Tupperware off- Not so bad - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By jzeiler
  • 1 Post By saddleman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Feb 8th, 2015, 8:34 pm Thread Starter

Tupperware off- Not so bad

Finally decided to remove the Tupperware and do some maintenance that may or may not be needed. Being the 3rd owner of the bike, I don't know what the previous owners did before I bought it.

Today I:
Changed engine oil
Replaced air filter- Very easy
Replaced fuel filter- Pretty easy (discovered I have metal Q/D's... nice)
Replaced spark plugs- Real easy (old ones were pretty loose. Took out the NGK's and put Bosch plugs back in. Torqued them to specs)

Later this week:
Check valve clearance (hope all is good)
DDM Tuning HID low AND high beam upgrade (35w low and 55w high)
Replace bulbs in PIAA lights (went the Home depot bulb route, going back to PIAA bulbs)
Replace Coolant w/BMW factory antifreeze
Run wiring for my GPS and stop using the map light wiring
Change Transmission and Final Drive gear oil

My radio does not work well and I believe I have an antenna issue. I plan to buy a universal antenna, plug it in and see if that is the problem. If so, I may try to install something other than a BMW antenna (not sure if I can remove the old antenna, use the mount and install an aftermarket antenna).

So far, this has been pretty painless. Getting the Tupperware and tank off were much easier than I thought. Looking forward to finishing, putting things back together and going for a test ride next weekend (or the weekend after depending on how quickly I get things done).

The bike looks pretty sad in it's current state!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nikon 02082015 037.jpg
Views:	657
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	73657   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nikon 02082015 039.jpg
Views:	503
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	73665  

2003 K1200LT
Washougal, WA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Feb 8th, 2015, 10:10 pm

Garage
Re: Tupperware off- Not so bad

Nice work! I remember my apprehension taking off the tupperware the first time. Definitely not worried about doing it anymore! Although I am trying to document where the certain size screws go. My 2005 seems to be symmetrical so I think the screws are in factory placement. My 2003 had been torn apart many times before I got it and there was no sense in trying to document it.

If you do your tranny oil, you'll need a short 14mm allen. I found a tool on eBay that works great. Couldn't find it locally. Good luck with the valve job. Always a bonus when the clearances are all in spec.

1973 Yamaha 250 Enduro (crash and burn)
1982 Yamaha Virago 920 (sold)
Honda CB750 Custom (sold...good riddins!)
2003 K1200LT - Black (for sale)
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue Metallic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old Feb 8th, 2015, 10:20 pm Thread Starter

Thanks, I started keeping track of which ones went where but gave up. I have them sorted by left upper and lower and right upper and lower. I'm sure a few will go in the wrong spot but hopefully it will not be a huge issue.

I've changed the engine, transmission and final drive oil a handful of times so I have that down. Just hate taking off that exhaust bracket to get to the transmission drain. Will a short 14mm allen make it so I do not have to remove that bracket?

2003 K1200LT
Washougal, WA

post #4 of 15 Old Feb 8th, 2015, 10:56 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlrrp View Post
Thanks, I started keeping track of which ones went where but gave up. I have them sorted by left upper and lower and right upper and lower. I'm sure a few will go in the wrong spot but hopefully it will not be a huge issue.

I've changed the engine, transmission and final drive oil a handful of times so I have that down. Just hate taking off that exhaust bracket to get to the transmission drain. Will a short 14mm allen make it so I do not have to remove that bracket?
I hope to put together some decent documents on screw placement at some point. There are some drawings out there that folks have passed my way that I can share. Trying to expand on that as I take things apart but haven't done any decent drawings on them.

As for the short 14mm wrench - no, you still need to remove the bracket. I found that a long T handle wrench works well to take off the smaller bolt in that bracket. The bigger one doesn't seem to be much of an issue.

Anytime I can find a tool to make a job easier, it gets added to my toolbox.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 Old Feb 9th, 2015, 12:13 am

The antenna was probably damaged when previous owner took it off. I was able to repair mine after I figured out how it worked/attached at the connection. Give it a try. I've not had any problems for five yrs., but I'd have to take it apart to remember what I did. Enjoy the bike.

2000 Lt
800 Kawasaki
25 yrs. without
750 Suzuki
550 Suzuki
160 Honda

The ride is fresh under diamond skies, makes me glad to be alive.
post #6 of 15 Old Feb 9th, 2015, 8:38 am

Someone posted a really good drawing for the tupper-ware screw placement. I attached a post by PMitchell that is helpful but there is a good drawing showing where the different sizes go, just couldn't find it.

PMitchell post will be the third one down when you open the post below:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...CREW+PLACEMENT

This was included at the bottom of PMitchell third link and is a drawing showing screw length placement

http://www.bmwlt.com/ubbthreads/down...h_id=7879?Cat=

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdepas View Post
I hope to put together some decent documents on screw placement at some point. There are some drawings out there that folks have passed my way that I can share. Trying to expand on that as I take things apart but haven't done any decent drawings on them.

As for the short 14mm wrench - no, you still need to remove the bracket. I found that a long T handle wrench works well to take off the smaller bolt in that bracket. The bigger one doesn't seem to be much of an issue.

Anytime I can find a tool to make a job easier, it gets added to my toolbox.

