Sluggish fuel level sensor - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Scouter-50

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Feb 7th, 2015, 4:02 pm Thread Starter

Sluggish fuel level sensor

Riders:
I have just taken a pre re-Tupperware install ride on my LT following a major service which included fuel filter and new fuel lines. I installed the flexible accordion type lines inside the tank. These lines are less "compact" than the original. I was very careful to align the pump plate when installing. I now seem to have a sluggish fuel level sensor. Now looking at the drawings in my clymer manual, the sensor is not a float on an arm type, but rather an enclosed type. I would not think that one of my new fuel lines would be interfering with it's function. But I could be wrong. Any advice?

Thanks much!

Bob Lower
Casper, WY

'01 K1200LT
'03 R1150 RT
'13 R1200GS
'79 R100T w/Hack
'10 Triumph Thunderbird
'09 Triumph Bonneville
'07 Guzzi Norge
'88 HD FLHS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Feb 7th, 2015, 4:20 pm

Re: Sluggish fuel level sensor

I did the lines on my bike a few months ago and have not noticed a change. Did you ensure that you got the pump assembly back in that tank so that you were able to tighten it and end up with the alignment arrows meeting? I think if the orientation is off it could make a difference but then again, if it was off by much you would have difficulty getting your fuel lines connected back up.

Steve Green
US Army (Ret)
2002 KLT
Titan Silver

I don't like making plans for the day....because then the word "premeditated" gets thrown around in the courtroom.
post #3 of 6 Old Feb 7th, 2015, 5:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbob307 View Post
Riders:
I have just taken a pre re-Tupperware install ride on my LT following a major service which included fuel filter and new fuel lines. I installed the flexible accordion type lines inside the tank. These lines are less "compact" than the original. I was very careful to align the pump plate when installing. I now seem to have a sluggish fuel level sensor. Now looking at the drawings in my clymer manual, the sensor is not a float on an arm type, but rather an enclosed type. I would not think that one of my new fuel lines would be interfering with it's function. But I could be wrong. Any advice?

Thanks much!
The only thing I can think of that some how you put a little dent in the tube where the float goes up and down in; maybe some how when were changing the filter and hoses you might of come in contact with the tube of the float the tube is thin it would not take much

Gary
2003 K1200LT

post #4 of 6 Old Feb 7th, 2015, 6:05 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by sluggish. The fuel level has always been slow on mine. It is even slow with the used sensor that I replaced my defective one with.

Robert
cbpip likes this.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old Feb 7th, 2015, 7:38 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter-50 View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by sluggish. The fuel level has always been slow on mine. It is even slow with the used sensor that I replaced my defective one with.

Robert
Thanks for the info folks. It's slow to respond to filling the tank. Took a minute or so to realize it was full. Never noticed that before. I suspect I have one of those new fuel lines pushing against the sensor tube. Drat! Man I hate taking that damned stingray off again!

Bob Lower
Casper, WY

'01 K1200LT
'03 R1150 RT
'13 R1200GS
'79 R100T w/Hack
'10 Triumph Thunderbird
'09 Triumph Bonneville
'07 Guzzi Norge
'88 HD FLHS
post #6 of 6 Old Feb 7th, 2015, 7:54 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

It is not an "instant" read type of gauge. It will up date the levels at regular intervals so if you just filled up and it read it, it will be full but if the cycle is waiting it could be a minute or two before it updates. My GS used to take 2-3 minutes to show a filled tank and that was a fuel strip not float at all.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in