What I've Learned on My Trip - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Oct 16th, 2005, 11:08 pm Thread Starter

Talking What I've Learned on My Trip

Well, I made it from Central Nevada to NW Arkansas via US50 safe and sound. This was my first major trip on the bike and I learned a few things I thought I'd share.
1. I definitely packed too much stuff. How many trips will it take before I learn to pack properly? I'm going to mail half of it home before the return trip.
2. The stock seat doesn't work for me. I made a beaded seat cover, which helped a lot, but it didn't really make the ride super comfortable. I think I'll get a gel pad before I head back. There may be a custom seat in my future.
3. This bike really shines in the twisty stuff. The roads are very straight where I live, and my first rear tire got so squared off that I could have parked the bike without using the sidestand. The ride from Grand Junction, Colorado, up over Monarch Pass and down the other side was pure biker Nirvana. I actually let out audible whoops like a kid on a roller coaster ride due to how much fun I was having. Almost used the entire rear tire for a change (ended up with very small chicken strips).
4. The Chicane LT tankbag is worth it's weight in Gold. It really made the trip more enjoyable.
5. I can't believe people don't take their own safety more serious. I was amazed at seeing people without helmets and wearing short pants and tank tops, riding crotch rockets, Goldwings and cruisers in several states.

Anyhow, thanks to everyone on the board for their great advice, which made the trip many times the fun.
Darrell

Round Mountain, Nevada

Current Bikes

2002 BMW K1200LTE (Silver)
2005 Triumph Speed Triple
2000 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
2008 KTM 530 Exc-r
1995 Suzuki DR350S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Oct 16th, 2005, 11:12 pm

First of many...

May this be the first of many trips you take with your LT... Congratulations!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old Oct 18th, 2005, 10:54 am

Had to Smile

Glad you enjoyed your trip. Had to smile.It seems I"m not the only one to yell out those audible whoops but sometimes I just can't help myself.Feels so good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in