Speakers and Radio - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Mar 30th, 2015, 2:47 pm Thread Starter

Speakers and Radio

I am looking into changing out the speakers and radio in my 2003 K1200LT.

Anyone with experience have specific recommendations for speakers that will fit the front and the rear? I am not looking for audiophile quality... More so durable and affordable.

I am actually going to hire a BMW experienced mechanic if his price is reasonable. he has done it in the past and was able to keep the handle bar buttons working for the new radio.

I plan on replacing the factory radio. Does it need to be a Marine grade radio? I do not drive in severe weather... and the door/lid that covers the current radio seems water tight. I have never seen any moisture in it. I keep a remote in the area and it has always remained dry.

I'll be removing the CB, the intercom and the 6-disk player.

Any pearls of wisdom?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Apr 2nd, 2015, 12:49 pm

Re: Speakers and Radio

You have posted this in the wrong section. We are K1200GT guys
post #3 of 23 Old Apr 2nd, 2015, 1:14 pm

Garage

No help with your question but I am curious about the CB. Is it a stand alone unit or does it interface through other parts of the system. My 14 RT has the factory radio pack but no CB (at least I havent found one) and I have thought about adding one if it is not too obtrusive. Steve

post #4 of 23 Old Apr 2nd, 2015, 8:36 pm Thread Starter

The bike is at my Mech. I'll take Picks when I get it back. If I splurge and get it removed... I'll send you picks..
post #5 of 23 Old Apr 2nd, 2015, 8:39 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raesewell View Post

As far as I know.... and I double checked, I am posting on the K1200LT forum. Let me know if I am wrong.
post #6 of 23 Old Apr 2nd, 2015, 8:42 pm Thread Starter

Cut and Paste from Screen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	77442  
post #7 of 23 Old Apr 2nd, 2015, 8:52 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raesewell View Post
Doesn't say much for the GT guys if you can't even tell what forum you are in. The OP is in the LT forum and so are you.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 23 Old Apr 2nd, 2015, 8:53 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryDZ View Post
As far as I know.... and I double checked, I am posting on the K1200LT forum. Let me know if I am wrong.
You did post it in the K1200GT forum but I moved it to the LT forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Doesn't say much for the GT guys if you can't even tell what forum you are in. The OP is in the LT forum and so are you.
You can see it was moved.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-04-02 at 8.54.22 PM.png
Views:	51
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	77458  

Stevie Shreeve
post #9 of 23 Old Apr 2nd, 2015, 9:25 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn View Post
You did post it in the K1200GT forum but I moved it to the LT forum.

You can see it was moved.
Not real obvious to me that it was moved when viewing from the LT forum. I assume must be one of the itty bitty icons indicates a move?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	77482  

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 23 Old Apr 3rd, 2015, 6:44 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Not real obvious to me that it was moved when viewing from the LT forum. I assume must be one of the itty bitty icons indicates a move?
You can not tell by looking at the LT page but as shown in the pic I posted from the GT paige it was moved.

Know back to the OP's question.........

Stevie Shreeve
post #11 of 23 Old Apr 3rd, 2015, 7:56 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn View Post
You can not tell by looking at the LT page but as shown in the pic I posted from the GT paige it was moved.

Know back to the OP's question.........
Got it. I thought your comment earlier suggested that I should have known it was a moved thread. I only read the LT forum and saw no indication of a move in. I was curious if there was some subtle indicator I had yet to come across.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #12 of 23 Old Apr 3rd, 2015, 2:38 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for moving it to the correct forum.
post #13 of 23 Old Apr 3rd, 2015, 6:34 pm

You might check out these Polk Audio marine speakers. db351 - Polk Audio
They're 3 1/2 inch and might work for you. I have Polks on my boat and am very happy with them. Good weatherproof quality and great sound.

2002 Toscana Green K1200LTE
1998 Triumph Trophy 1200
1982 Yamaha Special II 650 (sold)
1968 Triumph Trophy 500 (sold)
1968 Puch 125 (passed along)
post #14 of 23 Old Apr 4th, 2015, 6:39 am

Suggest you not waste your time trying to get decent sound out of the on-bike system. Spend your money on a good helmet intercom system instead. You can get a two pack of Sena SMH10 head sets from Amazon for under $300. With these you have blue tooth to talk on your phone, talk to your passenger, listen to your GPS, and a jack to plug-in your iPod or other MP3 music. My wife and I can talk to each other easily and clearly and we can each listen to our own music when we aren't talking. Controls are very simple to use with gloves and the sound is much clearer than trying to manage the on-bike stereo at speed. If you just have to have FM there are models that have that too.

Cheers!

