Re Clutch release knock - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Feb 7th, 2015, 2:41 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Leduc , Alberta , Canada
Posts: 296
Re Clutch release knock

Hi everyone,

Hope you can help me figure out the reason for my clutch knock.
If I sit astride the bike with it in first gear and begin to release the clutch until it bites then pull it back wait a second for bike to roll ever so little backward and then again release lever and keep doing this a few times (Rocking the bike back and forth) I hear a knock sounding consistent with the engaging of first gear, almost a thunk sound. I had Bighopper one of the local lads here in Canada check it out last year one Saturday morning. His response was everything sounds OK. But I still worry something is adrift or maybe the final drive gear lash maybe out. Anyone like to make a suggestion? Thank you.

Richard

BMWMOA
Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 K1200LT Storm Grey metallic
Uni Go Trailer
Chayside is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old Feb 7th, 2015, 7:23 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 978
Re: Re Clutch release knock

K knock, some are worse than others, it is a big clunky 3 shaft transmission, if someone who has put some miles on K's thinks it is OK it most likely is. My 00 is my third one and they have all been the same.

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
gary45 is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old Feb 7th, 2015, 3:28 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: West Valley, UT, USA
Posts: 414
Re: Re Clutch release knock

This reminds me of that old joke.
Patient: doctor it hurts when I do this.
Doctor: Then don't do that.

In other words if your only getting the abnormal noise when you do something over and over that isn't really normal, but it isn't happening when you ride normally, stop trying to make it happen. Just ride and have fun. If the noise starts happening when you take off normally then you can worry.
Buff8stuff is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 Old Feb 7th, 2015, 4:24 pm
Senior Member
 
CharlieVT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: The Deep South of Vermont
Posts: 4,395
Re: Re Clutch release knock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayside View Post
Hi everyone,

Hope you can help me figure out the reason for my clutch knock.
If I sit astride the bike with it in first gear and begin to release the clutch until it bites then pull it back wait a second for bike to roll ever so little backward and then again release lever and keep doing this a few times (Rocking the bike back and forth) I hear a knock sounding consistent with the engaging of first gear, almost a thunk sound. I had Bighopper one of the local lads here in Canada check it out last year one Saturday morning. His response was everything sounds OK. But I still worry something is adrift or maybe the final drive gear lash maybe out. Anyone like to make a suggestion? Thank you.

Richard
Sounds to me like you are just taking up the drive line lash. Between the tranny, drive shaft, and final drive, there is a lot of "slop".

Some folks have put their KLTs on the centerstand and rotated the rear wheel back and forth with the tranny in gear, in doing so, it is possible to rotate the wheel quite a bit. There will be quite a bit of wheel rotation before the drive line lash is taken up. It can seem like a lot, but it is normal.
CharlieVT is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old Feb 7th, 2015, 8:00 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire
 
jzeiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hazel Green, AL, USA
Posts: 13,271
Re: Re Clutch release knock

In addition to what every one else has said, I'll add this. If you dropping the RPM below 900 during this evolution of clutch in clutch out then you are getting a case of the K bike rattle. The crank connects to the output shaft and the alternator drive is on the same gear. At very low RPMs they will bang around, rattle and clunk. Just the nature of this drive system. Here you can see the crank and the alternator drive gears and the second picture shows the alternator drive and output shaft gears.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Innards2_original.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	73561   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	236.5 KB
ID:	73569  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jzeiler is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old Feb 8th, 2015, 1:20 am Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Leduc , Alberta , Canada
Posts: 296
Re: Re Clutch release knock

Thanks to all who replied. I did notice a lot of slack from the rear wheel to the engine whilst turning it over doing valve checks. I figured this was down to me having the bike in 4th gear. But if all of you think this is consistent to all K bikes then I will choose to ignore it going forward. At least until it should become more apparent during normal riding.

I sometime wonder though how a bike when in its prime was being sold at such a high price and looked upon as a top of the line touring bike should have so many quirky things to it like this transmission free play, rattling Tupperware, final drive issues, misreading speedometers, poor headlights etc etc. still I have to admit despite the short list above it is the most comfortable bike I have owned.

