BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

cracked exhaust pipe

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  dvgb131 
#1 ·
The pipe developed a crack at the welding by the passenger foot peg. Can it be welded to its original state and work as new? should I go with another one or take it out and have it welded? any suggestions?
:(

#3 ·
Yes it can be welded. It typically breaks at the joint with the Catalytic Converter. It is made of stainless steel and can be TIG welded by any competent welding shop. Be sure to purchase new exhaust gaskets for the reinstall.
Gasket ring Qty = 4 Part # 11627662083 Current cost ea. $2.43

#7 ·
Since the pipe is stainless steel it really needs to be TIG welded. Drift argon through the pipe like Saddleman suggested. I guess it would be possible to weld it with a MIG welder with stainless wire and argon but it would be messier.

Robert

#9 ·
Yes the chrome shield has to be removed to weld the entire circumference if need be. If I recall correctly there are some small Torx screws that hold the shield on.

#11 ·
Now, I know that the pipe is stainless, and TIG welding would be "ideal", but I Oxy/Acet welded mine up and it has been just fine. This Stainless is not the highest grade and does just fine with flame welding.
I used to work for an exhaust shop and we flame welded all our SS exhaust tubing with no issues. It takes a little finesse and an understanding of flame welding, but it is possible.
Without boring you with the whole metallurgy thing, understand that not all SS is created equal, some SS could never be flame welded, others can. Most exhaust is of a "lower grade" and welds up just fine.
Just another option for you all. Good luck.

#12 ·
Well it turns out a friend of mine is a quite proficient TIG welder.
He did a nice job on my exhaust today and it bolted right up. No leaks and back to nice and quiet.
FYI: I never did get the chrome cover off. He welded the unit with it on. Not an issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.