Muth mirror range of motion - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Buff8stuff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Feb 8th, 2015, 7:27 am Thread Starter

Garage
Muth mirror range of motion

Working on a project to change the mounting of the mirror assembly to magnets instead of the post and spring clip used stock (different thread). Anyway - I pulled off the mirror to get the assembly apart and thought about installing Muth signal mirrors. My concern with the LED mounting on the back of outside of the mirror, is the range of motion. Currently I adjust my mirror to the extreme bottom outside corner. Does anyone know if the Muth mirror has as much travel?

For me, it would be ideal if the mirror actually had a slight convex shape to lessen the blind spot. I don't want to add the little convex stick on mirror.

1973 Yamaha 250 Enduro (crash and burn)
1982 Yamaha Virago 920 (sold)
Honda CB750 Custom (sold...good riddins!)
2003 K1200LT - Black (for sale)
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue Metallic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Feb 8th, 2015, 8:47 am

Re: Muth mirror range of motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdepas View Post
Working on a project to change the mounting of the mirror assembly to magnets instead of the post and spring clip used stock (different thread). Anyway - I pulled off the mirror to get the assembly apart and thought about installing Muth signal mirrors. My concern with the LED mounting on the back of outside of the mirror, is the range of motion. Currently I adjust my mirror to the extreme bottom outside corner. Does anyone know if the Muth mirror has as much travel?

For me, it would be ideal if the mirror actually had a slight convex shape to lessen the blind spot. I don't want to add the little convex stick on mirror.
Mine were on it when I bought the bike. On the right mirror it seems limited to the outside bottom corner. But both are somewhat limited to going farther. Not that big a deal for me though.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #3 of 12 Old Feb 8th, 2015, 8:50 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by james216 View Post
Mine were on it when I bought the bike. On the right mirror it seems limited to the outside bottom corner. But both are somewhat limited to going farther. Not that big a deal though.
I don't want to limit it anymore than it is. I already only have real use of the outside half of the mirror because it won't travel out any further than that. I don't want to go to Muth mirrors and find out I don't even get that much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 Old Feb 8th, 2015, 9:16 am

I have the muth mirrors and the LED unit is approx. 3/8" thick. I never seem to have an issue with seeing what I need as I turn the mirror out pretty far too. Since I did not get the original mirrors with the bike when I bought it I can't tell you exactly, so I put the mirror in the farthest downward outside position and measured 1" at the bottom outside corner of the mirror between the front edge of the mirror housing and the face of the mirror glass. That is as far as it goes in and I can feel the LED unit hitting. I can't imagine you need it to go farther than that. Hope that helps.
post #5 of 12 Old Feb 8th, 2015, 9:18 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton View Post
I have the muth mirrors and the LED unit is approx. 3/8" thick. I never seem to have an issue with seeing what I need as I turn the mirror out pretty far too. Since I did not get the original mirrors with the bike when I bought it I can't tell you exactly, so I put the mirror in the farthest downward outside position and measured 1" at the bottom outside corner of the mirror between the front edge of the mirror housing and the face of the mirror glass. That is as far as it goes in and I can feel the LED unit hitting. I can't imagine you need it to go farther than that. Hope that helps.
Thanks. The measurement is helpful. I will measure mine when I get off work.

post #6 of 12 Old Feb 8th, 2015, 6:09 pm
SEG

I have Muth mirrors and they're a great safety item. I would not hesitate getting another pair if I ever replace the LT. The company has excellent customer service. I had a mirror fly off after hitting an expansion joint at speed on an interstate. Muth sent me a replacement at no cost; and I had bought my mirrors over three years earlier.
Back to your question about limited range of motion and rear visibility. I didn't have a problem with the rear visibility, it seems to be good enough and similar to stock. However I did add a pair of Saeng quick scan mirrors to fill in the blindspots.

- 2009 LT
- BMW MOA #92950
- BMW RA #41621
- IBA #35299
post #7 of 12 Old Feb 8th, 2015, 7:54 pm

I believe that the muth mirrors has the text on both of them that says objects may be closer than they actually are (or something like that). The range of motion should be the same as the oem's.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #8 of 12 Old Feb 8th, 2015, 8:20 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino View Post
I believe that the muth mirrors has the text on both of them that says objects may be closer than they actually are (or something like that). The range of motion should be the same as the oem's.
Would be great if they were convex mirrors. About half my mirror is showing me the rear case. Think I will shoot them an email for some clarification. I didn't see anything about that on their listing.

Sounds like folks really like the Muth mirrors. I like they are made in my old home state of WI.

post #9 of 12 Old Feb 9th, 2015, 9:07 am

+1 on customer service. I had chip in the glass and sent me a new one, no cost or questions asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEG View Post
I have Muth mirrors and they're a great safety item. I would not hesitate getting another pair if I ever replace the LT. The company has excellent customer service. I had a mirror fly off after hitting an expansion joint at speed on an interstate. Muth sent me a replacement at no cost; and I had bought my mirrors over three years earlier.
Back to your question about limited range of motion and rear visibility. I didn't have a problem with the rear visibility, it seems to be good enough and similar to stock. However I did add a pair of Saeng quick scan mirrors to fill in the blindspots.
post #10 of 12 Old Feb 9th, 2015, 10:04 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdepas View Post
Would be great if they were convex mirrors. About half my mirror is showing me the rear case. Think I will shoot them an email for some clarification. I didn't see anything about that on their listing.

Sounds like folks really like the Muth mirrors. I like they are made in my old home state of WI.
Yes the Muth mirrors are nice because of the enhanced visibility given by the signals, anything that makes us more visible to the cagers. Even the stock mirrors though don't give the best rear-view, a good number of riders have added the RS mirrors that mount on the handlebars. They really help with the rear-view and they look like they belong on the bike.
JNW003 likes this.
post #11 of 12 Old Feb 9th, 2015, 11:36 am

Had them on my 00 LT, going to install on my current 02 LT. also had them on my old HD Ultra. Loved them, used to sell and install them.. You can't go wrong . . . Great safety add to any bike or car !

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

Last edited by EzyMount; Feb 9th, 2015 at 11:46 am.
post #12 of 12 Old Feb 9th, 2015, 4:20 pm Thread Starter

Garage

I'm just about ready to pull the trigger. I asked if they offer them in the convex shape to allow more rear viewing angle. If they can do that - they are a major winner! It really is too bad the stock mirrors don't have more outward movement.

EDIT: They just responded to my email: ...our SignalŪ Mirror kit is manufactured with convex glass.

ORDER PLACED!

Last edited by rdepas; Feb 9th, 2015 at 5:04 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in