Air Craft Oil - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Oct 18th, 2005, 6:05 pm Thread Starter

Air Craft Oil

While picking up oil for work at an oil distrubutor noticed he had cases stacked to the ceiling of 15W50 Aero Shell. Asked the sales person, he indicated it did not have an API rating and his opinion was that it would be unsuitable for use in a motorcycle engine. Tried to get him to commit to a reason but you know how sales people can be.
I don't plan to run it in my LT but now if I had a R, I would be very tempted to do so. Air cooled aircraft....air cooled motorcycle engines.....
I did get him to commit to a very good price on synthetic Shell Rotella T.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Oct 18th, 2005, 7:04 pm

Maybe it will work in wings?
Bob
post #3 of 10 Old Oct 18th, 2005, 7:41 pm
CWF

I wouldn't use in my bikes air cooled or otherwise because most piston engine aircraft produce their max horsepower (as well as a large percent (maybe 75%) of cruise power) at a relatively low RPMs (<3000). From what I've read about Motorcycle oils they need certain additives (like Zn & Mo) to provide anti-wear properties at high RPMs where the oil film gets too thin to protect metal to metal wear.

So I may be wrong but why take a chance?

Curtis
2006 K1200GT

post #4 of 10 Old Oct 18th, 2005, 8:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWF
I wouldn't use in my bikes air cooled or otherwise because most piston engine aircraft produce their max horsepower (as well as a large percent (maybe 75%) of cruise power) at a relatively low RPMs (<3000). From what I've read about Motorcycle oils they need certain additives (like Zn & Mo) to provide anti-wear properties at high RPMs where the oil film gets too thin to protect metal to metal wear.

So I may be wrong but why take a chance?
Hi Curtis:

I get it, it's Harly oil!

Pocketta Pocketta Karl

Disreputable Rode Hard & Put Up Wet Old Deadbeat Geezer
"We're all here because we're not all there"
--Ken & Gene Hunt
'09 Aprilia Scarabeo 500ie -- QuickSilver II
'02 LTE Silver -- Retired
'02 LTC Mauve -- RIP
2009 Subaru WRX, Stage 1 269 whp, 293 ftlb - INTERCEPTOR
2003 Ford Focus, 220 hp @ wheels 180 ftlb torque @ wheels - Traded
Northern Colorado
post #5 of 10 Old Oct 18th, 2005, 8:41 pm

Exclamation

Don't use any Aircraft oil in your LT! Actually, not even in a big aircooled V-Twin, which would seem to be a perfect match. They are not.

Aircraft engines are built a lot "looser", and burn considerable oil in normal operation. As much as we kid the Harley riders about their "old technology" engines, they are built quite tight. The aircraft oils are made with various levels of "Ashless-dispersant" capability, with much lower detergent levels than automotive oils. Aircraft engines run typically below 3000 RPM, and for long periods of constant 65-75% power output, and on takeoff quite a few minutes of 100% power, which means they have few "cooling" periods between high power runs. They are constantly burning oil, so have a lot less additives to reduce head/valve buildups.

Yes, go with the Rotella-T.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #6 of 10 Old Oct 18th, 2005, 11:05 pm

Another important reason not to use Aeroshell is cost. Aeroshell 15-50 has a typical retail price about 4 times higher than similar automotive oils. If they give you the Aeroshell for free, come swap with me, and I'll give you the Rotella!

Don Ferrario
2004 K1200LT
2002 ST1100A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 Old Oct 19th, 2005, 1:38 am
Prodigal Son

Piston (air-cooled) aircraft oil not only has a different wear additive package, but also contains somtimes little or no detergent/surfactant groups.
(large aside==
An interesting factor early on in the Mobil Av-1 tragedy involved the "cleaning effect" due to the automotive-like additive package of the original Mobil Av-1. This resulted in "softening & freeing for sudden ,massive and rapid re-introduction into circulation of sludge and other deposits causing many failures in up to that point "sound -running"
engines by plugging passages and galleys.
Mobil (to late to save the reputation of synthetics for most pilots) changed the additives. Actually by making the change they helped open the door for successful lawsuits by defacto admitting their 1st package of additives was an error.)

ed early
Life is a Blind Curve , Just Ride It, Low and Inside
'00' Canyon Red
post #8 of 10 Old Oct 19th, 2005, 5:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunny
While picking up oil for work at an oil distributor noticed he had cases stacked to the ceiling of 15W50 Aero Shell. Asked the sales person, he indicated it did not have an API rating and his opinion was that it would be unsuitable for use in a motorcycle engine. Tried to get him to commit to a reason but you know how sales people can be.
When I went through A&P school back in the late 80's we were warned to never use aircraft oils in our automotive engines. The reason was that the automotive industry changes quickly with new innovations while the aircraft industry is very slow to change. It was explained that for an oil supplier to change the chemistry of an aircraft oil, it had to be tested and proven to be compatable with each and every type of aircraft engine that it was intended to be used in. That is a huge investment, and simply was not being done. We were warned that aircraft oils had basically remained unchanged since the 1940's. We were warned that aircraft engines still had cams that were extremely surface hardened to withstand the friction of the cam followers, while with the innovation in automotive oils had allowed for much softer cams. We were told that if we used aircraft oil in our vehicles it would "wipe out" the cam in short order.

Mike Kiesel

Medina, Ohio
2000 K1200LT (Katerina)
"She's big and graceful - most of the time"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 Old Oct 19th, 2005, 7:30 pm Thread Starter

Thanks.

This forum truely is a fountain of knowledge. A good place to also air ideas and see if they pass the BS test.
post #10 of 10 Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 12:46 am

Cool Dont Use It

Aircraft oil although is great for Aircraft Piston Engines it is not for Auto's because of the loose tolerances in Air Cooled Engines.

Automobile oil is much more sophisticated than Aircraft with Long Chain Molecules Etc Etc.

Was the Oil Ashless Disperment? LOL

Good Luck

Stevea2980

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in