K1200LT Drive Shaft / Final Drive Leak - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By jzeiler
  • 1 Post By bmwcoolk1200

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old May 23rd, 2015, 2:31 pm Thread Starter

K1200LT Drive Shaft / Final Drive Leak

Looks like I've got a drive shaft or final drive issue on my 2002 K1200LT. This is my first LT so I'm still trying to learn all I can about these great bikes. I bought the bike last month with 20,013 miles on it. I have put an additional 1,800 on it since then. The previous owner was the original owner and very detailed in keeping records and receipts. According to his maintenance records he changed the final drive lube at the following mile intervals and noted no issues at any time. 3,544, 7,000, 9,000, 18,640, 20,225, 20,836. Last week I noticed some oil seeping at the top, just rear of the rubber boot where the drive shaft connects to the final drive. There is also some on the bottom, but not as much on the top. I've read some of the other threads about this issue, but just want to get some more opinions based on the attached pictures. (Hopefully I get them attached O.K.)

Thanks for all of your expert opinions and recommendations.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Drive shaft leak - top 1.JPG
Views:	657
Size:	1.73 MB
ID:	80978   Click image for larger version

Name:	Drive shaft leak - top 2.JPG
Views:	1055
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	80986   Click image for larger version

Name:	Drive shaft leak - bottom.JPG
Views:	493
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	80994  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old May 23rd, 2015, 2:41 pm

Re: K1200LT Drive Shaft / Final Drive Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredtman View Post
Looks like I've got a drive shaft or final drive issue on my 2002 K1200LT. This is my first LT so I'm still trying to learn all I can about these great bikes. I bought the bike last month with 20,013 miles on it. I have put an additional 1,800 on it since then. The previous owner was the original owner and very detailed in keeping records and receipts. According to his maintenance records he changed the final drive lube at the following mile intervals and noted no issues at any time. 3,544, 7,000, 9,000, 18,640, 20,225, 20,836. Last week I noticed some oil seeping at the top, just rear of the rubber boot where the drive shaft connects to the final drive. There is also some on the bottom, but not as much on the top. I've read some of the other threads about this issue, but just want to get some more opinions based on the attached pictures. (Hopefully I get them attached O.K.)

Thanks for all of your expert opinions and recommendations.
Undo the clamp and pull the boot forward. There should be no fluid inside. If there is you need to determine if it is the final drive pinion seal leaking or the transmission output shaft seal leaking. The best way I know to diagnose this is to use different colored fluids in the final drive and transmission. Are you sure it is gear lube (it has a distinctive smell)? It is possible that it is brake fluid from the rubber line above.

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old May 23rd, 2015, 6:47 pm

Garage

cant tell anything from the pictures as Robert said, the only way to tell is get in there and have a look, if it is the out put shaft you will find oil up inside the swing arm on the bottom if it is clear then it most likely be the final drive, either way your final drive has to come out to repair hopefully it is the pinion seal the easiest to fix I took mine to the dealer as you need a special socket to get the seal out.

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT

post #4 of 15 Old Aug 15th, 2015, 4:47 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter-50 View Post
Undo the clamp and pull the boot forward. There should be no fluid inside. If there is you need to determine if it is the final drive pinion seal leaking or the transmission output shaft seal leaking. The best way I know to diagnose this is to use different colored fluids in the final drive and transmission. Are you sure it is gear lube (it has a distinctive smell)? It is possible that it is brake fluid from the rubber line above.

Robert
Robert - long story as to why it took me so long, but I finally was able to do as you suggested. I loosened the boot at both ends, cleaned it up good inside and out a reattached. Then I drained the final drive oil and checked the transmission oil to see if they were the same color. They were, so I refilled the final drive with some slightly red oil. I rode about 300 miles over the last couple weeks and could see oil starting to seep around the boot again. So, today I losend the boot again and got about two thimble sized amount of oil out of it. It was not red so I assume that means it is not coming from the final drive. There didn't seem to be much, if any, up in the bottom of the swing arm as Axel suggested in his original reply. I rode the bike early this morning so it had sat about 5 hours before I pulled the boot loose. Could the oil be coming for anywhere other than the output shaft seal? I think with a little research I can replace the seal, but I want to make sure that's what it is before I tear into this job. Thanks for any moe input you may have
post #5 of 15 Old Aug 15th, 2015, 4:50 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter-50 View Post

Robert

Robert - long story as to why it took me so long, but I finally was able to do as you suggested. I loosened the boot at both ends, cleaned it up good inside and out a reattached. Then I drained the final drive oil and checked the transmission oil to see if they were the same color. They were, so I refilled the final drive with some slightly red oil. I rode about 300 miles over the last couple weeks and could see oil starting to seep around the boot again. So, today I losend the boot again and got about two thimble sized amount of oil out of it. It was not red so I assume that means it is not coming from the final drive. There didn't seem to be much, if any, up in the bottom of the swing arm as Axel suggested in his original reply. I rode the bike early this morning so it had sat about 5 hours before I pulled the boot loose. Could the oil be coming for anywhere other than the output shaft seal? I think with a little research I can replace the seal, but I want to make sure that's what it is before I tear into this job. Thanks for any moe input you may have
post #6 of 15 Old Aug 15th, 2015, 5:05 pm Thread Starter

