High Beam HID Install - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old Feb 4th, 2015, 9:50 pm Thread Starter

High Beam HID Install

I've scanned the archives for information on installing a H3 HID bulb, but haven't found the answer to my dilemma. I'm using the DDM Tuning HID kit. I have filed the black plastic collar (picture #1 ) where it I can pass the bulb through it. However, if I install the bulb in this configuration, it is loose and the copper retainer does not secure the black bulb housing.

Looking at the stock bulb configuration, the bulb is secured between the black bulb housing and metal retainer. The bulb sits on top of the black bulb housing and the metal retainer secures the bulb in place. If I attempt this path, the ballast connectors and rubber grommet are too large to pass through the black bulb housing. I don't have much plastic remaining to file.

Anyone have experience installing the DDM Tuning H3 bulb?

Thanks,

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC #1.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	73377  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old Feb 4th, 2015, 10:27 pm

Re: High Beam HID Install

Are you sure you have the right kit? The main beam on my 2002LT is an H7 as I recall, not an H3. I haven't yet done the HID conversion, but I'm thinking an H7 HID conversion might be more appropriate.
post #3 of 28 Old Feb 4th, 2015, 11:14 pm Thread Starter

I'm installing the high beam (H3) HID kit. I installed the low beam (H7) bulb last Fall.

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL

post #4 of 28 Old Feb 4th, 2015, 11:56 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun Bobby View Post
I'm installing the high beam (H3) HID kit. I installed the low beam (H7) bulb last Fall.

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
I thought it was not advised to put an HID in the high beam because of the warm up time needed for the high beam and the possible wear and tear on the ballast.

1973 Yamaha 250 Enduro (crash and burn)
1982 Yamaha Virago 920 (sold)
Honda CB750 Custom (sold...good riddins!)
2003 K1200LT - Black (for sale)
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue Metallic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 28 Old Feb 5th, 2015, 3:11 am

Garage

Hey Rob not sure of what you are up to but the bulb should go straight in, they are correct fitment check the base of the old globe against the new hid, make sure you keep your fingers off the bulb.
Nick you are back to front the H7 is low beam.
Rdpas there is no "wear and tear" on the ballast other than normal usage but you are sort of right, there is a delay switching on, but our low beams are on all the time so you would hardly notice, the problem comes when you dip from high to low using hid if your low beam goes out when switching to high beam, you will have a small period of time with very low lighting until the low beam warms up.

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #6 of 28 Old Feb 5th, 2015, 6:43 am

Quote:
I've scanned the archives for information on installing a H3 HID bulb, but haven't found the answer to my dilemma. I'm using the DDM Tuning HID kit. I have filed the black plastic collar (picture #1 ) where it I can pass the bulb through it. However, if I install the bulb in this configuration, it is loose and the copper retainer does not secure the black bulb housing.

Looking at the stock bulb configuration, the bulb is secured between the black bulb housing and metal retainer. The bulb sits on top of the black bulb housing and the metal retainer secures the bulb in place. If I attempt this path, the ballast connectors and rubber grommet are too large to pass through the black bulb housing. I don't have much plastic remaining to file.

Thanks,

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
Rob,
The implementation of High beam bulb holder was not designed for an HID, but with some patience, a few bad words, you will get there ;-)

Fortunately for you, the K1200RS has the same H3 bulb holder and we have a few members on the K1200RS forum who did the same job.

See this PDF file attachment:
I-BMW.com

The PDF file came from this thread where you will find more ideas and pictures:
HID light installation, '02 K1200RS - I-BMW.com

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #7 of 28 Old Feb 5th, 2015, 6:49 am

Quote:

Thanks,

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
Rob here is what I did 10 years ago. Yes the bulb is loose in the black capsule retainer. I secured my HID bulb to the capsule with lineman's tape found at Home Depot. Just stretch and wrap the tape around the rubber of the bulb. Be sure to align the HID bulb in the capsule just like the stock bulb.
I carefully removed the grommet from the wires, cutting with a razor blade. I then filed a opening on the left side of the headlight plastic cover for the wires to fit into the headlight housing. Connect wires then Seal with RTV. HTH

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #8 of 28 Old Feb 7th, 2015, 2:36 pm Thread Starter

Sailor, thanks for attachment and advice about being patient. After careful filing of the H3 bulb bracket, I was able to insert the H3 HID bulb into the holder.

Now my next questions, there is a black and red wire for the HID bulb (pic A) while the stock H3 bulb only had a single white wire (pic B). Am I correct to assume the HID red wire should be connected to the stock white wire location? If my assumption is correct, then what is the HID black wire for and where would it be connected?

Thanks for the assistance,

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PIC A.JPG
Views:	321
ID:	73537   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC B.JPG
Views:	324
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	73545  
post #9 of 28 Old Feb 7th, 2015, 3:38 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Yes the white wire is positive connects to the red on the HID. The black wire then is the negative on the HID and the brown wires on your bike are negative. I have HID in both, but I cannot remember for sure how I hooked all this up.
I think I used piggyback spade connectors.
post #10 of 28 Old Feb 10th, 2015, 12:33 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray View Post
Yes the bulb is loose in the black capsule retainer. I secured my HID bulb to the capsule with lineman's tape found at Home Depot.
Murray,

The H3 bulb felt secure in the bulb's bracket (black capsule) when it wasn't in the headlight assemble, but I'm not so lucky. The bulb has some play in it now that it is installed. I did a search for linesman tape, but had zero hits. Is there another name for it?

