Attaching mirrors with magnets - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 65 Old Feb 2nd, 2015, 6:36 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Attaching mirrors with magnets

I have read a couple threads of folks attaching the rear view mirrors with magnets from Lowes. Anyone have pictures of how this was done and maybe some specs on the magnets used? I'm not having luck finding details.

The front clip plastic is broke on my mirrors and I have tried using epoxy to fix it without luck. Would like to find a better way to do and really like the magnet idea. I do have tethers on the mirrors. Went with 30# fishing leaders.

1973 Yamaha 250 Enduro (crash and burn)
1982 Yamaha Virago 920 (sold)
Honda CB750 Custom (sold...good riddins!)
2003 K1200LT - Black (for sale)
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue Metallic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 Old Feb 2nd, 2015, 6:51 pm

Re: Attaching mirrors with magnets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdepas View Post
I have read a couple threads of folks attaching the rear view mirrors with magnets from Lowes. Anyone have pictures of how this was done and maybe some specs on the magnets used? I'm not having luck finding details.

The front clip plastic is broke on my mirrors and I have tried using epoxy to fix it without luck. Would like to find a better way to do and really like the magnet idea. I do have tethers on the mirrors. Went with 30# fishing leaders.
Rich, I too tried the epoxy route. No workee. I ended sewing it up with fine stainless steel wire, works great.

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 65 Old Feb 2nd, 2015, 7:02 pm

I also used stainless wire and epoxy to reform the clip mount. Yours may be too far gone to do that. Keep searching the magnet route, if needed. I recall others using rare earth magnets for this.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

post #4 of 65 Old Feb 2nd, 2015, 7:10 pm
Lifetime Supporter

My broken tabs are held with zip ties. Has worked well for six years or so. Sadly, I look at the inside of my 1150RT mirrors and think how sturdy they are and how well they function. If only they would fit on the LT.......

post #5 of 65 Old Feb 2nd, 2015, 7:23 pm

Check this thread for mirror magnets, although on a different model bike.
post #6 of 65 Old Feb 2nd, 2015, 7:51 pm

Garage

I have used those magnets before and they are super strong. I may have to give this a try myself.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

1997 R1100RT
2000 K1200LT Sold

post #7 of 65 Old Feb 2nd, 2015, 7:53 pm

Dicks thanks for finding that Info I am going that route myself

Gary
2003 K1200LT
post #8 of 65 Old Feb 2nd, 2015, 8:40 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick View Post
Thanks Dick. This is the type of info I am looking for. Know others have done it for the LT. Was hoping to find similar pictures and documentation for them so I wouldn't need to trial and error it.

Wow - those magnets used in that project have 31# of pull. That is over 90# of pull on that mirror with all three studs replaced. Can't imagine there is any issue with that coming off on accident.

The toughest part on the LT would be attaching the steel washer or magnet to the mirror in place of the goofy paperclip. Assuming we would need to back that area with something solid.

post #9 of 65 Old Feb 2nd, 2015, 10:17 pm

I just bridge the gap between the fairing and mirror with a long strip of 1" black electric tape. It really doesn't show. Could be hard on pedestrians though...
post #10 of 65 Old Feb 2nd, 2015, 10:24 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel_petersen View Post
I just bridge the gap between the fairing and mirror with a long strip of 1" black electric tape. It really doesn't show. Could be hard on pedestrians though...
I'm missing how this relates to attaching the mirrors with magnets.

post #11 of 65 Old Feb 2nd, 2015, 10:56 pm

Quote:
I'm missing how this relates to attaching the mirrors with magnets.
It is just another positive way to retain the mirrors. I did have to epoxy & reinforce one of the snap-on retainers, and I have installed fishing leader retainers, but the idea of having them come off at speed probably means there would be a lot of minor dents to fix. Hence the tape kludge.

I hadn't considered high strength magnets, but I have been saving them from old dead computer hard drives as a matter of principle. They are plenty strong.

Now I've found a use!

THX
rhawk likes this.
post #12 of 65 Old Feb 2nd, 2015, 11:01 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
I hadn't considered high strength magnets, but I have been saving them from old dead computer hard drives as a matter of principle. They are plenty strong.
Good luck trying to drill a hole in those hard drive magnets. I tried that and the magnets just cracked.