After just reading another post on output shaft seals, I just checked the area on the front of my drive shaft. Lying on my back, with a good flashlight, I couldn't see it all but it looks pretty messy up there ( area between the front and rear foot pegs on the right side) What part of the boot I could see, looked like a lot of oil on it. Does that confirm that it must be my output shaft seal or could it still be something else. I've got almost 24K miles on the bike.
post #7 of 15 Old Aug 15th, 2015, 7:20 pm

Quote:

I have no experience changing the output shaft seal. I did make a drawing of the seal driver. People with more experience will chime in.

Robert
Attached Files
File Type: pdf K1200LT Transmission Rear Output Shaft Seal Tool.pdf (16.1 KB, 136 views)

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #8 of 15 Old Aug 15th, 2015, 11:09 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

It is not a hard job but it does involve removing the swing arm. The rear output shaft seals are a pain to get right as they have to driven to the proper depth. That tool would be worth having made at a local machine shop. The BMW seal is a 25 x 40 x 6 mm and I have had better luck with a 25 x 40 x 7 mm from my local Napa guy (he had to order it).
Patric likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #9 of 15 Old Aug 16th, 2015, 6:49 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
It is not a hard job but it does involve removing the swing arm. The rear output shaft seals are a pain to get right as they have to driven to the proper depth. That tool would be worth having made at a local machine shop. The BMW seal is a 25 x 40 x 6 mm and I have had better luck with a 25 x 40 x 7 mm from my local Napa guy (he had to order it).
John - Do you know where I can find a step by step procedure for getting to the output seal? I haven't found anything on this forum and I have a Clymer Manual and can't find any details in there. I've found info on how to remove and replace the seal, but no specifics on how to get to it to do so. Also, how do I know for sure that it is the output shaft seal before I try to dig into that job? As I said in previous posts, I'm getting oil from around the rear and the front boots and it is not the same color as the final drive oil so I assume it is the transmission oil from the output shaft.
The procedures I've read for replacing the seal all say to set it to the same depth as the old seal. If I use the larger 7 mm NAPA seal that you suggest won't that effect the depth when setting the new one? Do you have a part number for the NAPA seal or what do I tell my local NAPA guy to order?
post #10 of 15 Old Aug 16th, 2015, 7:28 pm

Garage

maybe you don't use these but I find the maintenance videos a fantastic help when working on the bike just throw them on the laptop and do it step by step, thanks Kirk

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #11 of 15 Old Aug 16th, 2015, 8:06 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
John - Do you know where I can find a step by step procedure for getting to the output seal? I haven't found anything on this forum and I have a Clymer Manual and can't find any details in there. I've found info on how to remove and replace the seal, but no specifics on how to get to it to do so. Also, how do I know for sure that it is the output shaft seal before I try to dig into that job? As I said in previous posts, I'm getting oil from around the rear and the front boots and it is not the same color as the final drive oil so I assume it is the transmission oil from the output shaft.
The procedures I've read for replacing the seal all say to set it to the same depth as the old seal. If I use the larger 7 mm NAPA seal that you suggest won't that effect the depth when setting the new one? Do you have a part number for the NAPA seal or what do I tell my local NAPA guy to order?
Look at the sticky post "drilling the weep hole" third one down from the top. Very early video we did that shows everything you will need to remove the swing arm. One mm will not affect the seal. I even checked it on a transmission I had apart. PN I got was Timken 100117248.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #12 of 15 Old Aug 16th, 2015, 10:13 pm Thread Starter

John & Linton - thanks for the advise. I think I have those videos from the previous owner. Ill take a look. I also found a section in my Clymer manual for removing the swing arm and it looks like that procedure covers all I'll need to do to get to the output seal.

What about the 30mm torque adapter ( BMW part no. 33 6 641) that the Clymer says I'll need? Does anybody know where I can get one of those for less than the $132 I saw on one web site?
post #13 of 15 Old Aug 17th, 2015, 4:28 am
Enjoy The Ride

I have the 30mm cut out socket & the 12mm long handle hex wrench for $52 with shipping in the USA.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #14 of 15 Old Aug 17th, 2015, 7:04 am

Buy the socket and wrench from Saddleman. The tools are superb and work well.

Robert

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #15 of 15 Old Aug 17th, 2015, 2:20 pm

I recently did my FD crown bearing so I went to the auto parts store and bought a 30mm socket, used a cutting wheel and grinder wheel on my angle grinder to cut the side of the socket out. Only place I found a 12MM Allen wrench locally was in a large kit from Northern Tool and that was $30. They are about $10 from Amazon. My socket isn't pretty but it did the job. I probably spent almost as much making my own and buying the big Allen kit than what you can get it from Saddleman for and his will look good in your tool box.
Patric likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in