Different radio problem - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Aug 15th, 2006, 10:29 pm Thread Starter

Different radio problem

Just discovered that the left hand speakers on my radio/CD player does not work. This is the bike I just bought. I checked the balance, and if I go to 10 Left, there is absolute silence. Both front and rear speakers does not work. Any quick solutions? Also, I got 2 alarm remotes, and only 1 of them work. The remote blinks, but not the bike, so it is not a dead battery. Are they easy to program?

Current rides:
2003 BMW 1200 LT (bought in 2006)

Past rides:
97 Kawasaki ZX11(bought new in 1997, sadly sold in September 2014)
89 Honda Hurricane (sold)
88 Honda Hurricane (traded on an SUV)
86 Kawasaki 1000R (stolen but recovered)
84 Honda 750F (traded on 1000R)
81 Suzuki GSX1100 (sold)
78 Suzuki GS750 (traded on GSX1100)
74 Yamaha RD50 (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Aug 16th, 2006, 9:09 pm Thread Starter

Nobody has a guess?

Current rides:
2003 BMW 1200 LT (bought in 2006)

Past rides:
97 Kawasaki ZX11(bought new in 1997, sadly sold in September 2014)
89 Honda Hurricane (sold)
88 Honda Hurricane (traded on an SUV)
86 Kawasaki 1000R (stolen but recovered)
84 Honda 750F (traded on 1000R)
81 Suzuki GSX1100 (sold)
78 Suzuki GS750 (traded on GSX1100)
74 Yamaha RD50 (sold)
post #3 of 11 Old Aug 16th, 2006, 10:11 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
The radio could be a wiring issue. Check for loose connections under the left side of the stingray (opposite the fuel filler) and at the back of the radio itself. The first requires removing the left side tupperware, and the second both sides and the entire radio stingray. Other than that, sometime the radio's internal amplifier goes bad.

As for the alarm remote, there is a programming wire under the seat and a procedure for authorizing a new remote. You need both remotes to do this. The procedure is in our Technical section (link at the top right of every page). I don't remember exactly where it is stored though.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

post #4 of 11 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 8:15 am

I had a simlar problem (I believe) with my stereo system. I was getting distorted sound at higher volumes since I bought the bike (new). When I took it in for my first servce, I asked them to look into it and they found that my right side speakers were toast - they replaced them under warranty.

In addition to the help files here, if you have the owners manual for the security system, the procedure should be in there for re-sync-ing a remote (I recall there being something about if a remote's button is pressed more than 250 times while out of range from the bike, it will not work util the re-sync is done).

AJ
2013 K1600GTL (not yet named)

post #5 of 11 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 8:56 am

IMO, the easiest place to start...

The easiest way to rule out whether it's a blown speaker or a 1/2 blown amp is to connect the left rear speaker to the right rear speaker lead. If you hear sound, then the speaker is OK and the left side of the amp is blown, or you have a short.
  • Lift the rider's seat
  • Remove the passenger's seat (2 Allen screws)
  • Disconnect the barrel connector that goes to the tour trunk. (There's two of them. You want the one that runs left to right, parallel to the front of the trunk. To ensure you have the correct connector, turn on the radio. You should now have no sound out of the right speaker.)
  • Using the color chart below, find the correct pins and use two little jumper wires to connect the speakers leads coming FROM the amp, and connect them to the leads that are going TO the left speaker. (SO you want Blue/Red to Yellow/Blue , and Blue/Grey to Yellow.
  • Turn on the radio.
  • If you hear sound, your left speaker is good and the trouble is in the amp or wiring coming to that point. Most likely the amp.
  • No sound = blown speaker. And most likely the front one is blown too.
You can experiment with the balance control to ensure your jumping the leads correctly. I hope all of this makes sense. Good luck.

Yellow/Blue: Left +
Yellow: Left
-
Blue/Red - Right
+
Blue/Grey - Right
-
post #6 of 11 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 10:48 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
[*]Using the color chart below, find the correct pins and use two little jumper wires to connect the speakers leads coming FROM the amp, and connect them to the leads that are going TO the left speaker.
Joe, you're a farkling genius. My left channel is also out, but I've been dreading pulling the tupperware, etc. to get to the radio in my 100 degree garage.

BTW my '02 radio was replaced under warranty in '04 just as the warranty was expiring. I just found out that the replacement part is covered by a 2 year warranty independent of the bike's original coverage.

Motor On ,/'

post #7 of 11 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 11:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkersh1
Joe, you're a farkling genius.
Nope. I just know a little about audio troubleshooting.

Thanks for the kind words just the same.
post #8 of 11 Old Sep 12th, 2006, 8:01 pm

Garage
After checking all of my wires, I'm sure its the internal amp that I fried on my radio. I've got a line on a replacement unit from a scrapyard but want to make sure I'm getting the right unit. The radio unit itself is the CD player unit on my 02 LT right? It's not the panel with the buttons on the dash. Right?

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #9 of 11 Old Sep 12th, 2006, 11:42 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Yes, the main radio (amp, etc.) is in the same case as the single CD player (or cassette player for earlier bikes). The buttons are just a remote control panel.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 11 Old Sep 13th, 2006, 9:05 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Yes, the main radio (amp, etc.) is in the same case as the single CD player (or cassette player for earlier bikes). The buttons are just a remote control panel.
Sweet! Thanks Ken

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #11 of 11 Old Sep 15th, 2006, 11:03 am

Different radio problem

I recently had a similar problem... and have only partially fixed it. Both of my front speakers went out at the same time on my 03 LT. Seemed likely not to be simultaneous speaker problems, and other threads pointed to bad connections under the left tupperware. I found the connector for the front speakers and everything looked good to me. Cleaned the connectors really good but no change. Put it all back together because I'm still under warranty. I let the dealer troubleshoot it and they said it was a bad radio/amp. They had one in stock, replaced it and said everything was good. When I got on the bike to take her home, I thought I should do my own final inspection. Right front was fine, but when I moved the balance to the left... nothing!!! Since I can live with it for a while, they agreed to provide warranty work on the next visit and the tupperware comes off. I have no idea what's going on. Maybe another bad amp, maybe they bent a pin putting the connector back together??? I hate doing tupperware worse than living w/o a left front because I use a separate MP3 most of the time anyway. Still puzzled???

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in