Front Pad Change - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jul 30th, 2006, 5:44 pm Thread Starter

Front Pad Change

I have been searching for instructions for changing the front pads. I can only find out how to change the rear ones, is the process the same?
Regards
Terry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jul 30th, 2006, 5:56 pm

Terry,
Need to remove the calipers and re-torque per BMW specs. The critical thing to remember is to take an extra 2 minutes and duct tape your wheel so that when you remove the calipers, you don't scratch the wheel paint.
post #3 of 5 Old Jul 30th, 2006, 6:57 pm

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderland
Terry,
Need to remove the calipers and re-torque per BMW specs. The critical thing to remember is to take an extra 2 minutes and duct tape your wheel so that when you remove the calipers, you don't scratch the wheel paint.
Actually, if you have the newer integrated brakes (the caliper will have BMW on it rather than the BREMBO our older ones have) I understand they can be removed while the caliper remains in place. They will come out the top of the caliper after some pins have been removed, much like the rear ones do.

Have never changed any of the new ones yet, but many of the older ones. And the instructions given in the previous thread about removing the calipers and being careful not to scratch your rim are good ones.

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old Jul 30th, 2006, 8:01 pm

Yep, pull the pin an pop them out... HOWEVER, you will need to push the caliper pistons back in order to put the new (thicker) pads in. Of course BMW has a specical tool for this, but I suggest you carefully insert a large flat piece of metal, like a screwdriver, and pry them back. If no success, then remove the calipers and use a C-clamp or ? YMMV.

BTW, at my 24k I had worn about .017" off of my front pads, so I did not replace them just took 'em out, inspected them and put 'em back in. My back pads were somewhat glazed so I replaced them even though they were only about 1/3 worn.

Good luck!

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death
post #5 of 5 Old Jul 30th, 2006, 8:09 pm
was

I just did mine this past week for the first time. Long story: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12055

Short story: Even on a 1999 with Brembo brakes it is possible to remove the pads without removing the calipers, but it is not recommended procedure and I have never heard of anyone doing it in the way that I described in my post. Also, the retaining pin with the slotted head that looks like a screw is not a screw. 2+ hours for me to figure that one out. The new brakes are 100% superior to the old ones; stop on a dime with very little pressure on the lever.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in