Exhaust rattle? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Aug 8th, 2006, 11:14 am Thread Starter

Exhaust rattle?

Greetings,

I need some assistance yet again. It seems that I have finally solved my clutch problems. Thanks to Dave I have found out that the combination of riding at low RPM's and an exhaust rattle will give the appearances of a clutch problem.

I solved the riding at low RPM issue, but now for the hard part. How do I find that rattle? It looks like the tupperware would need to come off, right? Is there a common place that the exhaust system loosens?

For what its worth the rattle is coming from the engine area and not the rear it seems but I will try anything.

As always your help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Aug 8th, 2006, 11:31 am

Exhaust Rattle

mowoc,

Happy to hear it wasn't a clutch afterall. I am new around these parts, but this is one that I have experienced. With mine the heat shield was slightly loose and the induced vibration from the motor was causing it to vibrate. You can lay down on the floor and reach in and feel if the shield is loose.

As for a fix, I put a Remus exhaust system on mine. I am sure that any one of the seasoned veterans will offer a fix to you soon, as they are fabulous here for that.

Good luck.

John

BMWMOA #126325
2003 K1200LT- The Brown Buffalo
2000 VLX - The wife's
1999 Concours - Plum Crazy
1998 KX 250 + 4 others

Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is mystery,
Today is a gift from God......
That's why they call it "the present".
post #3 of 4 Old Aug 8th, 2006, 12:41 pm Thread Starter

Thanks. Where is the heat shield? Is that on the rear of the bike, or by the heads?

post #4 of 4 Old Aug 8th, 2006, 2:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowoc
Greetings,

I need some assistance yet again. It seems that I have finally solved my clutch problems. Thanks to Dave I have found out that the combination of riding at low RPM's and an exhaust rattle will give the appearances of a clutch problem.

I solved the riding at low RPM issue, but now for the hard part. How do I find that rattle? It looks like the tupperware would need to come off, right? Is there a common place that the exhaust system loosens?

For what its worth the rattle is coming from the engine area and not the rear it seems but I will try anything.

As always your help is appreciated.
When I had an exhaust rattle at low RPM, and coming from the engine area, it was broken header pipes inside the flanges that hold the system into the head. my front two were broken.

You can check this buy loosening all the header nuts to allow the exhaust to drop down just a little to take pressure off of the flanges (may have to remove the hanger above the centerstand bracket) then try to turn them. If one or more turn at all, you have to remove the exhaust and have them welded.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in