30 MM Deep Socket - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 6:36 pm Thread Starter

30 MM Deep Socket

Having a little trouble locating a 30 MM Deep Socket for my parts kit...

I've looked at the local auto parts and Sears and the two "tool stores", but no luck as of yet.

Where did you find yours ????

Thanks

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 8:24 pm

Available at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...nce&n=15684181

Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->
post #3 of 23 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 9:17 pm
was

I checked McMaster-Carr and was very surprised not to find one. ToolGopher has a bunch, both 3/4 and 1/2 drive, both regular and impact, here: http://www.toolgopher.com/index.asp?...0socket&Page=2

Don't know how they compare to Amazon's offerings in quality or price.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike

post #4 of 23 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 9:21 pm

Yeah, it was hard to find. I used one made by Proto. A tad expensive but I found a couple of Proto dealers who carried them.
post #5 of 23 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 9:45 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile 30mm Socket cut out

Just made up a 30mm socket with cut away for 12mm allen key, as detailed on this site to assist with swing arm removal.
I used a 12pt socket. Need enough cut away to give more than 30 degrees min. angular play for repositioning. A 6pt will need more than 60 degrees.
and so deeper to cut away. This will weaken the socket a little more.
As I recall, torque for assembly requires 200Nm, very high. I had a look at the original BMW tool at the dealers yesterday for comparison. A 6pt impact type socket (black color) weighs a ton. Looks like it would undo the propeller
on the Queen Mary !

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #6 of 23 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 9:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilton
Just made up a 30mm socket with cut away for 12mm allen key, as detailed on this site to assist with swing arm removal.
I used a 12pt socket. Need enough cut away to give more than 30 degrees min. angular play for repositioning. A 6pt will need more than 60 degrees.
and so deeper to cut away. This will weaken the socket a little more.
As I recall, torque for assembly requires 200Nm, very high. I had a look at the original BMW tool at the dealers yesterday for comparison. A 6pt impact type socket (black color) weighs a ton. Looks like it would undo the propeller
on the Queen Mary !
At some point someone might be able to make a nickel or two making and selling this tool, I'd sure be interested.

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

post #7 of 23 Old Aug 1st, 2006, 12:45 pm

Isn't the optimum a 12 point socket? I would think a 6 point wouldn't give you enough range to work with.

Bill McAllister
St. Louis, MO.
2003 K1200LTE
post #8 of 23 Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 1:36 am
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile 12 vrs 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister
Isn't the optimum a 12 point socket? I would think a 6 point wouldn't give you enough range to work with.
I agree, but having seen the OEM tool from BMW, the cut away is very deep, and hence a very solid and robust socket to begin with. Noticed also that it had a two step cut out. Mine is a 12pt, just hope it's up to the load.

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #9 of 23 Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 5:50 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevincook
Beware if you get an impact socket. They are specially hardened and will not facilitate cutting a window in it.
I got a Proto chrome socket after much searching. Used Heavy Duty Dremel cutoff discs to cut the hole. It took about 30 mins and 10 discs, but was not hard to do. The counter guy at the tool company where I bought it has an RC51 and said he also had to cut one for his swingarm and used the cutoff discs. I was skeptical, but it worked fairly well.

-Brian Louw
Arroyo Grande, CA.

2013 K1600GT - Light Grey Metallic
2016 R1200GSA
post #10 of 23 Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 11:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by blouw
Beware if you get an impact socket. They are specially hardened and will not facilitate cutting a window in it.
I got a Proto chrome socket after much searching. Used Heavy Duty Dremel cutoff discs to cut the hole. It took about 30 mins and 10 discs, but was not hard to do. The counter guy at the tool company where I bought it has an RC51 and said he also had to cut one for his swingarm and used the cutoff discs. I was skeptical, but it worked fairly well.
I'm wondering if you couldn't pack it full of sand and blow the hole with a torch?
Take about one minute, if that long. Anybody have an old socket they want to part with for scientific analysis?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #11 of 23 Old Aug 4th, 2006, 4:23 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffklt
At some point someone might be able to make a nickel or two making and selling this tool, I'd sure be interested.
I found a source for these 12 point sockets in Portland, OR at Hall Tool. They weren't cheap, but are professional quality. I actually have 6, along with the allen wrenches, awaiting the window cutout. I have 6 3/16" x 6" long drill bits as well. Work has been too crazy, so I've had little time to continue with this project.

We've also found a source for the M24 x 1.25 taps that may be needed if the last mechanic used excessive loctite on the swingarm. We've been lucky with several swingarm removals, but did have one situation that would have required a whole new swingarm had the local dealer not been kind enough to retap it for us.

The cost for the socket and allen wrench was around $25-$35 (I don't have the receipt handy), and the taps cost $50-$70, depending on how many you order. I know some people who can cut the windows in, but don't have a cost for that yet.

If we can get a rough show of hands of folks who would be interested in getting such a kit, then maybe I can pick this project up and get an exact cost for folks. The tap isn't strictly necessary, but I'd sure hate to have the bike all torn down and then find out that you do need it.

Just respond to this thread and we'll see how much interest is there.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #12 of 23 Old Aug 4th, 2006, 11:17 am
Gold Supporter

30mm socket

NOTICE!!!!!!!!!

