Air Filters ... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 9:58 pm Thread Starter

Air Filters ...

My bike is in for the 24K service (Thought I'd let the BMW dealer do the biggest service on the bike and get the nice stamp of approval)

I told the dealer I wanted to do the K&N Air Filter and he said NOW is the time since they'll have the bike all apart.

What do you guys think ... is the K &N worth it on a K12LT ?

I know on my Custom it made a huge difference on the dyno.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 10:32 pm

I do not know how often you have to oil the k&n. Access to do so is a pain.The stock paper filter should in reality be good for at least 40k unless you live in the desert with lots of dust. I checked mine at 24k and it looked almost new even between the pleats.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #3 of 12 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 10:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petre
My bike is in for the 24K service (Thought I'd let the BMW dealer do the biggest service on the bike and get the nice stamp of approval)

I told the dealer I wanted to do the K&N Air Filter and he said NOW is the time since they'll have the bike all apart.

What do you guys think ... is the K &N worth it on a K12LT ?

I know on my Custom it made a huge difference on the dyno.
it won;t make a difference onthe DYno, but I would go with a external air filter that replaces the air intake muffler, and a external fuel filter, your next services will be much less!!

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)

post #4 of 12 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 10:41 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaun2
I do not know how often you have to oil the k&n. Access to do so is a pain.The stock paper filter should in reality be good for at least 40k unless you live in the desert with lots of dust. I checked mine at 24k and it looked almost new even between the pleats.

your llucky, one time mine was toasted at around 9k miles, I think iposted a pic in this group of the filter you could not see light through it anywhere, I had been back and forth to fl a few times and out west with it,

never will I pull the tank to check and or replace my air filter again!

Woo HOoooooo

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #5 of 12 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 10:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgs
your llucky, one time mine was toasted at around 9k miles, I think iposted a pic in this group of the filter you could not see light through it anywhere, I had been back and forth to fl a few times and out west with it,

never will I pull the tank to check and or replace my air filter again!

Woo HOoooooo
TMGS,

Do you have a link for this external filter?

F
post #6 of 12 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 11:57 pm

I put a K&N in my 2000 K1200LT after the 36,000 mile warranty ran out. I cleaned and reoiled it at 80,000 miles and at 135,000 miles the BMW mechanic saw evidence it was letting alot of dust through and suggested going back to the BMW filter which I did. I also did AMSOIL 20W50 motorcycle oil at 12,000 mile oil changes during that period. So I guess it comes down to whether or not you plan to keep you bike as long as I did. I didn't really notice any more power from the butt dyno or more economy, just hated getting to the air filter.

I sold that bike and got a 2006.

AMSOIL now has 100,000 mile dry nanofiber filters for Harleys that require removal once a year or 25,000 miles for cleaning by vacuming or blowing off the dirt. Filters much better, holds more dirt and yet breathes better than anything else on the market. I'm getting one as soon as/if they ever make it. More info at https://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/eaam.aspx .
post #7 of 12 Old Aug 1st, 2006, 11:36 am

Like Tim Said, alot of dust will get through because that is the more air flow secret of K&N filters (larger openings in the material). I would stick with the BMW filter as it will filter smaller particles. Most normal driving conditions it will last a long time. Matter of fact, this will probably be the last time you change it because you will be buying the new and improved 08' or 09' LT.

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans

Jerry P. Hatley
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 R1200RT (Betty Lou)
2009 Harley Roadglide (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
1999 BMW K1200LT (sold)
2004 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
1998 Harley Roadking Classic (sold)
post #8 of 12 Old Aug 1st, 2006, 1:31 pm

I would stay with the BMW filter and change it 6,000 miles, if you ride alot at speeds above 75.
post #9 of 12 Old Aug 1st, 2006, 3:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Texas
I would stay with the BMW filter and change it 6,000 miles, if you ride alot at speeds above 75.
Maybe 6000 miles if you lived on a dirt road

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
post #10 of 12 Old Aug 1st, 2006, 9:16 pm Thread Starter

Too late ... my dealer switched me to the K&N. I just said fine.

Not in a real dusty area. Plus I'll be changing the pipe so it may help to open up both sides.
post #11 of 12 Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 1:14 pm
NM99K12LT

No difference in low end or throttle response as on my previous HD, but did notice difference at higher speeds - bike seemed to breathe better and would cruise at speed easier. It is important that the K&N gasket be lubed or it may not seal properly when installed/reinstalled.
post #12 of 12 Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 2:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petre
Too late ... my dealer switched me to the K&N. I just said fine.

Not in a real dusty area. Plus I'll be changing the pipe so it may help to open up both sides.
you may want to look into getting your bike re-chipped for better breathing on both ends - those'll both tend to make the bike run leaner.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in