First impressions of new 1200 LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Aug 13th, 2006, 9:36 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up First impressions of new 1200 LT

I picked up my new ride in Raleigh today. The bike is in great condition, and I am real happy with the purchase. I'm glad I found this site, because it prepared me for some of the idiosyncrasies on the LT. The bike is BIG and intimidating, compared to my ZX11 (or any other bike I ever rode), and it stops rather abruptly. It's almost too tall for me, and I can see why keeping upright can be a little bit of a challenge. Definitely not a beginners bike. The ride is nice, I LOVE the cruize and the power windshield. Not quite as much power as my ZX11, but it goes to 100 quite nicely. My wife was hauling butt in the Jetta TDI, going about 85 on my speedo most of the way. I did about 230 miles, and the seat was quite comfortable, once I figured out how to turn the heated seat OFF! When I picked it up, it was 3/4 full and had 95 miles on the trip meter. I filled up in SC at 225 miles, and put 4.7 gallons in it, so it looks like about 48mpg as far as consumption goes. Not bad for a big bike. Temp was about 88 most of the way home, and I sinned and did not wear my leather jacket. I liked the fact that I could adjust the windshield and leave my visor open, it was a lot cooler that way.

Question - is there a 12V outlet on this bike? Where is it?

Current rides:
2003 BMW 1200 LT (bought in 2006)

Past rides:
97 Kawasaki ZX11(bought new in 1997, sadly sold in September 2014)
89 Honda Hurricane (sold)
88 Honda Hurricane (traded on an SUV)
86 Kawasaki 1000R (stolen but recovered)
84 Honda 750F (traded on 1000R)
81 Suzuki GSX1100 (sold)
78 Suzuki GS750 (traded on GSX1100)
74 Yamaha RD50 (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Aug 13th, 2006, 9:47 pm

To turn off the heated stock heated seat there should be a three (3) position rocker switch on the right side of the seat towards the rear (while seated on bike). Place the switch in the center position for off. The switch for the passenger's seat is directly behind the driver's switch. The 12 volt plug is on the left side of the bike towards the inside of the chrome piece for the tip over wing.

Have fun with the new ride!

Rusty Snyder
post #3 of 14 Old Aug 13th, 2006, 10:38 pm

Thumbs up

Now your yard looks kinda like this, huh?

post #4 of 14 Old Aug 14th, 2006, 8:41 am

Congrats - I picked mine up this weekend too!!!!! So we didn't buy the SAME bike as some feared in the other thread. I agree with you on most of your points.

Rando
post #5 of 14 Old Aug 14th, 2006, 2:16 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Congratulations!

Now, you have the bike you don't live that far away come on down to the CCR there are a few slots available.

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't Panic!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!
post #6 of 14 Old Aug 14th, 2006, 2:28 pm

12v outlets

Congratulations on the K1200LT. I've had mine for five years and made five cross country trips. Great bike. I've seen 12 volt outlets in five places on the bike. They are not standard and require the BMW special 12v plug.

1st location is right of the left mirror.
2nd location is just above the gear shift
3rd location is left of the right mirror near the head light aiming adjustment knob.
4th and 5th location is on the left or right side of the trunk near the volume control for the radio or on the opposite side.

Billie
00 K1200 LTC Basalt
03 650 CS
post #7 of 14 Old Aug 20th, 2006, 8:44 am Thread Starter

Took the wife out yesterday, she really liked it. Almost hit a dog chasing a buzzard across the road, the brakes work well! I'm getting the hang of the bike now, and low speed maneuvers and braking not as bad as I originally thought. I took my ZX11 out alone in the afternoon, and it has way more vibration than the LT. Wife wants me to sell it, I want to keep it. Looking at Blue Book values I am not giving it away for $3500, this bike looks like new.

What I don't like so far:

1) Gearbox is clunky, and sometimes hang up between 2nd and 3rd.
2) The infamous throttle, way too stiff.
3) Very underpowered, but maybe I have been riding sportbikes for too long.

What I like:

1) Windshield!
2) Gas consumption, I put in 3.3 gallons after driving 170 miles.
3) Cruize control is fantastic, especially with the stiff throttle.
4) Ride is very smooth, takes rough roads well.

Current rides:

Past rides:
81 Suzuki GSX1100 (sold)
74 Yamaha RD50 (sold)
post #8 of 14 Old Aug 20th, 2006, 8:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagar
I took my ZX11 out alone in the afternoon, and it has way more vibration than the LT.
That's odd. Although they were close, my '11' was smoother than my LT.

