........a total cost of parts about $500.00 US greenbacks ....
Installed new plugs .....Fitted new fuel pump using new insulators to second hand pump assembly , fitted new fuel filter and new u shaped rubber hose to pump , fitted new airfilter , fitted new steel quick release fuel connectors .......all put back together except for tupper ware .....now the test ...
Reset the ignition map by the recommended method ....then pressed the starter motor .......No hesitation it came to life ....much happiness , many smiles ,dancing and celebrations ...Sturgis is getting closer .....this process took close on 4 weeks to complete with diagnostics , googling , youtubing and reading your fine forum...
so off to Sturgis 2015 the 75th Year Celerbrations not a miss not a murmur ..all good better than 45 mpg at 70mph did close to 3500 miles in the month including over The Beartooth Highway , 68 miles of switchbacks and a climb of 11000 feet what a ride ..........
Just to round this up If you have a K1200lt that's a few years old please check the fuel system especially the electrical wiring and replace those plastic quick release fittings as one of mine broke on being undone ...check and replace the U shaped fuel line on the pump and the pump insulators especially if you have been using Ethanol ......my thanks to my Beemer man mate Griff for all the work he did to repair and prepare the K1200 lt for the great journey ....Now Giff has never worked on anything other than his own Harleys so with his perserverence and the help of youtube he did this amazing job ....thanks Brother ....

Tags
fuel issues, injectors, k1200lt, starting issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in