• 1 Post By Voyager
  • 1 Post By Jim_McG
  • 1 Post By jzeiler
  • 2 Post By cws
  • 1 Post By jzeiler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old May 28th, 2015, 12:01 am Thread Starter

Brake Bleed Test question

If I was adept at searching the forum I may not have to ask this question but alas I am not.
I just had a local shop change the brake fluid on my 2005 LT.
I had a quoted price for the job but the invoice included an additional amount to carry out a Brake Bleed Test.
Brake fluid was also charged as an extra.
I would have thought that changing the fluid would include all bleeding required. Can someone tell me just why it is necessary to perform this BRAKE BLEED TEST with BMW diagnostics?
I intend doing my own fluid change in future and I know from the forum that many owners do the same and I am sure that everyone does not have a diagnostic tool so is this really necessary?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old May 28th, 2015, 8:35 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Brake Bleed Test question

That's why we call them Bring More Wallet. You would think the quote would include everything.

Plenty of people do their own fluid flushes and bleeding. As long as the brakes are functioning properly the test isn't a have to. There are quite a few members here that do have the GS911 tool and do the test themselves. If there is a member that has one close to you they would probably be willing to help out if you want the test. You would be surprised at the number of times the brakes feel fine yet the bike fails the test.

It's really just for those of us that are a little anal and want that extra peace of miind.
Newport likes this.
post #3 of 14 Old May 28th, 2015, 8:35 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newport View Post
Can someone tell me just why it is necessary to perform this BRAKE BLEED TEST with BMW diagnostics?
I intend doing my own fluid change in future and I know from the forum that many owners do the same and I am sure that everyone does not have a diagnostic tool so is this really necessary?
Comes down to covering their own arse if something happens they can say it was tested ok here. Is it necessary probably not but they got more money out of you didn't they? that's what it is about the almighty dollar. but you probably should have made them stick to the quote, unless you authorised the extra work
just my 2c
Newport likes this.

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT

post #4 of 14 Old May 28th, 2015, 9:13 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
If I was adept at searching the forum I may not have to ask this question but alas I am not.
I had a quoted price for the job but the invoice included an additional amount to carry out a Brake Bleed Test.
Brake fluid was also charged as an extra.
I would have thought that changing the fluid would include all bleeding required. Can someone tell me just why it is necessary to perform this BRAKE BLEED TEST with BMW diagnostics?
A quote for a service should include all parts and labor. I don't know what the quote said though. You got it in writing, right?

The bleed test is confirmation that no air is in the system. It takes all of 5 min including connecting the tester. I hope they didn't charge you too much.

I would definitely be talking with the service manager if they didn't include brake fluid in a quote for a fluid change. And if they performed unauthorized service I would complain about that. And if they say the bleed test is required, then I would say "then it must have been included in the price quote so take it off my bill."
Newport likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 Old May 28th, 2015, 9:48 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
A quote for a service should include all parts and labor. I don't know what the quote said though. You got it in writing, right?

The bleed test is confirmation that no air is in the system. It takes all of 5 min including connecting the tester. I hope they didn't charge you too much.

I would definitely be talking with the service manager if they didn't include brake fluid in a quote for a fluid change. And if they performed unauthorized service I would complain about that. And if they say the bleed test is required, then I would say "then it must have been included in the price quote so take it off my bill."
Thanks for your reply and also to AXLE & BUFF8STUFF. I will be talking more with this company and athough I have had good service in the past I do feel a little miffed about this deal. I even removed the Tupperware and delivered the bike in a van ready to work on so this was a better than average deal for them.
I do most of my own service work and after this I will do it all. I have diagnostic equipment for my Triumph and Range Rover and might look at getting what I need for the LT. Thanks again.
post #6 of 14 Old May 28th, 2015, 10:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle View Post
. . that's what it is about the almighty dollar. . . .
Good to know the Australian dollar is almighty too!

I do my own brake bleeds / flushes and do not have access to a GS-911. They feel fine and no ABS faults. I would be curious to confirm with a bleed test, but won't ride the 100 miles to the closest BMW shop only to pay their charges.
Newport likes this.

Jim
2003 BMW K1200LT (my favorite 2 wheeled land yacht)
2008 Yamaha FJR1300 (recent addition)
1982 Yamaha Vision (long gone)
post #7 of 14 Old May 28th, 2015, 11:10 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_McG View Post
Good to know the Australian dollar is almighty too!

