Extended Warranty...is it available to me? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Aug 16th, 2006, 11:03 pm Thread Starter

Extended Warranty...is it available to me?

Greetings and salutations eveyone!!

So, I have been killing time over the past few nights reading through many of the threads...and scratching my head at the same time.

It seems that if I should decide (not that I am thinking of selling it) to keep my 02 LT for any length of time, it would appear as if I could POSSIBLY face some major mechanical repairs....rear drive, maybe a windshield, ABS, trunk latch, etc.

The question I have is this...my 02 has 7100 miles on it, I BELIEVE it is out of warranty, so can I buy an extended one since mine has expired? IF so, can someone direct me? Is it worth the grand, or so? Will it most likely cover those items (and more)?

I have an 05 Dodge Ram which I bought an extended warranty on...the truck has 17k miles on it and I have already had to come out of pocket for brake work...seems Dodge has copied BMW with the statement "that is a replacement piece...just like oil, pads, etc".

Gods knows I don't need another vehicle with a useless extended warranty.

Your thoughts?
Thanks
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 12:24 am

I just inquired about that today for my 99LT. Bobs BMW in Jessup MD advised me that I could obtain a extended warranty for approximately $1200. For an additional $50 it would cover the gaskets and seal for 3 years unlimited mileage. This was going to be my next post to ask the members what they thought.
post #3 of 6 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 12:35 am
IBR# 366

Garage
7,100 miles on an '02? Do you think you ride it enough to worry about such things? I'm not being funny, but most of these issues are coming up on higher mileage bikes, and some of the issues you mentioned wouldn't be covered anyway.

Extended warranties are a gamble, like insurance. You hope you don't need it, but if you do, you're sure glad to have it. And adding one to a bike that's out of factory warranty can get mighty expensive.

I sorta figure this site is my extended warranty.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 6 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 1:16 am

Last summer when my factory warranty ran out, I had the same thoughts you're having. But with 4 times the mileage, if not more. I figured that I would have to have two major failures before the warranty proved itself to be a good investment. So, I passed. A year later, I'm selling the LT and riding a new GT. Glad I didn't spend the money on that warranty.
post #5 of 6 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 9:14 am

I bought mine 02 with 7800 miles, and I opted to buy the warranty. When I had the 12K service done they noticed an oil leak that required about $800 worth of labor to fix, I now have 24K miles and just ride the heck out of her, and don't worry if something breaks. But if you are like Joe says and you aren't going to ride that much, it may not matter that much. I don't think that you can get 1200 more out of it when you sell it.

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

Don't Panic!
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!
post #6 of 6 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 9:20 pm Thread Starter

I agree...7300 miles on an 02 is not much....but I just got it in May with 5000 clicks on it...so I have managed 2300 in 4 months....and planning more.

I do agree with Joe's idea...this site is a great extended warranty.

Thanks for the imput....guess I will just ride it!

Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in