Need Air? Got a Jig Saw? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 6:02 pm Thread Starter

Lightbulb Need Air? Got a Jig Saw?

It started like this:

Self, I Love the V-Stream, but man it has been hot here and the new windsheild really keeps the air off! Wonder what I could do to get more air? Wait the old windshield in the basement...let me drag that out!

A few peices of masking tape and a jig saw later this is what I came up with:

More Pics here.

What do you think? Looks funny right? But I get a ton more air on my upper body which makes riding in this 95 to 100 degree east coast muggyness (is that a word?) much more tolerable. Plus I have zero buffeting..imagine that

I took the little top winglets off too, really didnt change airflow, but they looked kinda funnier with the chopped windshield.

-Ekim
2005 K1200LT (R.I.P.)
Manchester, MD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 6:20 pm

Mmm, tad exteme - but it's got it's charms....

Maybe something more 'in between'??

YOU like it - that's what counts!

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #3 of 14 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 6:24 pm

Comments?

1. Looks like you've just developed the all-new BMW Sport Shield!
2. You might call it the Cee Bailey #1 - 15!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]

post #4 of 14 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 6:52 pm

Now you've done it !

Given me something to do with my old windshield......

I'm also thinking not quite so extreme. But you're right, It's plenty warm behind the Vstream.. Here in the Oklahoma heat...

Thanks for lighting my bulb...

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #5 of 14 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 9:05 pm
ajs

Nice, I like the looks a lot. Except for the mods to the windscreen you and I have similar looking bikes except mine is a beautiful Ocean Blue. I have been trying to make mine over into something more like a GS for air flow. I can't do anything too radical because my wife likes the full blown LT with all its protection and comfort. For that reason anything I do I have to be able to undo for the times she is with me which is most of the time.

I have 3 wind screens an OEM short european for me, an OEM tall and a C Bailey # 2 - 4 for us. I have been thinking about modifying the OEM short to permit more air passage around me. The European is good but I would like to be in the air more.

I think I see you have turned the little side wings parallel to the tupperware. I did that as well and it was a real improvement on air circulation. Have you removed the fixed plexi at the base of the windscreen? Was this hard to do and can it be reversed easily? Is it possible to get a picture straight on from the front with the screen down to get a better idea of shape and height.

I don't think your bike looks funny, I think it's beautiful even if it isn't blue. As I think you can tell, the ton more air on the upper body really has my interest too. Definitely a nice move in the direction I'd like to go.
post #6 of 14 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 9:43 pm
Gold Supporter

Garage
I think you got some'thin

The more I look at it the more sexy it appears to me! I have a CB #2-1. I have the problem of the negative pressure forcing my hands down on the grips and my hands go numb in a short period. Did you say you don't get any more buffeting?

2005 K1200 LT "Graphite Graydude Metallic"

Todd "Graydude" Ask me why I'm the best Realtor you've ever met!

IBA#22266
post #7 of 14 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 10:13 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the compliments. I was thinking that if I tinted the "screen" it will look better.

ajs, here is a pic from the front raised and lowered:

The fixed winglets on the top were pretty easy to remove. While I had the windshield off there is 5 or 6 screws that hold the grey panel on, (One of the screws that holds the grey trim piece on is under the dash light.) once removed you can remove the screw that hold the winglets on and they pop right off.

graydude, There is actually no buffeting, a very smooth air stream. With the V-Stream I need to raise the shield a little to avoid turbulence.

Oh and it makes the bike feel lighter Mmmmm wonder if my gas milage will improve?

-Ekim
2005 K1200LT (R.I.P.)
Manchester, MD

post #8 of 14 Old Aug 1st, 2006, 3:41 am

Mmm, ya know - I wonder what that'd look like painted to match the bike. Maybe just a flat black, ala USAF anti-glare patch. Ya sure don't haffta look through it!

Maybe a coat of flat black on the INSIDE - leave the outside bare....

maybe....

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #9 of 14 Old Aug 1st, 2006, 6:20 am Thread Starter

Quote:
I wonder what that'd look like painted to match the bike
I was thinking the same thing. I was undecided as to go with black or with the bike color. Might have to play around with photo shop and see what I can come up with

I think it will look much better darker though.