I do my own brake bleeds / flushes and do not have access to a GS-911. They feel fine and no ABS faults. I would be curious to confirm with a bleed test, but won't ride the 100 miles to the closest BMW shop only to pay their charges.
I check mine simply because I have the GS911 and can. It also tests the aging brakes lines. :-)

However, a fluid flush done right should not introduce air and the bleed test is icing on the cake at best. Now, if you open the system to replace a brake line... That is another thing entirely.
Newport likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 Old May 28th, 2015, 11:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
I check mine simply because I have the GS911 and can. It also tests the aging brakes lines. :-)

However, a fluid flush done right should not introduce air and the bleed test is icing on the cake at best. Now, if you open the system to replace a brake line... That is another thing entirely.
Right - I had to do a thorough full bleed after changing to Speigler brake lines last winter. A normal flush I wouldn't worry about it.

And, thanks for making me feel inadequate not having a GS911 - I've been trying to talk myself into getting one but that is the subject for another thread.
Newport likes this.

Jim
2003 BMW K1200LT (my favorite 2 wheeled land yacht)
2008 Yamaha FJR1300 (recent addition)
1982 Yamaha Vision (long gone)
post #9 of 14 Old May 28th, 2015, 8:04 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

It is not a bad idea after a flush but I did at least 6 flushes before we had the ability to do the test with the GS-911. Never had an issue or a fault. Now I did do a Speigler line change for a guy on an 05 and it failed the bleed test on the front side. I re-bled it and got one tiny bubble out and it passed after that so it is very sensitive. My advise is you really don't need it for a flush done right but it is good insurance that it was done right.
Newport likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #10 of 14 Old May 28th, 2015, 9:32 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I replaced my lines a couple of months back, bleeding the heck out of them several times, but never performed the GS-911 test. I've put well over a couple thousand miles on the bike and they work fine, so I must have done them right...

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #11 of 14 Old May 28th, 2015, 10:01 pm
cws

Garage

Quote:

Hi Ray.
I bought the GS911 tool through Motohansa who are the licensed dealer in Oz, there's no "cheap" way to buy a real one unless you can find a 2nd hand one somewhere... beware Ebay clones... (see the warning about counterfeit models on the Hexcode site).
I've got 2 bikes to use it on and am doing all my own servicing now. You only need the enthusiast version as the LT's and other pre-06 (?) models don't record VIN numbers.
Pricey, but then I've found it handy for several diagnostic tests (including bleed test after a Spiegler line change on the LT) and soon recovered the cost from not going to the dealer for service.
Hilton and Newport like this.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #12 of 14 Old Jun 1st, 2015, 8:16 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws View Post
Hi Ray.
I bought the GS911 tool through Motohansa who are the licensed dealer in Oz, there's no "cheap" way to buy a real one unless you can find a 2nd hand one somewhere... beware Ebay clones... (see the warning about counterfeit models on the Hexcode site).
I've got 2 bikes to use it on and am doing all my own servicing now. You only need the enthusiast version as the LT's and other pre-06 (?) models don't record VIN numbers.
Pricey, but then I've found it handy for several diagnostic tests (including bleed test after a Spiegler line change on the LT) and soon recovered the cost from not going to the dealer for service.
Thanks CWS: I have been in touch with Motohansa and when fun money allows it I will take this further. I understand that they come licensed for 11 bikes. Do you share yours or just use it for your own bike(s)?
Finding the right people to share the cost would be great but that is not always easy.
Having modern bikes and cars of different makes almost requires a selection of diagnostic equipment suit each one.
It does seem that if ever I sold the bike that the GS911 would be readily sold on.
post #13 of 14 Old Jun 1st, 2015, 7:26 pm
cws

Garage

Hi Ray.
As far as "sharing" I don't lend it round.... actually no-one has asked so I haven't had to say no
But when a few of the guys came over to my place for a tech session it was there for them to use on their bikes, which a couple did.
The "license" is only valid for bikes that actually get their VIN stored in the memory of the software.
The LT's & pre 06 GT/RS's don't pass their VIN's to the software, so you could use it on a hundred bikes of those models and it doesn't know the difference.
It was designed for the twins (GS/RT's etc) initially and does store their VINs AFAIK.... haven't used it on one of them.
Have a good read about the software on the hexcode site.... it shows how many different BMW bikes it can be used on.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #14 of 14 Old Jun 1st, 2015, 9:09 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Actually the VIN slots are only used if you use the 911 to reset the service minders. You can diagnose all day long on as many bikes as you choose.
cws likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in