Windshield finally crapped out yesterday - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 7:53 am Thread Starter

Angry Windshield finally crapped out yesterday

My shield has finally done what most have griped about on this forum, fogged up and delaminating. Now if I cannot get satisfaction from dealer, what are the pros & cons on the Cee Baileys BMW 1200 LT #1 std. cut & euro cut vs. BMW 1200 LT #2?

Jerry
2004 K1200LTC Night Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 12:01 pm

Take care with your new one.

I see all the BMW bikes at our local dealership, second hand bikes for sale as well as the ones in for service. It astounds me that the owners don't care about their windscreens. 95% are scratched to hell. It all comes from cleaning using the wrong cleaning products or technique, but mostly a don't care attitude.

Follow the cleaning instructions as written by CB and use their cleaning fluid. Never rub or try and "clean" the bugs off the surface as you would a car windscreen. Best method, lots of water and soak them off! This keeps your screen brand new. Stone chips are the only thing that you cannot avoid. Check out the Vstream from ZTechnik. A really good screen with a special coating!

Regards
Allen
post #3 of 14 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 12:15 pm

Jerry, don't give up on your dealer without trying first. Regardless of a recent post stating that BMW Motorrad won't warranty a windshield, not 2 days ago my dealer said he WOULD replace a fogged windshield if the bike was still under warranty. Of course, maybe he isn't aware of Motorrad's new policy ...

If your dealer will replace your shield, the replacement made-in-USA-by-National Cycle shield won't fog, and you'll have the advantage of continuing to ride behind a polycarbonate shield. Some of us won't ride behind an acrylic shield (e.g., Cee Bailey) because of the way acrylic shatters in an accident.

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
'86 Honda CH-250 scooter (original owner)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"

post #4 of 14 Old Aug 1st, 2006, 2:05 pm

Thumbs up Plastic Polish might be the answer

Jerry,

Have you thought of just restoring the plastic? JANVIL makes a plastic retorer/polish. Many people have used this and swear by it. My windshield has fogging, as well as some other scratches. I am going to purchase this stuff for my shield. For $10, it is a much better solution than a full replacement.

Dan

http://www.janvil.com/plastic_polish.htm
post #5 of 14 Old Aug 1st, 2006, 2:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_menton
Jerry, don't give up on your dealer without trying first. Regardless of a recent post stating that BMW Motorrad won't warranty a windshield, not 2 days ago my dealer said he WOULD replace a fogged windshield if the bike was still under warranty. Of course, maybe he isn't aware of Motorrad's new policy ...

If your dealer will replace your shield, the replacement made-in-USA-by-National Cycle shield won't fog, and you'll have the advantage of continuing to ride behind a polycarbonate shield. Some of us won't ride behind an acrylic shield (e.g., Cee Bailey) because of the way acrylic shatters in an accident.

- Bob
I also need a new windshield. Went to National Cycle and searched by make/model of bike and got a screen that says......they have nothing for the K1200LT.

you have a part number?
post #6 of 14 Old Aug 1st, 2006, 4:14 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Bob, I'll give him a try, but won't get my hopes up, I'm not too crazy about BMW's warranty, I'm pretty sure they make it up as they go???

Jerry
post #7 of 14 Old Aug 1st, 2006, 4:20 pm Thread Starter

Dan, that looks like it would work on a non coated shield, but this joner w/s has a film on either side of the polycarbonate. That is where my problem lies, within the film. So any money put into trying to revive this shield is wasted. Thanks anyway.

Jerry
post #8 of 14 Old Aug 1st, 2006, 6:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckelew
I also need a new windshield. Went to National Cycle and searched by make/model of bike and got a screen that says......they have nothing for the K1200LT.

you have a part number?
No, but you can get it easy enough - it's your friendly neighborhood BMW dealer's part number for a replacement windshield for the LT. It's an official BMW part - made in the USA by National Cycle for BMW, but not available from National Cycle - available from your friendly BMW bike dealer.

Kinda like trying to buy a BMW Navigator GPS from Garmin - it's made by Garmin, but you can only buy the box that sez "Navigator" from your BMW dealer, not from Garmin.

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton

Greenville SC USA
post #9 of 14 Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 10:54 pm

Hi Jerry,
IMHO I think, in the end, it might be better to bite the bullet and plan to replace the windshield on a regular basis. I'm not good about soaking the bugs of and all the correct maintainance procedures. It seems I wind up buying a new windshield every year or two. On my Wing, I purchased whindshields from "Tulsa". They were great but in a year or two the scratches would get on my nerves and I'de get a new one. I like the Cee Bailey #2 -2 with wings. *For me* it fits just right and I get the best combination of protection and visibility. I know some of the folks on the web-site don't like acrylic wind shields (e.g., Cee Bailey) and maybe with good reason. All I know is plastic windshields, whatever the maker, are not a durable item.
post #10 of 14 Old Aug 12th, 2006, 6:42 pm Thread Starter

Talking

Quote:

- Bob
Well Bob you were right, I did give my dealer, (Twin City BMW Motorcycles, Savoy, IL), a call, they ordered the new shield, scheduled appointment for today, 08/12/06, just got back a few hours ago & all is well, new windshield no cost & no hassle, very friendly people!

Jerry
post #11 of 14 Old Aug 12th, 2006, 10:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Buckman
Well Bob you were right, ...
Gotta show that to my wife. She thinks it's not possible ...

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton

Greenville SC USA
post #12 of 14 Old Aug 12th, 2006, 11:07 pm

Jerry,

I have a VStream, new, I will sell for 155 plus shipping. Its new in the box. Put it on the bike but did not like it's looks.

PM or call....408-857-1196

O. K. Upchurch III
Irvine, California

2016 R1200gs
2000 K1200LT (Best Bike #1)
1997 R1100RT (Best Bike #2)
1995 K1100LT
1990 K75RT
post #13 of 14 Old Aug 13th, 2006, 2:59 am Thread Starter

Thanks O.K., but I now have a new BMW windshield.

Jerry
post #14 of 14 Old Oct 10th, 2007, 4:39 pm

Quote:

- Bob
Amen Bob. I replaced three Cee Baileys shields before I bought the ZTechnik. Still not 100% what I need but much closer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in