COMPLETE Fork Slider Rebuild Info - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old May 26th, 2015, 12:29 am Thread Starter

COMPLETE Fork Slider Rebuild Info

Bought a 2000 KLT with Hannigan 2+2 back in October - and the slow speed wobble finally got to me. So time to pull apart the front end and look for the source(s).

Hmmm. That steering damper appears to be useless. Time for a rebuild. So who put this thing together with goofy star bolts made out of German cheese, then decided to glue it together with holt-melt glue to add a little strength? So I had to remove wheel, calipers, and both halves of the fender to even access the upside-down bolt holding on the steering damper. After heating it thoroughly to melt the original hot-melt Locktite, I still managed to strip out the cheese head, even using an impact driver. A drill bit took care of the problematic roundy-roundy bolt head, and a new set of seals for the damper and some fresh oil seem to have solved that issue (thanks to those that pulled that information together). And a new ALLEN HEAD 12.9 bolt to replace the cheese.

There was a spacer below the fork brace, to make steering on the rig easier. One of the 12.9 bolts holding it on (aftermarket, in this case) had sheared off slightly below the shock slider boss. Nothing that a 12" drill bit and easy out (in conjunction with judiciously applied heat) couldn't remove.

Since I was this far, it only made sense to rejuvenate the rest of the fork slider parts (especially given the mother-lode of sparkly gold I got when cleaning all the accumulated muck out of the bottom of the fork slider (pic).

I pulled off the fork wiper, fork seal retention ring, fork seal and support washer. Looked at the upper bushing, but didn't see any wear to justify the gold flecks. The BMW parts fiche shows NOTHING below that top bushing. A Google search found NOTHING about anything below that top bushing. My eyes could see that there were white plastic spacers below that upper bush - and I assumed a lower bush as well. But the bike is 15 years old, and there is NOTHING out there on a lower bushing. My local BMW shop, and a BMW expert also claimed NOTHING below that bushing. But that just didn't make sense - new-fangled Telelever suspension or not. So I dug deeper (removed upper bushing and 4 plastic spacer tubes). And even took a picture (hard to do looking into a tube using a mirror). But here's a picture for those non-believers (pic). Will take some orientation to see what's there...

So the next question is, how to remove it? Ran to the hardware store and bought a 3 foot section of 1/4" steel rod, and filed the end flat (it was sort of a "mushed" profile, like it was cut with bolt cutters). Removed the drain bolt / o-ring from the bottom of the slider. Sprayed the inside of the slider with WD-40 and let it soak for 30 minutes. Flipped the slider and angled the rod up against the bottom of the lower bushing... tapped with a hammer, alternating sides so it wouldn't get cocked. It actually slid out pretty easily. In comparing the upper and lower bushing, the lower one had worn through the gray teflon coating and into the "gold" bronze underneath. The bottom one was 0.065" in the worn places, vs 0.077" for the unworn top bush. So definitely the source of my "gold". The better news is that BOTH BUSHES HAD THE SAME PART NUMBER STAMPED INTO THEM. (pics) So just order the same BMW part number for both the top and bottom bushing.

Here's an exploded picture of all the fork parts... (pic)

Re-installation... I have an old 27mm socket that I had had turned down for a Airhead swingarm pivot nut - and it looks like with a stack of 3/8" socket extensions (and proper lubrication) it should slide easily into place. A 28-30mm socket (depending on wall thickness) may work as well - YMMV.

I also found the nut on the front shock upper stud backed off (jam ut to follow). So at least three potential sources of front end funkiness so far. Hope that solves it.

Sorry for this first lengthy post - but wanted to publish this where someone else may be able to gain from my experience. Don't hold your breath, but maybe BMW will even admit to those parts actually being there eventually...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fork Drainings.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	261.4 KB
ID:	81282   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lower Fork Bushing.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	424.1 KB
ID:	81290   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fork Bushings - Front.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	81298   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fork Bushings - Rear.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	81306   Click image for larger version

Name:	Exploded Fork Picture.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	81314  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old May 26th, 2015, 1:26 am
cws

Garage
Re: COMPLETE Fork Slider Rebuild Info

good info for future reference, thanks Marty!

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #3 of 7 Old May 26th, 2015, 8:42 am

Good to know, I replaced top bush when I did mine but did not see lower bush

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single

post #4 of 7 Old Jun 13th, 2015, 7:41 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I am glad you posted this as I have already changed a seal once (2012) and noticed no wear on the upper bush (never looked at the lower one). Now I have a massive leak on one of the fork tubes (can't remember if it is the same one). I plan to do the full Monte on both sides as soon as the parts get here.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #5 of 7 Old Jun 14th, 2015, 3:23 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Well I got it apart and removed the two bushings from the leaking slider. Unlike martyg's the teflon coating was in tact and only damaged by my removal (guess my rod slipped).

I'll replace them and a new seal and dust caps and see how it does. This was the one I had replaced the seal only in around 2011-12. The other one is not leaking and I think I will leave well enough alone.

If the bushes had been worn badly I think I would fully rebuild the other one as well.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #6 of 7 Old Jun 20th, 2015, 6:06 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Final note. This was not the side I had previously replaced the seal on. The new bushes compared to the old ones with no measurable differences (other than the damage during removal). Mine had the complete teflon coating and it was "polished" compared to the new bush but the caliper could not find a difference in thickness so I decided to leave the other slider alone. (91 K on the odometer)

All Balls also had a combo kit of seals and dust caps for the LT for about $38 delivered and it was every bit as good as the factory stuff at quite a savings.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #7 of 7 Old Jun 20th, 2015, 8:20 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
Final note.
All Balls also had a combo kit of seals and dust caps for the LT for about $38 delivered and it was every bit as good as the factory stuff at quite a savings.
This is good info too, I have used All Balls stuff before and liked it, good stuff. Nice to know there is an option other than BMW and there high prices.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

1997 R1100RT
2000 K1200LT Sold

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in