Quote:
Wife wants me to sell it, I want to keep it. Looking at Blue Book values I am not giving it away for $3500, this bike looks like new.
My wife me to sell too. I got $5K for it. Don't believe blue book if it's a real nice piece.
post #9 of 14 Old Aug 20th, 2006, 9:38 am
was

Quote:
What I don't like so far:

1) Gearbox is clunky, and sometimes hang up between 2nd and 3rd.
3) Very underpowered, but maybe I have been riding sportbikes for too long.
Congrats on the new ride. Some thoughts about the dislikes:

1) The chunk of gear changes won't really change, but I found synthetic gear oil to help a little. I also found that when I positioned my boot under the shift lever as close as possible to the bike, I did not hang up between gears. If the boot only catches the tip of the gear lever I hang between gears more often.
2) Lots of threads about installing the new throttle cables, which are routed differently than the old ones, to improve stiff throttle. Some people also have had success by lubing the cables, but others (and BMW) warn against doing so because cable lube oil may cause the inner plastic sleeve to swell and degenerate.
3) When I started riding the LT I tended to keep it below 4500 RPM. I had to learn to keep the bike revved higher to hit the power band.

Good luck with the bike!

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #10 of 14 Old Aug 20th, 2006, 9:43 am
Lifetime Supporter

If you are "hanging" between shifts, sounds like some maintenance is in order.

I'd clean and lube the shift mechanism... it will make it better.

Enjoy!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #11 of 14 Old Aug 20th, 2006, 10:28 am

Congrats! As I mentioned in an earlier post stating your concerns you read about on the site, many issues aren't as bad as they seem and disappear after spending some time with the bike. I remember the day I picked my 03 up it felt as though there was a dwarf standing on the passenger seat, trying to make me fall. That soon went away,(maybe he fell off).
As others have said, don't hesitate to let the RPM's flow. I found that the notchiness of the gearbox is minimized and power pretty good with higher RPM shifts. Do yourself a favor and do the throttle conversion. I just did mine and wonderful difference. I would try fight off the immediate urge to farkelize and get that done, best $130 dollars spent.
What have you done to your ZX-11, anything to make more sport touring friendly? Pro's/Cons, comfortable mileage per day,etc. I just put out a post asking for feedback on "sportier" sport touring rides, specifically Honda XX, Busa,ZX,etc. and received some good feedback. I am hoping to be in the market soon pending sale of Honda GB.
post #12 of 14 Old Aug 20th, 2006, 11:35 am Thread Starter

I think I pumped my wheels too hard, they were at 50PSI.

Current rides:

Past rides:
81 Suzuki GSX1100 (sold)
74 Yamaha RD50 (sold)

Last edited by hagar; Aug 20th, 2006 at 11:51 am.
post #13 of 14 Old Aug 20th, 2006, 12:30 pm

Quote:
The best $10 you'll spend -- a "ThrottleRocker," a slip-on palm rest.

There's not much you can do about the throttle stiffness. I experimented with disconnecting one of the several heavy springs on the throttle rail, but I couldn't absolutely guarantee the throttle would go back to close -- apparently with the current set-up really does require all that spring force

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #14 of 14 Old Aug 20th, 2006, 5:15 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanforn
What have you done to your ZX-11, anything to make more sport touring friendly? Pro's/Cons, comfortable mileage per day,etc. I just put out a post asking for feedback on "sportier" sport touring rides, specifically Honda XX, Busa,ZX,etc. and received some good feedback. I am hoping to be in the market soon pending sale of Honda GB.
The only addition I made to the ZX11 was to add a temporary backrest/pack that I can put on or remove in about 5 minutes. The ZX11 is a great touring bike for a single guy, or who has a woman with an iron butt (unfortunately that does not describe my wife). It actually has a very comfortable riding seat, you sit in the bike, and the forward lean angle is not severe. We did several long single day or overnight rides in Arizona, Phoenix to Bisbee, Phoenix to Kit peak, Phoenix to Flagstaff, and Phoenix to Gerome, and it never bothered me. The wife would make me stop every 100 miles or so. The ZX11 has a huge gas tank, furthest I ever got was 336 miles before it went on reserve. You can easily cruise at 110 if you are bold enough for that, and 80 is comfortable. The Honda Blackbird is probably a more refined bike, and if you are into ugly chicks, the Suzuku Busa will probably strike your fancy...

In my mind the ZX11 is one of the icons of the motorcycle world. Never had a day of trouble with my bike. I have never owned a bike as long as the ZX11, and have never been tempted to replace it with anything else but an LT, and if I can, I will keep it as a second bike just for myself.

Current rides:

Past rides:
81 Suzuki GSX1100 (sold)
74 Yamaha RD50 (sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in