40 Miles into a 3 week trip, rear end failure - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Oct 17th, 2005, 4:26 pm Thread Starter

40 Miles into a 3 week trip, rear end failure

There was so much talk about failing final drives on this board, I stopped reading them,
figured if it happens it happens.
We have been making preperations for this trip for a while,
good itinerary, Texas hill country, Ozarks, Natches Trace, Blue ridge parkway and Iron Horse.
At least 3 weeks maybe more if the weather holds.

Got up around 3.30am secured the homestead and was on the road before 5 am, beat the traffic through Tampa, yeah, riding while the sun comes up, oh yeah.

We slowed to around 25 for the Sunpass lane of the second tollbooth on the Veterans Expressway and as I accelerated out of there the big Buffalo started dancing, felt like a flat tire, before I got her to the curb lane I already knew what was happening, heard it scrape every go-round.
Oil all over the wheel, 5.35am this is not going to be a good day!

GPS said Tampa BMW 2-1/2 miles, can I make it? Four way flasher on in the bicycle lane in first gear, hope I don't tear it up, I'm so pissed I don't care.

6am at the shop that don't open till 9 am, puddle of oil under the rear wheel is growing, now what, called a night shift working buddy that's just leaving work, I'll promise you anything if you'll just come and get me please, ok but you gotta take me diving soon, its a deal.

Back home an hour and a half later short trip, dissapointed wife, I'm just pissed.
Stay tuned

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Oct 17th, 2005, 4:48 pm

Unhappy So sorry to hear about that

Sheesh, Hans I can believe you are pissed...
So sorry to hear about another final drive failure, especially that it happened to you.

Looking at the bright side of it, at least you were not far from home, yet. Maybe if you get it fixed in time you can still continue...

Let's hope you get it fixed in decent time.

Best regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures of various farkle projects:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 Old Oct 18th, 2005, 5:58 am

Question

Hans ,sorry to here the bad news when such a great trip was planned . How many miles were on the bike at the time of failure ? Try to get your shop to identify the number of balls the bearing had 19 or 17 ? I hope BMW will warranty the FD . Keep us posted .

Pete

post #4 of 19 Old Oct 18th, 2005, 7:42 am

Smile

Sorry to hear your mishap. I would be really pissed if I were in your shoes. The other fellow was right. On the bright side, it happened near home, and you can fixed it up, go on enjoy your trip and don't have to worry about the rear drive any more. Have a nice trip! We want to hear your trip report.
post #5 of 19 Old Oct 18th, 2005, 7:57 am

Hans, sorry to hear of your troubles. I just purchased a spare rear drive for my bike. I've been debating whether to just keep it as a backup or to install; maybe this will help me make up my mind.

On a brighter side, it won't hurt you to delay your trip you've planned for a week. I live in Western NC near the Blue Ridge Parkway. It has been so warm here that the leaves have hardly any color in them yet. It's been perfect riding weather, cool at night and warm during the day, but no color in the mountains yet.

Hope you get repaired soon and get started on your trip!

Steve
2005 K1200LT
post #6 of 19 Old Oct 18th, 2005, 8:50 am

rear end

what year LT's are having this problem? I have an 05.
post #7 of 19 Old Oct 18th, 2005, 9:46 am

It says 2002 in your profile. Is that correct??
post #8 of 19 Old Oct 18th, 2005, 2:14 pm Thread Starter

Follow up on the rear drive saga

First I want to say thank to all the well wishers at a time like this its good to have friends even as far away as Finland.

The bike is 2002 I bought it last May with 4400 miles on the clock.
The mileage currently is 14079.

I am in the process of reading everything I can find on rear drive failure and intend to fill out the survey's and send the suggested e-mails as soon as I get the appropriate vin and build date numbers of the bike.

Regarding the survey: there doesn't seem to be any common denominator other than K1200LT whether it be solo or two up, trailer or not, mileage varies it just doesn't seem to matter, we're all at risk years 99-2002.

After talking to BMW of Tampa I ended up calling them back and telling them that I would be removing the bike from their parking lot asap and I took it to Haps in Sarasota, the conversation I had with JM at Tampa BMW was not very confidence inspiring and since I bought the bike used and not from them, it just didn't sound like they were going to do a whole lot for me.

Yes I am very fortunate that I broke down close to home as I have more resources available here than I would have had on the Texas prairie somewhere, but I still don't feel very lucky right now.

