'05 LT Oil Burning Problem? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Oct 17th, 2005, 12:59 pm Thread Starter

Question '05 LT Oil Burning Problem?

My K1200LT has just 2200 miles on it. Fellow riders report that I smoke when accellerating. My first service was at 1,000 miles (as recommended by my salesman). After 1,200 miles since my oil change the site glass (on center stand) shows oil at the half way mark. I normally leave my bike on the center stand unless on a ride. Should I be concerned about the "black puffs" riders report and the amount of oil consumption at this point?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Oct 17th, 2005, 1:24 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

nope. You do not have oil consumption issues. The bike runs rich to cool the heads when you go full open on the throttle.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #3 of 12 Old Oct 17th, 2005, 2:12 pm

Talking

What Raffy said! Leaving the bike on the side stand for prolonged times will result in some tiny tiny bit of oil seeping by the valve stem seals but that is very normal. At startup this results in some smoke coming from the exhaust.The bike is therefore best parked on the center stand for long periods. If you want to use the side stand just switch of the engine wait 10 seconds to let the oil drain away (you can tilt the bike SLIGHTLY to the right) from the head and then park it as usual.YMMV

post #4 of 12 Old Oct 17th, 2005, 3:13 pm Thread Starter

How is the rich mixture on acceleration related to my oil consumption/burning?
post #5 of 12 Old Oct 17th, 2005, 3:22 pm

What you are saying is that in 1,200mi. you have burned about 1/2 sight glass of oil or less than 1 pint, right?
Since you only have 2,200mi. total on the bike, I would call this normal. Keep an eye on it and give the bike another 12,000 to break in. Oil consumption should be near zero then.
Bruce C
post #6 of 12 Old Oct 17th, 2005, 3:27 pm

When the mixture is rich, there is more fuel in the fuel to air ratio thereby making a bit of smoke. Mine does it and I have used a teaspoon of oil in 11,000 miles.

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC
post #7 of 12 Old Oct 17th, 2005, 4:27 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Was your oil level in the sight glass all the way to the top when parked on the center stand? If so, it was overfilled. It should be in the center of the sight glass. If it was overfilled, then parking on the side stand when on a ride would allow for seepage of oil and would cause the excess oil to burn.

The black smoke is rich fuel burning. If it was oil, you would have a blueish smoke. Follow another LT and watch when they go wide open on the throttle to pass a car or just do a speed run, you will see puffs of black smoke.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #8 of 12 Old Oct 18th, 2005, 11:45 am Thread Starter

Fill Level

Thanks to all for your input. My manual says with the bike on the center stand oil level at the top of the site glass is MAX and at the bottom is MIN. Raf's oil level recommendation of no more than half a site glass (where mine is now) seems in conflict with the manual.
post #9 of 12 Old Oct 18th, 2005, 12:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoman_kp
Thanks to all for your input. My manual says with the bike on the center stand oil level at the top of the site glass is MAX and at the bottom is MIN. Raf's oil level recommendation of no more than half a site glass (where mine is now) seems in conflict with the manual.
My man yull says the same. On sidestand should be middle of glass, Top of glass when on center stand. Some guys run it at mid glass as full when on center stand. Either will be safe.

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans

Jerry P. Hatley
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 R1200RT (Betty Lou)
2009 Harley Roadglide (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
1999 BMW K1200LT (sold)
2004 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
1998 Harley Roadking Classic (sold)
post #10 of 12 Old Oct 18th, 2005, 3:41 pm

In general, as long as there's oil showing in the sight glass, you should be OK. Also note, the manual recommends checking your oil levels when the engine is at normal operating temps. Wait for about 5 minutes after shutting down for all the oil to return to the sump, then check it.

Here's the full scoop straight from the manual...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Checking oil levels.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	302.1 KB
ID:	401  
post #11 of 12 Old Oct 18th, 2005, 4:08 pm

Hey Yeoman,

If anyone laughs at you when you bike smokes at startup,,,, Tell them it was engineered that way to prevent the damage that occurs during a dry/cold start. (Forward thinking in the BMW RD dept).

Jimmy
post #12 of 12 Old Oct 19th, 2005, 8:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZB50
Hey Yeoman,

If anyone laughs at you when you bike smokes at startup,,,, Tell them it was engineered that way to prevent the damage that occurs during a dry/cold start. (Forward thinking in the BMW RD dept).

Jimmy
The oil smoke helps lube the muffler bearings!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in