I am interested to hear about the type from Lowes that some folks used. If I have to, I'll order the ones pointed to in Dick's post. I didn't check on shipping, but $4/each isn't bad.

post #13 of 65 Old Feb 3rd, 2015, 7:29 am

I'm surprised the innovative engineers at BMW didn't think of magnets much less the ties to keep them from falling and hitting the ground. Oh that's right then they couldn't sell you new overpriced mirror pods, I get it !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick View Post
post #14 of 65 Old Feb 3rd, 2015, 9:59 am

Quote:
Good luck trying to drill a hole in those hard drive magnets. I tried that and the magnets just cracked.
The ones I've encountered have all had an attached steel (iron) plate that would drill normally. The hard drive pole arrangements I've encountered all require a healthy screwdriver pry to get separated. They actually just might hold too well in our mirror case though.
post #15 of 65 Old Feb 3rd, 2015, 10:11 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
The ones I've encountered have all had an attached steel (iron) plate that would drill normally. The hard drive pole arrangements I've encountered all require a healthy screwdriver pry to get separated. They actually just might hold too well in our mirror case though.
Those are some super strong magnets. You may be right about having too much pulling power.

I found some 30# pull magnets with the hole drilled in them on Amazon. Think I will give them a try and see what I can come up with.
stevea2980 likes this.

post #16 of 65 Old Feb 3rd, 2015, 2:58 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I'll see if I can find the photos but several LT owners in the early days had used 1/4 - 20 plastic bolts and drilled a hole in the mirror and threaded the faring hole. These are commonly used to hold wings on model airplanes and are readily available at hobby shops. They will break away on impact but will keep the mirrors on during rough road riding.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #17 of 65 Old Feb 3rd, 2015, 3:03 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
I'll see if I can find the photos but several LT owners in the early days had used 1/4 - 20 plastic bolts and drilled a hole in the mirror and threaded the faring hole. These are commonly used to hold wings on model airplanes and are readily available at hobby shops. They will break away on impact but will keep the mirrors on during rough road riding.
I did see your posts about the plastic screws as well. I like the magnet idea that if it breaks away, it can just be put back on. With the plastic screws a person would have to carry extras (not a big deal), dig out the old piece from the threaded hole, and then install the new one. I just thought the magnets would be easier once they were setup.

post #18 of 65 Old Feb 3rd, 2015, 3:31 pm

Attaching mirrors with magnets-hdd_magnets.jpg

One can use HDD magnets. They are very strong and inexpensive , found in old or defective hard disk drives units. Already attached on a metal plate with holes.

1999 K1200LT
1988 K100RT ( sold )
E31 850i
E32 730i ( sold )
E32 735i
E32 750iL
E34 520i ( gone )
post #19 of 65 Old Feb 3rd, 2015, 3:35 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquachrono View Post
Attachment 73290

One can use HDD magnets. They are very strong and inexpensive , found in old or defective hard disk drives units. Already attached on a metal plate with holes.
I've taken apart many hard drives. I'm looking for a nicer install like the one that Dick linked to. Hard drive magnets are VERY strong. I can't imagine trying to remove the mirror with them. Maybe if you only used two and the steel surface area they are holding to isn't too large it may be possible.

Ordered up some on Amazon and may play with it this weekend. Have a feeling I'll be pulling off some tuperware to get to my TPS.

post #20 of 65 Old Feb 3rd, 2015, 3:39 pm

Wow, this is a great idea. I'm only a few more take offs and put ons from having to do something else. I have mine zip tied to get some additional strength out of the plastic receivers. I thought about buying the Chinese knockoff mirrors but this is way more cost effective.

If you wind up doing this post up some pics and suggestions for mounting the magnets..

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #21 of 65 Old Feb 3rd, 2015, 3:41 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackd View Post
Wow, this is a great idea. I'm only a few more take offs and put ons from having to do something else. I have mine zip tied to get some additional strength out of the plastic receivers. I thought about buying the Chinese knockoff mirrors but this is way more cost effective.

If you wind up doing this post up some pics and suggestions for mounting the magnets..
I definitely will.

post #22 of 65 Old Feb 3rd, 2015, 5:36 pm

Quote:
I definitely will.
Keep us posted I would like to know how you are going to screw the magnetics where clips were

Gary
2003 K1200LT
post #23 of 65 Old Feb 3rd, 2015, 6:33 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryEm View Post
Keep us posted I would like to know how you are going to screw the magnetics where clips were
My initial thoughts are the magnets would be on bike side where the posts are. Remove the posts and put a flat head machine screw through the magnet into the hole where the post was. The mirror side would have the steel washers attached. Thinking I can put an aluminum or steel backing piece on the other side of the clip. That way it really wouldn't even be destructive to move to magnets.