Last edited by norton; Feb 9th, 2015 at 8:55 am.
post #7 of 15 Old Feb 9th, 2015, 8:53 am

My bike was torn down like that for most of January for winter maintenance - replaced brake lines, O2 sensor, adjusted valve clearances, new plugs, air filter, fluids & probably a few other minor things. Got it back together last weekend and it fired right up & no ABS faults!

It was nice to go for a ride and stow the lift table until next time.

For the Tupperware screws, I just throw them in two zip lock baggies - one for long and one for short. After one or two times apart it's pretty easy to tell what goes where - short for single plastic thickness, long for double thickness, well nuts, deflector wings, etc.

Jim
2003 BMW K1200LT (my favorite 2 wheeled land yacht)
2008 Yamaha FJR1300 (recent addition)
1982 Yamaha Vision (long gone)
post #8 of 15 Old Feb 9th, 2015, 3:49 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Thanks, I started keeping track of which ones went where but gave up.
General rule of thumb. If it goes into a rubber well nut - long screw, if it goes through two or more pieces of plastic - medium screw, with everything else can be a medium or short screw. There are some very short but most can accept a short except the 05+ with central locking the one that goes left of the lock in the tongue of the stingray must be a very short or it will jam the lock servo.
Patric likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #9 of 15 Old Feb 9th, 2015, 5:11 pm
Lifetime Supporter

"My radio does not work well and I believe I have an antennae issue. I plan to buy a universal antenna, plug it in and see if that is the problem. If so, I may try to install something other than a BMW antenna (not sure if I can remove the old antenna, use the mount and install an aftermarket antenna)."

Years ago I posted a how to on the radio antennae. The short version is that it loses connection or shorts out at the rear bracket. As I recall I drilled mine out somehow and redid the connection from the cable to the antennae shaft where it passes through the bracket. Pretty easy fix. Works great now. Check for continuity between the male pin on the radio plug through the antennae tip. Then check for short to ground between the tip and the bracket. You should see full continuity through the antennae and nothing through the bracket.

post #10 of 15 Old Feb 9th, 2015, 5:49 pm
Enjoy The Ride

The spark plugs should not have been changed until after the valve clearance check.
Patric likes this.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #11 of 15 Old Feb 9th, 2015, 10:13 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies with advice and tips. The tips and the diagram for the screws will help. Should have read more about the plugs before removing them. I was actually not going to check the valve clearance but decided to after changing the plugs. Didn't make sense to put the Tupperware back on without doing that.

From what I saw in the video, the plugs are removed for the valve check but I've also read that they should not be removed because small pieces of carbon can fall in the cylinder and mess up the measurement. When I do the check, I'll just remove the new plugs so the motor is easier to turn over.

As for the radio, I don't use it but it bugs me that it doesn't work. The right side speakers went out so the entire radio most likely is having issues. Maybe a Jensen radio is in my future.

2003 K1200LT
Washougal, WA
post #12 of 15 Old Feb 10th, 2015, 8:07 am

Garage

Quote:
From what I saw in the video, the plugs are removed for the valve check but I've also read that they should not be removed because small pieces of carbon can fall in the cylinder and mess up the measurement. When I do the check, I'll just remove the new plugs so the motor is easier to turn over.

As for the radio, I don't use it but it bugs me that it doesn't work. The right side speakers went out so the entire radio most likely is having issues. Maybe a Jensen radio is in my future.
May not want to pull the plugs before the valve check if you are still planning to do it now. That is just another opportunity to knock carbon into the exhaust valves. It isn't too difficult to turn over with the plugs in.

I sent my radio to Baris to have an upgraded amp and aux port installed. He also had an option for bluetooth. I emailed him a week or two ago to see about getting bluetooth added to my '05 radio but he never responded so I don't know if he is still working on BMW radios. He did a great job on my '03 when I had a blown out channel.

post #13 of 15 Old Feb 15th, 2015, 10:52 pm Thread Starter

Update....

Installed the new HID high and low beam kits (DDM Tuning). 35watt low beam and 55watt high beam. Also, unhooked my GPS wiring from the map light and went to the battery. The front fairing/nose cone is all put back together and done!

Also installed an additional LED tail/brake light that I bought on Ebay. Seems to work great. Had to lower the license plate and cut a hole for the light, but it looks fine. Pics attached (not very good pics)!

As soon as the coolant arrives (should have just bought it at a shop instead of ordering it online), I can change the coolant and start thinking of putting this thing back together and doing some riding.

I also plan to install a marine usb charging port near the headlight adjustment nob to charge my Iphone. The one I ordered is a surface mount, just have to see if there is enough room there to drill a hole and install it.

Not sure if it needed the new air filter, fuel filter and sparkplugs since I don't know when they were last changed, but now I know it won't need them for quite awhile.

So far, this project has been pretty easy. Thanks to everyone on this site for posting tips and advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Taillight.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	74249   Click image for larger version

Name:	Brakelight.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	74257  

2003 K1200LT
Washougal, WA
post #14 of 15 Old Feb 16th, 2015, 6:38 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Hi, Just a thought,...you might want to change your brake fluid wile your at it.

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #15 of 15 Old Feb 16th, 2015, 6:39 pm Thread Starter

Not a bad idea. I plan to change out the brake lines but was going to wait until next winter.

2003 K1200LT
Washougal, WA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in