Additionally, I'm still scratching my head concerning the ground. I initially thought I would use one of the ground locations (brown wires), but then I was concerned the ground location was for another sensor or junction. I ended up grounding it to the screw that secures the connector for the white hot wire. Does anyone see a problem with that ground location? I hope to put it back together in the next couple days, but this daily event called worked is getting in the way.

Thanks,

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	137
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	73729  
post #11 of 28 Old Feb 10th, 2015, 12:48 pm

Quote:
Murray,

The H3 bulb felt secure in the bulb's bracket (black capsule) when it wasn't in the headlight assemble, but I'm not so lucky. The bulb has some play in it now that it is installed. I did a search for linesman tape, but had zero hits. Is there another name for it?

Additionally, I'm still scratching my head concerning the ground. I initially thought I would use one of the ground locations (brown wires), but then I was concerned the ground location was for another sensor or junction. I ended up grounding it to the screw that secures the connector for the white hot wire. Does anyone see a problem with that ground location? I hope to put it back together in the next couple days, but this daily event called worked is getting in the way.

Thanks,

Rob, 2000LT

Navarre, FL
I would plug the wires into the stock bulb socket. Red to White Black to Brown.
Lineman's tape can be found at Home Depot in the electrical dept. The standard black electrical tape can allow electric leakage, lineman's tape will not leak. The tape streaches and contracts on the surface applied to.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #12 of 28 Old Feb 10th, 2015, 6:13 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

If you mean the screw in the photo, no that is not a ground. The only ground on a BMW is a brown wire. Not even the frame is a ground. The red circle shows the ground for the high beam.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	122
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	73737  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 28 Old Feb 10th, 2015, 6:37 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
The only ground on a BMW is a brown wire. Not even the frame is a ground. The red circle shows the ground for the high beam.
JZeiler,

When I removed the OEM bulb, there was no ground wire associated with it. Only the white wire in the photo. I originally considered the two brown wires for the HID ground, but did not know if one of them was the grounding point for the high beam bulb or some other important piece of equipment. Do you know which brown wire is the ground for the high beam? The top brown connector or the connector below it?

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
post #14 of 28 Old Feb 11th, 2015, 7:11 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
JZeiler,

When I removed the OEM bulb, there was no ground wire associated with it. Only the white wire in the photo. I originally considered the two brown wires for the HID ground, but did not know if one of them was the grounding point for the high beam bulb or some other important piece of equipment. Do you know which brown wire is the ground for the high beam? The top brown connector or the connector below it?

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
The high beam is grounded through the metal tab coming out of the bulb holder. If you look at John's picture you can see it. All the brown wires in the headlight fixture connect together. The easiest way to connect your HID bulb is to get a piggyback spade connector. I think I may have pictures of the way mine is done, I'm just not sure where they are stored and I don't have an account on a photo sharing service. If I can find them I could email them to you.
post #15 of 28 Old Feb 11th, 2015, 9:12 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff8stuff View Post
The high beam is grounded through the metal tab coming out of the bulb holder. If you look at John's picture you can see it. All the brown wires in the headlight fixture connect together. The easiest way to connect your HID bulb is to get a piggyback spade connector. I think I may have pictures of the way mine is done, I'm just not sure where they are stored and I don't have an account on a photo sharing service.
Buff8stuff,

Good info. I was unaware of a "piggyback" spade connector. That was a key piece of information I was looking for. I'll visit my local Radio Shack. Removing the OEM grounding metal tab as part of the HID bulb holder modification is the root of my confusion. Where does the HID ground connect with the metal tab from the OEM bulb holder removed? Sounds like a piggyback spade connector on either of the two grounding tabs will solve that mystery.

Thanks for help,

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
post #16 of 28 Old Feb 11th, 2015, 9:54 am
Lifetime Supporter

If your local Radio Shack still exists, and they don't have them let me know. I have a few extras, I'll mail you a couple.
post #17 of 28 Old Feb 11th, 2015, 10:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff8stuff View Post
If your local Radio Shack still exists, and they don't have them let me know. I have a few extras, I'll mail you a couple.
I got mine at NAPA or Autozone.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

post #18 of 28 Old Feb 12th, 2015, 1:31 pm Thread Starter

Buff8stuff, thanks for the offer of the piggyback spade connector. My local and independently owned Radio Shack had them in stock. I probably wasted an hour and much frustration before your suggestion.

The HID bulb is still not as secure as I would like in the bulb holder. I'm going to attempt to tighten the bulb with a rubber grommet. Hopefully I didn't file too much plastic from the holder. Fingers crossed.

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
post #19 of 28 Old Feb 12th, 2015, 2:44 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Buff8stuff, thanks for the offer of the piggyback spade connector. My local and independently owned Radio Shack had them in stock.