For all of you who wish to own one of these modified sockets, Ken Meese and I are going to eventually (probably this fall or early winter) post a message inviting LT owners to sign up for purchasing all the tools for removing the swing arm in conjunction with performing the hole-drilling exercise at the clutch slave cylinder.

Currently, Ken Meese is at the Portland, OR area supporting his customers...he is swamped and won't be able to work accumulation of the tools until this fall or winter. Last spring Ken Meese conducted a Tech Session (slave cylinder hole-drilling)at my residence in Kent, WA. I believe he has a source in the Portland area who can modify the 30mm socket for our use. I haven't asked him if the sockets are 12-pt or 6-pt.

During the Tech Session, we performed the hole-drilling on CONI'S LT and had to 'clean out' the female threads on the left side of the swing arm due to someone previously having used a liberal amount of Locktite which caused galling of the threads. This necessitated trips to two different dealers to find a 24 x 1.25mm tap. David Shealey and I have researched sources for a group purchase of these plug taps. I've received a quote for six and if necessary, twelve taps (considerable savings with quantity!). Six taps = $70.77 ea; twelve taps = $49.32 ea

If anyone is interested in the taps and the remainder of tools such as the modified socket, drill bit, etc., please PM me and I will begin a list for same. Ken is probably going to offer availability of these items which will allow owners to perform the hole-drilling exercise. Should anyone encounter the thread galling we experienced on CONI'S LT trailing arm, the tap will certainly be necessary.

What Ken and I envision is accomodating enough interest to have these tools resident with owners strategically distributed all over the country. Leaking slave cylinders, which in turn ruin the clutch, is a very costly situation which can be avoided. My 05 LT currently has 9k miles with no problem but this winter the hole will be drilled. David Shealey highly recommends performing the hole-drilling if one is mechanically competent to perform the operation or can obtain the help from another owner who is.

Terry
post #13 of 23 Old Aug 4th, 2006, 12:00 pm

I just ordered a tap from here.

http://store.drillsandtaps.com/spmehispstha124.html

$42 delivered to my house.

It seemed like a reasonable price for such an odd size. Maybe you could get an even better deal with a quantity discount.

Good Luck,
Kevin

post #14 of 23 Old Aug 4th, 2006, 11:57 pm

That is a helluva great price! We have been contacting tap suppliers, and the lowest we found was in the $75 range, and then only if buying 3 or more at the same time. Most suppliers wanted over $100 each.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #15 of 23 Old Aug 5th, 2006, 12:35 am

Count me in for the tool set.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #16 of 23 Old Aug 8th, 2006, 6:05 pm

New Tap Arrived

I ordered the 24mm x 1.25 Tap on Friday and it arrived on Monday. Great service and a great price.

If anyone needs one I would recommend the link posted above.

Thanks,
Kevin

post #17 of 23 Old Aug 8th, 2006, 6:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese

If we can get a rough show of hands of folks who would be interested in getting such a kit, then maybe I can pick this project up and get an exact cost for folks. The tap isn't strictly necessary, but I'd sure hate to have the bike all torn down and then find out that you do need it.

Just respond to this thread and we'll see how much interest is there.

OK! I'm showing my hand

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

post #18 of 23 Old Aug 8th, 2006, 7:14 pm
Gold Supporter

I am interested in the set. Please keep me informed.
I ordered the tap from Drill Sand Tap.

Jim Davidson
2007 R1200RT

Last edited by hp1bmw; Aug 8th, 2006 at 7:24 pm. Reason: Changed Status
post #19 of 23 Old Aug 12th, 2006, 8:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevincook
I just ordered a tap from here.

http://store.drillsandtaps.com/spmehispstha124.html

$42 delivered to my house.

It seemed like a reasonable price for such an odd size. Maybe you could get an even better deal with a quantity discount.

Good Luck,
Kevin
Not only is it a great price they deliver a quality tool in short order. It appears to be a limited time special so if you want one don't wait too long.
post #20 of 23 Old Aug 16th, 2006, 6:29 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Yes we have no taps today

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp1bmw
I am interested in the set. Please keep me informed.
I ordered the tap from Drill Sand Tap.
Did you get yours? I ordered one on the 4th- they charged my card on the 7th and then I get this today(8/16):

"We apologize for the inconvenience. We were not informed that our shipping dept has been trying to locate your item unsuccessfully. Your account has been credited and order canceled. We greatly apologize for the inconvenience."

Not sure what happened got a confirmation e-mail on the 5th for this item:

Special Metric High Speed DWTSMT24X1-25 1 35.22 Taptype =
Plug
Steel Hand Tap Size 24mm
x 1.25mm
Subtotal 35.22
Shipping 7.99
Tax 0.00
Total 43.21

Did I order the wrong one?

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #21 of 23 Old Aug 16th, 2006, 9:14 pm

Obviously my hand is still up.

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

post #22 of 23 Old Aug 16th, 2006, 11:19 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
I called them today and they said that's the normal price for the taps, and that I could order from the website with confidence (what else would they say?). I think I'll order a bunch to go with the sockets, allen wrenches, and drill I already have, then I'll be able to send complete kits with the modified 12 point socket. I'll basically just add up actual costs, as I'm more interested in helping others than making a few bucks. Stay tuned.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #23 of 23 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 6:48 am
Lifetime Supporter

30mm socket set

I'll take a set when you get them together.

Dan Martin
Houston, Tx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in