Of course, all this is just an idea. I'll have to sit down with parts in hand and take a much closer look.

post #24 of 65 Old Feb 4th, 2015, 8:31 am

Quote:
Hence the tape kludge.
"kludge" .............I like it!

Rand & Susan Hawksworth
2000 K1200LT
post #25 of 65 Old Feb 4th, 2015, 7:12 pm
Lifetime Supporter

About 8 years ago I bought magnets from Lowes .They were about 1/2 inch dia. I then epoxied 1 over the front clip then I stacked up mag. to get the correct height. I have never had a problem since that time. The other side sits on metal on the faring. They come 5 or 6 to a package. Jim
post #26 of 65 Old Feb 4th, 2015, 7:39 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jriverside View Post
About 8 years ago I bought magnets from Lowes .They were about 1/2 inch dia. I then epoxied 1 over the front clip then I stacked up mag. to get the correct height. I have never had a problem since that time. The other side sits on metal on the faring. They come 5 or 6 to a package. Jim
I probably went overkill with the 1" magnets I bought. They have 30# of pulling force. If I find the are too strong, I can always get a smaller size. At least it is great to hear from someone that has done it and it worked out long term.

Do you have any pictures you can share?

post #27 of 65 Old Feb 4th, 2015, 7:42 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Sorry I never took any and the bike is at the shop right now. Jim
post #28 of 65 Old Feb 4th, 2015, 10:09 pm

Few thoughts on magnets:
Don't try to drill a hole in the magnet itself. Almost all strong magnets are very brittle, both in the material, and if you think about the forces at work, they kinda want to rip themselves apart anyway.

Hard disk magnets are amazing. And will bite your fingers if given a chance.

Magnetic fields fall off DRASTICALLY with a very small gap. If a magnet is too strong, a thin sheet of plastic over it will put enough gap to reduce its strength measurably, a little thicker sheet may make it too weak.

If you haven't tried it, try the Devcon Plastic Weld epoxy. It's wickedly strong, sticks to almost anything, and just a little flexibility that keeps it from shattering. My best story with the stuff is a number of years ago, my convertible's rear window (glass) separated from the rear curtain (plasticized canvas). Not being quite ready to drop $$$ in a new top, and the rest of the top being "ok", I tried this glue...it held the window to the curtain for at least two more years before I replaced the top for OTHER reasons...in the sun, and put up and down frequently. Use out doors, stinks horribly while curing (but no problem after cured)
post #29 of 65 Old Feb 4th, 2015, 10:14 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickHolland View Post
Few thoughts on magnets:
Don't try to drill a hole in the magnet itself. Almost all strong magnets are very brittle, both in the material, and if you think about the forces at work, they kinda want to rip themselves apart anyway.
I've learned that lesson personally. I decided to try the Master Magnetics NMLKIT5X2.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	magnets.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	73385  

post #30 of 65 Old Feb 5th, 2015, 6:40 am

Quote:
I've learned that lesson personally. I decided to try the Master Magnetics NMLKIT5X2.
Mr. DePas, you are developing one magnetic personality. Good luck with the mirrors and pictures please.
post #31 of 65 Old Feb 5th, 2015, 10:24 am

I am following this thread with great interest since the front clip plastic retainer broke on one of my mirrors. My previous repair with JB Weld held until I removed the mirror for this winter's maintenance when it broke again. I strengthened it this time by drilling a hole, installing a zip tie, wedging a piece of composite shim under the zip tie to cover the metal clip, and JB welding the shim to the plastic to secure it. The clip is retrained but free to move. I haven't re-assembled yet and hope it fits and holds but if not maybe magnets are in my future too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Broken Clip Retainer.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	982.0 KB
ID:	73401   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ground old JB Weld to retain zip tie.JPG
Views:	493
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	73409   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zip Tie Installed.JPG
Views:	370
Size:	1.90 MB
ID:	73417   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clip covered with Composite Shim.JPG
Views:	347
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	73425   Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished Repair.jpg
Views:	723
Size:	821.3 KB
ID:	73433  

Jim
2003 BMW K1200LT (my favorite 2 wheeled land yacht)
2008 Yamaha FJR1300 (recent addition)
1982 Yamaha Vision (long gone)
post #32 of 65 Old Feb 5th, 2015, 11:31 am

Hi everyone, Has anyone tried plastic welding? Just a thought!
post #33 of 65 Old Feb 5th, 2015, 1:00 pm

The only thing that will hold ABS plastic is ABS cement found at your local hardware or plumbing store.