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
Just out of curiosity, do you know how the independent dealers are doing as far as support from the corp. I think all the outlets in Salt Lake are closing, some are becoming Sprint stores.

Glad my suggestion helped. I use so many piggyback connectors I ended up buying a bag of 100.
post #20 of 28 Old Feb 12th, 2015, 5:41 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I used silicone to hold my bulb in place. Somewhere on this site are pictures on how I grounded my two HID lights

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #21 of 28 Old Feb 12th, 2015, 9:05 pm

Quote:
Buff8stuff, thanks for the offer of the piggyback spade connector. My local and independently owned Radio Shack had them in stock. I probably wasted an hour and much frustration before your suggestion.

The HID bulb is still not as secure as I would like in the bulb holder. I'm going to attempt to tighten the bulb with a rubber grommet. Hopefully I didn't file too much plastic from the holder. Fingers crossed.

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
Rob , get some line tape as mentioned before. If you want more problems use the grommet's.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #22 of 28 Old Feb 13th, 2015, 1:10 pm

Quote:
Rob , get some line tape as mentioned before. If you want more problems use the grommet's.
Murray I can not find the line tape you are talking about you sure you are not talking about the Linerless Rubber Splicing Tape at Home Depo
Store SKU# 218666

Gary
2003 K1200LT
post #23 of 28 Old Feb 13th, 2015, 2:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryEm View Post
Murray I can not find the line tape you are talking about you sure you are not talking about the Linerless Rubber Splicing Tape at Home Depo
Store SKU# 218666
Sorry Gary, yes that is the tape. The tape has a honeycomb felt removal lining. Stretch the tape and apply to bulb to secure. Try to match the bulb focal points.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #24 of 28 Old Feb 13th, 2015, 4:35 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Rob , get some line tape as mentioned before.
Murray, I went to Home Depot, Ace Hardware, and a specialty electrical supply business. Not a one had heard of "Lineman's tape". It appears Gary has cracked the code on Lineman's tape. Now I'm off to Lowes. This mod is taking a lot more time than I originally thought it would.

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
post #25 of 28 Old Feb 15th, 2015, 10:31 am Thread Starter

I have success with the H3 HID modification...at least at idle. It was an electrical learning experience. One final question before I reinstall the Tupperware. Does it matter which clock position the bulb is set at in the bulb holder? Using the metal rod along the glass bulb as a reference (picture), should the rod be installed with it pointing to the 12, 3, 6, or 9 o'clock position? Does it matter for light pattern? I'd appreciate if someone that has done the high beam mod could take a peak through their headlight glass and tell be which clock position the rod is facing.

Thanks,

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	H3 Bulb.JPG
Views:	99
ID:	74049   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lights.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	74057  
post #26 of 28 Old Feb 15th, 2015, 2:09 pm

Rob I would put it at 6 o'clock . I say this because my PHID 4'S are set this way. Most likely does not matter. The placement of the HID capsule should be similar to the halogen focal point.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #27 of 28 Old Feb 17th, 2015, 9:58 pm Thread Starter

I just finished ops checking the high beam install and it was partially successful test. The H3 bulb is working, but the beam is angled up a few degrees and not throwing the light down the road. However, it's perfect if you're looking for critters in low hanging tree branches. This mod has been a challenge in terms of getting the HID bulb secured in the bulb holder and then adjusting the bulb filament placement without disturbing the security of the bulb in the holder. If there was a modified bulb holder on the market that would secure the H3 bulb while properly aligning it, the high beam modification would be as straight forward as the low beam mod. Based on my experience, I would caution the average Joe from attempting the modification. However, your results may vary.

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
post #28 of 28 Old Mar 31st, 2015, 9:31 pm Thread Starter

If at first you don't succeed, try again. In my case, try a third time. The DDM Tuning H3 install is successfully completed thanks to photos, guidance, and parts from Buff8stuff. I am extremely happy with the light throw of the DDM HID High beam. Additionally, I can now remove the left and right upper Tupperware along with the nose cone in 45 minutes.

The majority of my issue centered around the modification of the bulb holder.

Attempt #1 : I filed too much of the bulb holder center and also mistakenly filed the tab which is used secure the bulb holder into the headlight assembly. (New bulb holder ordered, 1 week delay)

Attempt #2 : I was concerned that cutting the bulb holder in order to route the H3 wires would impact the integrity of the bulb holder, so I cut the wires to the bulb. Bad move, the wires are high voltage and soldering them impacted the HID from igniting. (New H3 bulb ordered, 2 week delay)

Attempt #3 : I cut the bulb holder to route the bulb wires. The integrity of the bulb holder was maintained with the metal cap installed. Everything reinstalled perfectly. Mission complete.

What should have been a two hour job ended up taking nearly a month because of stupid mistakes. At least I learned something, and I'm happy with the end result. Some photos are attached.

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bulb Holder.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	77281   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipped H3 Wires.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	77289   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cut Bulb Holder.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	77297   Click image for larger version

Name:	Keven Grounding.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	77305   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ballast Locations.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	1.86 MB
ID:	77313  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in