Nasty LT Mirror - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Oct 18th, 2005, 7:15 am Thread Starter

Question Nasty LT Mirror

What nice trick have you found in case of bump against a car mirror to let your mirror jump from its place without falling on the ground and break in pieces?
I had a few years ago a Honda Pan European and the mirror was loose tightened with a kind of plastic strap. In case of bump, the mirror was not falling but kept hanging to the strap.
Have you tried to install anything similar?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Oct 18th, 2005, 7:48 am

Garage
Chris:

Go here http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=39112 and get these tethers. I have them and they have already paid for themselves 10 times over when I hit a big bump and the mirrors flew off. They were left dangling by the tethers instead of hitting the ground. Very much worth buying and easy to install.

Joe
05 Ocean Blue LT "Mein Byk"
14 Rolls Royce Ghost
16 GLE 63 S
99 CLK 320 Cabriolet
post #3 of 14 Old Oct 18th, 2005, 8:47 am

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by neodoc
Chris:

Go here http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=39112 and get these tethers. I have them and they have already paid for themselves 10 times over when I hit a big bump and the mirrors flew off. They were left dangling by the tethers instead of hitting the ground. Very much worth buying and easy to install.
AMEN! I'll second those tethers wether bought or handmade. They've paid for themselves several times over for me too.

Ride safe,
Steve S.

Follow your front wheel...
Steve S.

1998 Harley Davidson FLHR-P
1998 BMW R1100RT-P (Black Mariah)
2002 BMW K1200LTE (Bayou Buffalo)

If it rolls, floats, flies or shoots, runs on gasoline or gunpowder, is loud, goes fast, or shoots a big bullet, thus producing Torque or Recoil....It's Cool.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 14 Old Oct 18th, 2005, 9:50 am

Tie wraps work fine, for pennies too.

My dealer installed mine before I picked it up.

Brian Smith

2005 K1200LT
Canton, GA
post #5 of 14 Old Oct 18th, 2005, 10:33 am

Ty-wraps cut too easily. I had my first ones tethered with them, clipped a mirror lane splitting, and the mirror went flying. When I got home, half of the Ty-Wrap was still in the bracket, looked like it had been cut with a razor blade on the sharp edge of the hole in the bracket.

I switched to 135 pound test stainless steel nylon coated fishing leader, threaded through the mirror housing then crimped into a 1/4" ring tongue electrical lug, put that under the 6MM button head screw in the middle of the area where the mirror fits. That way it is easy to remove and replace the mirror completely by removing that screw, without cutting the tether.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #6 of 14 Old Oct 18th, 2005, 2:53 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Um Dave, I don't think they have Wally-World in Paris. At least not yet, anyway. Maybe at Carrefour?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 14 Old Oct 18th, 2005, 3:27 pm

Nasty LT Mirrors

Go here and check out these mirrors. I have them and my mirrors don't drop on the ground. The electrical wires keep them from falling. AND, the mirrors are a great safety feature. Let's the person to either side see your intentions when cornering. Let's them see something beside the tail lights.
http://www.customdynamics.com/Signal_mirror.htm

Triker

Longmont, CO
2005 LT Hannigan Trike
post #8 of 14 Old Oct 19th, 2005, 9:14 am Thread Starter

Wink Nasty LT mirror

Thanks to all of you for having shared your precious (mirror is rather expensive!) experience with me.

Just read the following for fun and tell me what you think about it:

Each time I tell the people that I ride motorcycles, you can bet the first reaction is " oh, motorcycle, that is so dangerous!"
My answer is always the same : "the most dangerous thing is life, there are 100% dead in the end!"

Ride slow, ride fast but ride safe!
post #9 of 14 Old Oct 19th, 2005, 12:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker
Go here and check out these mirrors. I have them and my mirrors don't drop on the ground. The electrical wires keep them from falling. AND, the mirrors are a great safety feature. Let's the person to either side see your intentions when cornering. Let's them see something beside the tail lights.
http://www.customdynamics.com/Signal_mirror.htm
Was looking at those for a while, you just tipped the scales in their favor. True that the wire will act as a retention cable. Ordered my set!
post #10 of 14 Old Oct 19th, 2005, 12:42 pm

[QUOTE=chris1951]"the most dangerous thing is life, there are 100% dead in the end!"QUOTE]

or mine "Why is it no one want's to die, but everyone want's to go to heaven?"
post #11 of 14 Old Oct 19th, 2005, 5:26 pm

Don't trust the electrical connections

Quote:
Originally Posted by edonthenet
Was looking at those for a while, you just tipped the scales in their favor. True that the wire will act as a retention cable. Ordered my set!
I have the same units on my LT. Forgot to to attach the tethers to the bike after pulling the tupperware on a maintenance. Walked around the bike bumped the mirror and it went all the way to the floor. The electrical connection did not hold the mirror. Thankfully I didn't bust the glass. I always double check that my stainless steel fishing line tethers are attached now.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

Last edited by Steve_R; Oct 19th, 2005 at 5:49 pm.
post #12 of 14 Old Oct 19th, 2005, 8:00 pm

My mirrors used to often pop off on a hard bump. I replaced the balls that the mirror snaps onto (at the suggestion of Chicago BMW) and re-bent the clips in the mirror base. I use wire tethers, but have not had a mirror pop off since the mods. Actually, not quite true -- I popped the left mirror when I ran into the ranger gate at Rocky Mt. NP; but that was my own fault.

Paul Browne
Reston, VA

'06 BMW R1200RT
post #13 of 14 Old Oct 21st, 2005, 1:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTsaddledance
AMEN! I'll second those tethers wether bought or handmade. They've paid for themselves several times over for me too.

Ride safe,
Steve S.

Ditto. Have the Signal Mirrors with tethers, and the plastic casing holding the mirror to the frame broke-- and the tetheres kept the mirror in tact. Worth the small time and investment of installing.
post #14 of 14 Old Oct 21st, 2005, 6:18 am

Well, unless struck with some very heavy force, I would find it hard to understand why the electrical connector would pull off
Regardless, a set of Eagle Claw 30 lb test fishing leaders purchased at Walmart for $1.66 a 10 pack in addition to the signal mirrors could be added for some insurance. I just find it hard to fathom anyone paying almost $20 for some wire that cannot cost over $1 in it's worst scenario to manufacture.
Ed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in