Eric von Laue

3Cyl Kawa ( a long time ago)
450 Yamaha Seca ( maybe it was a Maxim )
1100 Honda Magna
650 Honda XR ( to Guatemala and back)
1990 Honda PC800 ( Mountain Mama )
2000 BMW 1200LT ( Maxamillion )

Keep the rubber side down
post #34 of 65 Old Feb 5th, 2015, 1:53 pm

For Christmas, Santa was very generous and i got an Eastwood Hot Stapler and I think this is the best way to fix ABS. There isn't enough surface area for glue or epoxy to work effectively. I have done some test fixes with it on my destroyed rocker panel and the repair is at least as strong as the plastic was before it was broken. I'm currently planning to do a number of pre-emptive fixes on pieces of fragile plastic bits that haven't broken yet, along with several things that are actually broken (like the mirror tabs).

Of course in order for this to work there needs to be enough plastic to connect to so depending on how far gone the piece is it may not work.

-Steve

2000 BMW K1200LT
2000 BMW R1200C
post #35 of 65 Old Feb 5th, 2015, 2:03 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperstatetour View Post
For Christmas, Santa was very generous and i got an Eastwood Hot Stapler and I think this is the best way to fix ABS. There isn't enough surface area for glue or epoxy to work effectively. I have done some test fixes with it on my destroyed rocker panel and the repair is at least as strong as the plastic was before it was broken. I'm currently planning to do a number of pre-emptive fixes on pieces of fragile plastic bits that haven't broken yet, along with several things that are actually broken (like the mirror tabs).

Of course in order for this to work there needs to be enough plastic to connect to so depending on how far gone the piece is it may not work.
Interesting...so the unit actually heats up the staple and then you push it into the plastic piece.

My end goal is to get rid of the post to string clip mounting system though - not just looking to repair what has broke.

Anyone have a good procedure for taking the mirror apart so we can get to the back of the clip area? I read on one post about using a small nylon strap slipped behind the mirror and applying force at an angle. I would like to know just where to place the strap and at what angle. don't want to break the mirror glass trying to remove it.

post #36 of 65 Old Feb 5th, 2015, 3:53 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Here it the Muth Mirror manual for installation. It shows a method to remove the stock glass.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Muth Mirrors.pdf (978.1 KB, 131 views)
gdenton likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #37 of 65 Old Feb 5th, 2015, 4:01 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
Here it the Muth Mirror manual for installation. It shows a method to remove the stock glass.
Thanks John. I wish they would have shown the back of the factory mirror so I had a clue what they are popping off. It makes me very nervous to pry on the mirror like that.

post #38 of 65 Old Feb 5th, 2015, 5:42 pm

Quote:
Not to sound dumb, but is Master Magnetics a company or is it a type of Magnet?

Marty Blok

99 LT
post #39 of 65 Old Feb 5th, 2015, 5:52 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyBlok View Post
It's a company. I've never bought from them, i usually buy from K&J or off Amazon.
post #40 of 65 Old Feb 5th, 2015, 5:54 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyBlok View Post
I purchased through Amazon. I am assuming that is the manufacturer or packager or something like that. If you do a search on them, I believe Amazon will be the first hit.

post #41 of 65 Old Feb 5th, 2015, 6:53 pm

Quote:
I purchased through Amazon. I am assuming that is the manufacturer or packager or something like that. If you do a search on them, I believe Amazon will be the first hit.
I am still waiting for some pictures to see how you do it so I know what I can do with mine when it comes time I have a feeling I have one or two more times off thats about it

Gary
2003 K1200LT
post #42 of 65 Old Feb 5th, 2015, 7:38 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryEm View Post
I am still waiting for some pictures to see how you do it so I know what I can do with mine when it comes time I have a feeling I have one or two more times off thats about it
Magnets arrived today. Not sure if I will get to it this weekend or not.

post #43 of 65 Old Feb 6th, 2015, 6:09 am

Many years ago I attached Aux-lighting to my mirrors and secured the mirrors with a 1/4-20 nylon bolt. You could use this same method for your repair. I know the magnets are very strong but they do not prevent the hardware from sliding/moving around.
Below is a link with detailed information of installing the lights and securing the mirrors.
http://eagle-i.us/aux-lighting/

Best Regards,

Don Muddiman
Eagle Innovations

Keep'em Humming,

Don

Eagle Innovations
K1200LT Armrests

post #44 of 65 Old Feb 6th, 2015, 8:54 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Thanks Don for posting that.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #45 of 65 Old Feb 6th, 2015, 9:56 am
Lifetime Supporter

An Oldie, but Goodie . . .
Still secure after 5 years!

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...-assembly.html

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #46 of 65 Old Feb 6th, 2015, 10:54 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudman View Post
Many years ago I attached Aux-lighting to my mirrors and secured the mirrors with a 1/4-20 nylon bolt. You could use this same method for your repair. I know the magnets are very strong but they do not prevent the hardware from sliding/moving around.
Below is a link with detailed information of installing the lights and securing the mirrors.
http://eagle-i.us/aux-lighting/

Best Regards,

Don Muddiman
Eagle Innovations
Thanks for the suggestion Don. That is similar idea to what John had earlier but my point is to eliminate the need for the post and spring mounting all together, not just looking for a way to make it more secure.

The magnets I have are 30# pull each and looking to replace all three of the posts with them so that will give me a 90# pull force. I doubt they will move around easily. I also have the mirrors tethered just in case.

post #47 of 65 Old Feb 6th, 2015, 3:04 pm

Quote:
...I also have the mirrors tethered just in case.
FWIW, I think the fishing tethers are insufficient for the task, my dad has them on his LT, pulling into the garage one evening he knocked the mirror loose by running into some stuff he had stacked up where it shouldn't be, the fishing lead just broke letting the mirror fall all the way to the ground like it wasn't even there. Maybe that fishing lead was defective but maybe it's just not up to the task - I have reverted to a zip tie. One of these days I'll get around to ordering a set of proper tethers but for now I just don't trust the fishing leads.

Anyway, this advice is worth what you paid, take it or leave it, but like I always say: if you don't already have an opinion of your own then mine is better

-Steve

2000 BMW K1200LT
2000 BMW R1200C
post #48 of 65 Old Feb 6th, 2015, 9:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperstatetour View Post
- I have reverted to a zip tie. One of these days I'll get around to ordering a set of proper tethers but for now I just don't trust the fishing leads.
You need to pay attention to the force rating used on the fishing leader. I have used 60# leaders from WallyWorld and they have been tested many times over the last 10+ years and have never broke.

The problem with the zip tie is UV and tensile strength, unless you used one that was 1/2 inch wide.

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #49 of 65 Old Feb 7th, 2015, 7:39 am

Quote:
You need to pay attention to the force rating used on the fishing leader. I have used 60# leaders from WallyWorld and they have been tested many times over the last 10+ years and have never broke.

The problem with the zip tie is UV and tensile strength, unless you used one that was 1/2 inch wide.
I have just the average zips and had one mirror come off and it held the zips are pretty darn tough and as far UV part mine are replaced once a year because I take the mirrors off for maintenance replaced with new zips

Gary
2003 K1200LT
post #50 of 65 Old Feb 7th, 2015, 4:03 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Decided to test out the 30# leader i used...glad I did. A good tug on the mirror and it snapped. Definitely need something like the 60# leaders you use. I'll source something else.

As for the magnets - first attempt with the magnets I listed above was a fail. They are too large of diameter to fit without a lot of modification and even if I could get them to fit that way, they are too thick.

As I see it, they need to be 7/8" or less in diameter (ideally about 3/4"). As for thickness, as I measure it, I have about 5mm to work with unless I modify the mirror a bit by the spring clips. I will definitely need to cut away the plastic around the mounting holes for the posts on the bike side to expose the steel mounting plate. That will give me the 5mm. I am thinking about shaving off the raised portion on the mirror side that helps center the posts into the springs. That will give me close to another millimeter.

If I can get 6mm (since I don't want to increase my gap), I may be able to use these magnets found on Amazon. CMS Magnetics® Neodymium Round Base Magnet w/ Countersunk Hole for #8 Screw - 23 LBS PULL 0.79" in Dia.

As a bonus, I did successfully pop off the mirror from the first assembly so I could get to the screws holding the spring base on the mirror assembly. Let's hope I am equally successful when it comes time to do the second one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in