-Ekim
2005 K1200LT (R.I.P.)
Manchester, MD

post #10 of 14 Old Aug 1st, 2006, 6:25 am

euro 17 inch screen

Greetings Ekim.

Here in Australia, we have extremes of heat from Summer to Winter. Although we don't get snow unless you're up in our alpine areas. Standard screen on our LT's is the euro cut 17 inch (440mm) job. I'm 6 foot tall and find when fully down I can see over it and when it's fully up I look through the screen and I'm well protected. All things considered, I think it's a good height. A tad taller would be perfect for me, perhaps and inch or two tops.

Either way, the 17 inch job does the job.

Kindest regards
Paul Harrington
AU
[email protected]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	this will do.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	313.8 KB
ID:	5480  

1999 K1200LT Champagne "Bismarck"
1983 base K100 "Bavarian Belle"
post #11 of 14 Old Aug 1st, 2006, 6:45 am Thread Starter

The 17" euro screen is what I cut down. I swapped for it when I bought the bike because I didnt like the tall windshield. I liked the look of the euro cut, but had very bad buffeting which drove me crazy. Bought the V-stream which solved the problem, but then when it got hot hot hot I wasnt getting enough air, hence chop up the euro shield

-Ekim
2005 K1200LT (R.I.P.)
Manchester, MD

post #12 of 14 Old Aug 1st, 2006, 9:55 am

Looks great and more air is obvious. I recently cut down a stock shield from the standard 24" to 19". I also cut 1.5 " vertically off each side. I used the top of the shield, after initial cut as a template for the final inch off the top. Thus, I retained the original shape, just made it smaller.

Works great in the summer heat but all the way up, I can see over the shield just barely and I finally got caught is a strong thunder shower a few days ago. (I had been chasing clouds for a month to test it, it has been very dry here) and I was disapointed in the rain protection. My other bikes offer better rain protection even though they are smaller and a little shorter. Cannot figure out the deal here as my custom job is still much larger than the shields on those other bikes. Shape??

Bottom line, please go get rained on really hard and report back! I might want to round my top off like yours. Yours looks better(sportier) anyway.

Thanks, Tom

Tom

2003 R1150RT, Black Beauty--this is one sexy bike!
1999 R1100GSA, Does everything well, what else can one say?
1992 K75SA, If this engine had been 4-valve instead of 2, it would be the smoothest BMW ever built!
1978 R100S, my first and favorite BMW.
1976 R75/6, A 30 year old gentlemen I still love to take out for a Sunday ride.
post #13 of 14 Old Aug 1st, 2006, 10:55 am

Smile Pretty Nice...wanna try another....

jigsaw cut?!?!?

Ekim,

I live in Eldersburg...not to far from you. I have an old stock screen that i'd love to try cutting down, but never had the "guts" to do it. Maybe we could get together and try a little "cutt'n"?~!??~

thanks,

chris little
post #14 of 14 Old Aug 1st, 2006, 11:31 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Bottom line, please go get rained on really hard and report back!

Well, I imagine if I get rained on (lightly or hard) I will be gettn' wet. The little screen pushes the air right at my chest and shoulders, perfect for hot weather...soggy for rain I'm sure. I'll be sure to report my findings though.

Quote:
I live in Eldersburg...not to far from you. I have an old stock screen that i'd love to try cutting down, but never had the "guts" to do it. Maybe we could get together and try a little "cutt'n"?~!??~
Chris,

Drop me a PM or email and we can arrange a time when you are feeling daring. I'll tackle it for you, as long as I can buy my way out with a 12 pack if I screw up! . Actually it wasnt too hard, I just used some masking tape to create the line I wanted, taped up where the foot of the jigsaw would come in contact with the plexi and cut away. Used a dremel and a little sand paper to clean up the edges and I was good.

After a few photo shop drafts I think I'm going to paint it to match the silver of the trim and bottom of the bike. I think it will really add to the two tone look. I might make a template first out of poster board, paint that and stick it in the windscreen to see what it looks like before I get paint happy!

-Ekim
2005 K1200LT (R.I.P.)
Manchester, MD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in