Computer mpg issue: tech bulletin - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Oct 17th, 2005, 4:17 pm Thread Starter

Computer mpg issue: tech bulletin

Does anybody know the number of the tech bulletin or service bulletin referenced in this archived forum http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...=&view=&sb=&o=

I have the problem that my computer keeps showing about 16mpg average even after resetting.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Oct 18th, 2005, 12:19 am

Don'tHave Tech # but it is the cable

Just had this repaired at San Jose BMW. They had to replace the cable to the relay box under the tank with a new cable that has a resistor to fix the problem.

Lonnie
post #3 of 11 Old Oct 18th, 2005, 1:39 am

Service Bulletin No.: 13 001 05 (022)

It's #20 on the Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) summary list - link in the HoW [k.4].

post #4 of 11 Old Oct 18th, 2005, 6:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrenc454
Just had this repaired at San Jose BMW. They had to replace the cable to the relay box under the tank with a new cable that has a resistor to fix the problem.
Just for the record (in case someone searches on this in the future), nothing is replaced, but rather a small harness is added in the electrical box. One wire of the harness (with the little electronics pod) taps one of the Moronic's wires, and another is attached to a ground spade in the box.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #5 of 11 Old Oct 18th, 2005, 7:20 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mneblett
Just for the record (in case someone searches on this in the future), nothing is replaced, but rather a small harness is added in the electrical box. One wire of the harness (with the little electronics pod) taps one of the Moronic's wires, and another is attached to a ground spade in the box.
That is right. My dad's bike needed that surgery while mine was fine. It seems that this malady is sporadic and not all bikes are affected.

FWIW: The one thing that affects the fuel-gauge reading, is overfilling. If anyone has ever noticed that the fuel-gauge is responding very very slow after filling up, has tried to put too much go-go juice in the tank.
I experimented with this during my summer trip and every time I 'overfilled' ,the gauge responded very slow. YMMV
post #6 of 11 Old Oct 18th, 2005, 12:02 pm Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Will take it in for warranty repair.

2018 R1200RT Mars Red
2017 R1200GS Rallye
2014 Husky FE501
post #7 of 11 Old Oct 18th, 2005, 12:18 pm

What is considered over filling? I usually fill mine to the bottom of the neck. I know sometimes that it takes a long time to go up. One post said to make sure the key is in the "off" position before filling up. My gauge never reads all the way full. There is usually a gap at the top of the line on my 05'
post #8 of 11 Old Oct 18th, 2005, 12:34 pm
Bouncer

A list of all the technical service bulletins and recalls are in the site's FAQ system and can be found HERE.
post #9 of 11 Old Oct 18th, 2005, 1:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billmer
What is considered over filling? I usually fill mine to the bottom of the neck. I know sometimes that it takes a long time to go up. One post said to make sure the key is in the "off" position before filling up. My gauge never reads all the way full. There is usually a gap at the top of the line on my 05'
Do you leave it on the sidestand when filling? At least on my 2001, when I fill it to the bottom of the neck while on the sidestand, the gauge shows full when I ride away.

Blessings!
munson+

The Rev. John Munson
Vicar,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Burkburnett, Texas
Vicar,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Wichita Falls, Texas
2007 R1200RT "REV ZM"
IRON BUTT ASSOC. #37813
See my video:
post #10 of 11 Old Oct 18th, 2005, 1:46 pm

Yes I have it on the side stand when filling up. I have the new wire installed for the service bulletin. They want to put in a new unit to see if that fixes it. At this point they are just trying things. It's been in 4 times and they still haven't figured it out. I am to the point to where I can live with it. They said if the new unit doens't work then they want to replace the wiring harness. i won't go that far, it will never be right once they rip out the old harness and try to put a new one in.
post #11 of 11 Old Oct 18th, 2005, 2:51 pm

My gauge never reads all the way full. There is usually a gap at the top of the line on my 05'[/QUOTE]

My 99' never reads all the way full, even when up to and slightly in the neck (had to try it).

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans

Jerry P. Hatley

2007 R1200RT (Betty Lou)
2009 Harley Roadglide (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
1999 BMW K1200LT (sold)
2004 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
1998 Harley Roadking Classic (sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in