BMWMOA
Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 K1200LT Storm Grey metallic
Uni Go Trailer
Chayside is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old Feb 8th, 2015, 9:53 am
Senior Member
 
norton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Doylestown, Pa, usa
Posts: 787
Re: Re Clutch release knock

Unfortunately all motorized toys have the good and bad engineering. You end up with the one that speaks to you like no other has. Example, sorry for the non-BMW Example, my 2006 Ford F150 pick-up, which I love, only had a few minor glitches but then I hit the 100,000 mile spark plug change service and found out the ford engine designers developed the worst spark plug/head arrangement known to man. The weak two piece factory spark plugs build up carbon around the plug protrusion and the recess in the head and won't come out. Dealer charges $400 to change plugs if they do not break and $75 additional for each plug that breaks and they most always break, out comes the special spark plug extraction tool and pray. That is the upside, the downside is that the broken pieces can fall into the combustion chamber then the head has to come off. Ford stopped using the design but will not admit fault that costs owners huge amounts of money. The bastards won't even subsidize the ridiculous cost to replace the plugs due to their piss poor design. Smells of BMW FD scenario. I guess I should of went to the ford forum, oops had to vent.
norton is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old Feb 8th, 2015, 10:03 am
Senior Member
 
sailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Montreal ,QC , Canada
Posts: 1,171
Re: Re Clutch release knock

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton View Post
Unfortunately all motorized toys have the good and bad engineering. You end up with the one that speaks to you like no other has. Example, sorry for the non-BMW Example, my 2006 Ford F150 pick-up, which I love, only had a few minor glitches but then I hit the 100,000 mile spark plug change service and found out the ford engine designers developed the worst spark plug/head arrangement known to man. The weak two piece factory spark plugs build up carbon around the plug protrusion and the recess in the head and won't come out. Dealer charges $400 to change plugs if they do not break and $75 additional for each plug that breaks and they most always break, out comes the special spark plug extraction tool and pray. That is the upside, the downside is that the broken pieces can fall into the combustion chamber then the head has to come off. Ford stopped using the design but will not admit fault that costs owners huge amounts of money. The bastards won't even subsidize the ridiculous cost to replace the plugs due to their piss poor design. Smells of BMW FD scenario. I guess I should of went to the ford forum, oops had to vent.
Like any complex engineering design there are many compromises until the product hits the customer, Unfortunately, in many cases, their final cost of production has a lot to do with it (Ford, BMW, anyone...).

Once a market target date has been decided (many years before), even if they find out their design is not optimum (being polite here), they will see the cost and delays to change the design as a big factor.

At the end, what you get as a customer has nothing to do with perfect engineering but a cost / profit compromise. This is the reason I NEVER do any major buy for any product (Car, Motorcycles...) until a new design model has been on the market for 2 to 3 years. Using various sources, from consumer's magazine to forums will eventually raise a few red flags. Based on this I can make a better decision and avoid some frustrations. In addition, I can buy a good used unit from a well caring owners for 50% to 65% of the retail price.

I know some like to have the latest/greatest toy - I am OK with this as they are my Beta testers. I have been involved in Software for 20 years and I am also frustrated by buggy software ;-)

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."

Last edited by sailor; Feb 8th, 2015 at 10:10 am.
sailor is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old Feb 8th, 2015, 10:20 am
Senior Member
 
norton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Doylestown, Pa, usa
Posts: 787
Re: Re Clutch release knock

Your right on the money, Hence airbags that lacerate your face, faulty ignition switches that kill you, gas tanks that explode, on and on. It makes sense that these corporations that knowingly sell a product that is inherently deadly should pay through the nose. Unfortunately it still appears that the profits from sales still far out weighs the losses from the law suits and correcting their wrongs. Can you imagine if the watchdog agencies and groups were not around, we would all still be driving the Yugos and Corvairs .



Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Like any complex engineering design there are many compromises until the product hits the customer, Unfortunately, in many cases, their final cost of production has a lot to do with it (Ford, BMW, anyone...).

Once a market target date has been decided (many years before), even if they find out their design is not optimum (being polite here), they will see the cost and delays to change the design as a big factor.

At the end, what you get as a customer has nothing to do with perfect engineering but a cost / profit compromise.
norton is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need DIY Clutch Plate Installation Advice - R1200RT '08 Dimond RT Series 2 Jul 5th, 2015 8:32 pm
Take off, 'eh? Starting the LT from stop... petevandyke K1200LT 26 May 30th, 2012 10:48 am
Clutch Slip - Need Advise wardenross K1200LT 18 Jul 9th, 2009 2:50 am
Lost pressure in the clutch system BecketMa K1200LT 14 Oct 10th, 2008 9:45 am
03 LT clutch slipping at 61K the_rocketman K1200LT 2 Aug 10th, 2008 3:24 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome