Couple of Newbiee Questions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Oct 17th, 2005, 4:38 pm Thread Starter

Post Couple of Newbiee Questions

1 - Either I am looking on the wrong place(left side saddle bag) but my 02 came with no tool kit. So I need to purchase a good one. The interesting thing is that it does not even have any of the parts that hold the tool kit in place. Anyway I am not worried about that as I can figure out a way to attach it or keep it somewhere else on the bike the important thing is getting a good one.

Any ideas and or suggestions on where to get a kit?.

2- On my 02 when you lift the seat you can see straight down the ground, with the battery on the left side but you can see through, is that normal or am I missing something under there? Like some kind of seat pan or something like that.

Thanks everyone

Darcy Bastos
2007 FJR1300
2007 Ducati GT1000 Sport Classic
Atlanta, GA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Oct 17th, 2005, 4:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDB
1 - Any ideas and or suggestions on where to get a kit?.

2- On my 02 when you lift the seat you can see straight down the ground, with the battery on the left side but you can see through, is that normal or am I missing something under there? Like some kind of seat pan or something like that.

Thanks everyone
You might consider just making up your own kit. A search for tool kit discussions in the forums might get you some good ideas. Also, the Iron Butt Association website has a link on it somewhere that can give you a great took kit list.

As far as a under-the-seat pan, no, the LT doesn't come with one. There is a vendor that sells them though if you feel like you have to have one.

Ride safe,
Steve S.
post #3 of 6 Old Oct 17th, 2005, 5:34 pm

1) if the person who took it out (those cheap bastards...) remove the support for the tool kit you will not be able to see any thing there.
The support is glue to the back (or to the right if you are looking it from the side) of the left saddlebag.
The dealer has the kit for the 2005 models (those cheap BMW bastards... they don't ship with it any more) and I would get there.

2) Probably you are missing the skid plate.
Some bikes have it, some doesn't. It's a plate who goes under the engine/oil carter to protect it from bumps.
other than that, if your bike is not crumped with extra wires and cables like mine, you should be able to see the pavement from there.

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old Oct 18th, 2005, 7:16 pm

Darcy,

When we get together later this week we can go over the contents of the tool kit (you can get most of those items at a local dealer or order them from Bob's BMW in Maryland). We can also tell if you are missing anything under the seat by pulling up my seat.

See ya

Marc
2012 White R1200 GS
2006 Gray BMW R1200GS (retired)
2003 Black BMW K1200LT (retired)
post #5 of 6 Old Oct 18th, 2005, 7:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLDB
1 - Either I am looking on the wrong place(left side saddle bag) but my 02 came with no tool kit. So I need to purchase a good one.
Thanks everyone

I can let you know what all is in the factory tool kit, however i have changed mine around somewhat

I'd be glad to make a list of what i have added to mine if you like, LMK

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #6 of 6 Old Oct 18th, 2005, 7:44 pm

Better than stock

One very cool tool kit was designed by FLASH.
He got the tools he wanted, then bought a piece of foam cut it very carefully to fit perfectly inside the side case and then took it out and again, very carefully traced the image of each tool. He then placed it in the bottom of his side case. Every time he needs it, it is easy to see and grab what he needs.
I'm sure that Flash (Dick) will be happy to fill in what I missed.
HTH

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in