New/Used LT - Brakes/Final Drive Lash? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By gary45

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Feb 13th, 2015, 2:35 pm Thread Starter

New/Used LT - Brakes/Final Drive Lash?

I just bought a í99 K1200LT. This makes three in the garage. Iíve also got a 2000 Triumph Adventurer & a í70 BSA Thunderbolt Iím restoring.

Considering the resale values and what other used touring bikes go for, these seem to fall somewhere between an incredible bargain and a white elephant. Iím guessing the low resale is due to the stigma from the final drive failures. Mine has @78K on the clock and the final drive has just been rebuilt, so I figured it would be closer to an ďincredible dealĒ. Iíve got about 500 miles on it now. My first impression is that it runs amazingly smooth compared to anything else Iíve ridden. But Iíve also got some questions & concerns-

First, - as smooth as the engine is, the suspension is not. I tend to feel every small bump in the road. Do these bikes have a harsh ride, or should I just expect this from a 16yr old bike?

Second, this is my first bike with ABS. I live on a dirt/gravel road. I stepped on the rear brake hard to activate the ABS and there was a loud clunk from the rear wheel area. Everything looks tight, but there appears to be a lot of lash in the final drive. With the bike on the centerstand, the rear wheel will move back & forth about 15 degrees or 2 inches at the tire. Is this normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Feb 13th, 2015, 3:00 pm

Re: New/Used LT - Brakes/Final Drive Lash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelmgren View Post
I just bought a í99 K1200LT.... has @78K on the clock and the final drive has just been rebuilt, ...
First, - as smooth as the engine is, the suspension is not. I tend to feel every small bump in the road. Do these bikes have a harsh ride, or should I just expect this from a 16yr old bike?

Second, this is my first bike with ABS. I live on a dirt/gravel road. I stepped on the rear brake hard to activate the ABS and there was a loud clunk from the rear wheel area. Everything looks tight, but there appears to be a lot of lash in the final drive. With the bike on the centerstand, the rear wheel will move back & forth about 15 degrees or 2 inches at the tire. Is this normal?
Congrats, I've owned my 2000 since new. Great bike. You have essentially the same bike.

Did the final drive fail, or was it a preemptive rebuild? (And I wonder who did the rebuild.)

Ride smoothness: I upgraded the original shocks to Ohlins somewhere around 40K miles. Big difference! If you have the original shocks an upgrade will be a noticeable improvement.

ABS: I live on a long gravel drive and ride lots of dirt roads. Gravel is a great place to "flex" the ABS and keep things moving in the ABS circuits. Yes, the K1200LT ABS has a "slow" pulse rate and will "thunk, thunk, thunk" when the ABS is activated. Normal.

Driveline lash: again, normal. No worries.
post #3 of 7 Old Feb 13th, 2015, 3:10 pm Thread Starter

Thanks, lots to learn. I've read some other posts here and see these things all make noises.

I believe the final drive failed. There was a box with a pretty ugly bearing & some other parts in the top box. It was done by a shop called Boxerworks just northeast of Atlanta, GA

post #4 of 7 Old Feb 13th, 2015, 4:47 pm

You can just replace the springs with HyperPro springs, quite a few have done it, the stock springs are very soft and like all springs weaken with age and load.
Patric likes this.

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #5 of 7 Old Feb 13th, 2015, 8:17 pm

Garage

You also might want to check the rear spring preload adjuster. If the PO road loaded 2 up all the time, they may have it set very stiff for just you. Also, these bikes run a reinforced rear tire and most people run it at 48 PSI. This can transmit some road imperfections and feel a little harsh sometimes.
BTW there is a great "how-to" on servicing the pre-load adjuster at this link: Maint./ Repair Videos as well as many many other helpful videos to help you service and repair this wonderful bike.
I also have a 2000 and love it. Some of your "clunk" may also be a little "cow Belling", the rear rotor gets loose and makes a clunking ringing noise that might get loud as the ABS does its thing. Annoying, but harmless. Search for Cow Bell, tons of info on it here.
Well, have fun with your new LT, ride safe.

ďLife should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!Ē
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1997 R1100RT
2000 K1200LT Sold

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old Feb 13th, 2015, 10:31 pm
Cat Herder

Garage

I replaced the shocks with Wilber's from Ted's BMW in North Cal.
You would think the LT would have great everything but the shocks and headlight are crap.

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #7 of 7 Old Feb 13th, 2015, 11:24 pm

Congratulations on the purchase of a fine machine. THE best two up ride in the WORLD!

Oh yes..............the rear abs klunks on my LT also. (front not so much)

If the ride is stiff, it would be my guess that Your new bike already has some sort after market suspension. What color are the springs?

Rand & Susan Hawksworth
2000 K1200LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in