Now its just a waiting game as I am at the mercy of the dealer.
stay tuned.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer

post #9 of 19 Old Oct 18th, 2005, 2:40 pm

Dave,
Maybe he needs a "Bud Light"...er....I mean a Butt Light!!!
post #10 of 19 Old Oct 18th, 2005, 11:20 pm

recall

Triumph had a rear end problem with the rockett III Solution was a recall and to replace the drive on every unit. Do they know how to deal with this or what... they will have a touring rockett III in 2007. I know one thing Im not buying another LT
post #11 of 19 Old Oct 19th, 2005, 11:59 am

Take a look at the Tour Rocket...

Vince Weidig

2000 LT - LandyachT
2005 Ural Patrol
2003 Artic Cat ATV - Horse
Bayliner Cutty Cabin - Anytime
Airstream B190 -
post #12 of 19 Old Oct 19th, 2005, 2:10 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I'd have to give that a serious look if Triumph brings it to market. I'm pleased as punch with my little Bonne America. Solid as a rock, smooth as silk, and CHEAP!

I'm fixin' to head out on a 1,500 mile weekend and I won't think twice about that little sucker letting me down (knock wood).

Todd R.
Grapevine, TX USA

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"You will now be thrown into the Obamaucracy. In his belly you will find a new definition of pain and suffering as you are slowly taxed to death over the next four years."
post #13 of 19 Old Oct 19th, 2005, 10:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by slmorley
Hans, sorry to hear of your troubles. I just purchased a spare rear drive for my bike. I've been debating whether to just keep it as a backup or to install; maybe this will help me make up my mind ...
Steven, how do you know whether the spare rear drive has the new 17 ball crown wheel bearing, or the old, more failure-prone 19 ball bearing ??

- Bob (just down the road from you in Greenvul, SC)

Cowboy Bob Menton

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
'86 Honda CH-250 scooter (original owner)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"
post #14 of 19 Old Oct 20th, 2005, 7:34 am

Thumbs up

Bob , if the balls in the bearing can't be counted the race will have numbers on the side for ID purposes . At the start of the thread I requested ID of bearing.
Pete
post #15 of 19 Old Oct 20th, 2005, 8:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_menton
Steven, how do you know whether the spare rear drive has the new 17 ball crown wheel bearing, or the old, more failure-prone 19 ball bearing ??

- Bob (just down the road from you in Greenvul, SC)
Bob, it came off a 2005 model. It would have the new crown bearing.

The wife & I are leaving tomorrow for a 1200 mile ride, so I had decided not to install it until after the trip. I don't like to do anything major on my bikes just before a trip in case of a faulty installation. However, after reading Hans' experience, I decided to go ahead and install it.

I installed it yesterday morning. It bolted right up to my 2002. Installation took me about two hours. A better wrench could of probably done it in a hour.

As a added plus it solved my rear brake squealing problem. The drive had the brake disc attached, so I just installed it as a unit rather than put mine back on. I had tried EBC pads, backing compound, and the newer BMW pads with no luck. I rode the bike about 50 miles yesterday with no squealing so I'm hoping it won't come back!

Steve
2005 K1200LT
post #16 of 19 Old Oct 20th, 2005, 9:27 am

WOW ... i like the looks of the triumph. but if the final bike looks like that I have to say they may have trouble with the engine throwing heat onto the rider. the rocket i rode generated a lot of BTUs.
post #17 of 19 Old Oct 20th, 2005, 9:58 am Thread Starter

My rear end failure

Actually my K1200LTE's rear end failure, mine is fine since I had it fixed a few years ago but then that's probably more information than you wanted out of this post.

I just talked to Haps and the status is they have replaced the bearing and are waiting on a seal with a little luck I might get the bike back in time to ride it into a hurricane and all the rain that is sure to come with it.

I have done enough riding to know not to go on a long trip after a major repair and intend to put at least 500 miles on it before we head out.
Even if I get it back tomorrow with the upcoming weather that will put me into leaving Monday.

At this point I am starting to have serious doubts about making the Iron Horse rendezvous, since I am committed to go to Texas first to pickup the Bushtec I have already paid for.

We are still planning on the Parkway it just might be delayed a week,
Y'all have a good time and hoist a cold one for me.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer

post #18 of 19 Old Oct 20th, 2005, 12:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
Any issues with speed or abs senors?
No issues what-so-ever. I checked the abs gap after install and it was ok. No speed sensor on 2002 rear drive.

Steve
2005 K1200LT
post #19 of 19 Old Oct 21st, 2005, 10:26 pm

Triumph does a great job on recalls. My Speed Triple was one of the ones that had bad welds that broke too easily on impact. They replaced the entire frame, no questions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in