Steve Green
US Army (Ret)
2002 KLT
Titan Silver

I don't like making plans for the day....because then the word "premeditated" gets thrown around in the courtroom.
post #15 of 23 Old Apr 4th, 2015, 11:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlt2002 View Post
Suggest you not waste your time trying to get decent sound out of the on-bike system. Spend your money on a good helmet intercom system instead. You can get a two pack of Sena SMH10 head sets from Amazon for under $300. With these you have blue tooth to talk on your phone, talk to your passenger, listen to your GPS, and a jack to plug-in your iPod or other MP3 music. My wife and I can talk to each other easily and clearly and we can each listen to our own music when we aren't talking. Controls are very simple to use with gloves and the sound is much clearer than trying to manage the on-bike stereo at speed. If you just have to have FM there are models that have that too.

Cheers!
That's what I did too. Now no one but my passenger and I know what we're listening to.

Current Bikes

2013 Triumph Trophy SE
2013 Suzuki Burgman 650, Ya it's a scooter but it will do over 100 MPH
2005 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R1150RT
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado
post #16 of 23 Old Apr 4th, 2015, 8:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by azccj View Post
That's what I did too. Now no one but my passenger and I know what we're listening to.
Right up until you get caught at a traffic light singing along with music only you can hear!

Steve Green
US Army (Ret)
2002 KLT
Titan Silver

I don't like making plans for the day....because then the word "premeditated" gets thrown around in the courtroom.
post #17 of 23 Old Apr 4th, 2015, 9:25 pm

I am a SMH-10 user as well. We are really happy with them.
post #18 of 23 Old Apr 5th, 2015, 8:50 am

Garage

I replaced my speakers many years ago. Been very happy with them. Also have a Sena headset and really wish I could find a way to get the onboard radio to connect to it via bluetooth so I could use the radio controls but get music in the helmet.

The Polk speakers I went with are very good sounding and have held up excellent. You can see my write-up HERE

I might be able to dig up the pictures but after all this time, I can't say for sure.

1973 Yamaha 250 Enduro (crash and burn)
1982 Yamaha Virago 920 (sold)
Honda CB750 Custom (sold...good riddins!)
2003 K1200LT - Black (for sale)
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue Metallic

post #19 of 23 Old Apr 5th, 2015, 9:43 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdepas View Post
I replaced my speakers many years ago. Been very happy with them. Also have a Sena headset and really wish I could find a way to get the onboard radio to connect to it via bluetooth so I could use the radio controls but get music in the helmet.

The Polk speakers I went with are very good sounding and have held up excellent. You can see my write-up HERE

I might be able to dig up the pictures but after all this time, I can't say for sure.
Sena makes what your looking for: Sena SM10-01 SM10 Dual Stream Bluetooth Stereo Transmitter and
SENA 3.5mm Stereo Jack to 6 Pin DIN Cable for SM10 Dual Stream Stereo Transmitter SC-A0124

Look them up on amazon.
post #20 of 23 Old Apr 5th, 2015, 10:43 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff8stuff View Post
Sena makes what your looking for: Sena SM10-01 SM10 Dual Stream Bluetooth Stereo Transmitter and
SENA 3.5mm Stereo Jack to 6 Pin DIN Cable for SM10 Dual Stream Stereo Transmitter SC-A0124

Look them up on amazon.
How would that connect into the factory radio? I don't have a factory intercom which it looks like the SC-A0124 would connect to.

1973 Yamaha 250 Enduro (crash and burn)
1982 Yamaha Virago 920 (sold)
Honda CB750 Custom (sold...good riddins!)
2003 K1200LT - Black (for sale)
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue Metallic

Last edited by rdepas; Apr 5th, 2015 at 10:49 am.
post #21 of 23 Old Apr 5th, 2015, 11:02 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdepas View Post
How would that connect into the factory radio? I don't have a factory intercom which it looks like the SC-A0124 would connect to.
Correct, sorry I wasn't thinking about not all bikes having the com system.

However if your unit has an aux port you can connect to it. If you don't have an aux port they can be added.
post #22 of 23 Old Apr 12th, 2015, 3:35 am

Quote:
My comments were from before it was moved, I'm not completely senile just yet
post #23 of 23 Old Apr 17th, 2015, 4:01 pm

Audiophile is a meaningless term, just like quality, except every thing has quality.
Trying to make a mc sound system come close to a home system that someone has spent multiple thousands of dollars on, and spent thousands again on the listening environment to cancel unwanted reflections, and to deal with room gain cannot be done.

The LT, s speaker wires are a main obstacle for getting "good" from the amplifier to the speakers.
Replacing the front speaker wires with double runs of 16 or 14 gage wire(use mil surplus Teflon insulated, stranded copper wire, silver coated) and u will get a better representation of the signal sent.

Since this is essentially auto sound, u may not like the sound u hear. In fact you probably get very little of the benefit of stereo? Convert a few of ur favorite songs to mono and play them while riding ur LT. Might even sound better!

I use ear plugs when I ride. The problem becomes getting enough dbs to my ears to overcome the road noise, signal to noise ratio.

my sena blue tooth has enough micro volts to drive speakers in the 100db range loud enough for me to hear at even 90mph.

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson

Tags
radio, speaker

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in