I've owned them both LT and GW - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Jul 30th, 2006, 4:15 pm Thread Starter

I've owned them both LT and GW

OK so I check-in and see Joe has started some shit about Gold Wings and LTs. Iíve owned both and can tell you both are great bikes; each have some special qualities and shortcomings. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I like the way an LT looks. I like the way it handles and the way I feel when I ride it. Life has been good to me and Iíve been lucky enough to own several great bikes. None of them has been the perfect machine. I think itís something like cars or houses or anything else that is a source of self expression. I just like what the LT says about me just like Harley riders like whatever their bike says about them.

From a practical point of view, I can only say there is nothing very practical about a motor cycle in the first place. Very few of us use a bike as our main source of transportation (and to those who do, I apologize). Riding a bike is an emotional and somewhat risky experience. We do it for fun and excitement. Even touring is a lot more comfortable in a car then the best touring bike. In the end, itís about style and excitement and the sense of freedom a bike offers. For me, I like the LT. It has a certain exotic quality not found in Gold Wings. Based on the difference in sales, more people like Gold Wings, and that's just fine with me. I like being different.

Bob Smith
Greensboro, NC
í05 Dark Graphite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Jul 30th, 2006, 5:11 pm

I simply asked a question...that's all.
post #3 of 16 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 6:58 pm

I 50% agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith
OK so I check-in and see Joe has started some shit about Gold Wings and LTs. Iíve owned both and can tell you both are great bikes; each have some special qualities and shortcomings. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I like the way an LT looks. I like the way it handles and the way I feel when I ride it. Life has been good to me and Iíve been lucky enough to own several great bikes. None of them has been the perfect machine. I think itís something like cars or houses or anything else that is a source of self expression. I just like what the LT says about me just like Harley riders like whatever their bike says about them.

From a practical point of view, I can only say there is nothing very practical about a motor cycle in the first place. Very few of us use a bike as our main source of transportation (and to those who do, I apologize). Riding a bike is an emotional and somewhat risky experience. We do it for fun and excitement. Even touring is a lot more comfortable in a car then the best touring bike. In the end, itís about style and excitement and the sense of freedom a bike offers. For me, I like the LT. It has a certain exotic quality not found in Gold Wings. Based on the difference in sales, more people like Gold Wings, and that's just fine with me. I like being different.

Bob Smith
Greensboro, NC
í05 Dark Graphite
Hi Bob,

I 50% agree with you. Both are great bikes. But touring is better in a car? Neither my wife nor I would agree with that. Cooler in hot weather, definitely. But if the weather isn't too hot (over 85) or too cold (under 35) then we would pick the motorcycle almost all the time.

What do I ride? Based on the website I know what people would think. But I currently ride a 2000 SE GoldWing but my next bike will be a BMW LT. Why the change? Why not? I've had three GoldWings and change is fun. They are both very good motorcycles as far as motorcycles go. They definitely have more maintenance than a car which I still am VERY unhappy with. And the extremely lame excuse of it being a motorcycle is not a good excuse. It's just a lame excuse. I'd love to see BWM or Honda car people be put in charge of lowering the maintenance for each.

post #4 of 16 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 9:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith
OK so I check-in and see Joe has started some shit about Gold Wings and LTs.
Yup! That's what Joe does!!! Bless him for that!!!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 Old Aug 1st, 2006, 7:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlsonBW
Hi Bob,

I 50% agree with you. Both are great bikes. But touring is better in a car? Neither my wife nor I would agree with that. Cooler in hot weather, definitely. But if the weather isn't too hot (over 85) or too cold (under 35) then we would pick the motorcycle almost all the time.

What do I ride? Based on the website I know what people would think. But I currently ride a 2000 SE GoldWing but my next bike will be a BMW LT. Why the change? Why not? I've had three GoldWings and change is fun. They are both very good motorcycles as far as motorcycles go. They definitely have more maintenance than a car which I still am VERY unhappy with. And the extremely lame excuse of it being a motorcycle is not a good excuse. It's just a lame excuse. I'd love to see BWM or Honda car people be put in charge of lowering the maintenance for each.
Ditto on this one as I would much rather tour on my bike then in a cage. My wife loves to ride and I like the fact that I can "experience" the surroundings rather then just look at it though a car window. I fully agree that the Goldwing and LT are both great bikes. I would like to see some of the goldwing features on the LT (like the headlights and push button reverse) and I know there are wing riders that like some of the LT features. I also have been blessed to purchase the LT. By the way have you seen the Gieco motorcycle commercial where they slowly pan over the LT....Very cool
post #6 of 16 Old Aug 1st, 2006, 8:35 am

It was More comfortable - not better

Hey guys,

Give the man a break. He said touring in a car is more comfortable - NOT better! If any of us thought it was better, we wouldn't be reading this list.

The Navigator and I LOVE touring on the bike. And would do it on another one if the LT wasn't available. We hate touring by car. But is the bike more comfortable?? Not a chance.

So: who cares? It isn't about comfort, sports fans!

Don

Don Hutchins
Kingston, WA
'03 K12LT "Stealth Starship Helga II"
K 12 Light Trucker since 1999
post #7 of 16 Old Aug 1st, 2006, 1:07 pm

I confess - I don't own a BMW. Corider wants a 330i. I want an RT or so I think.

We rode the LT in 2000 and had a very heated debate in the BMW showroom.

The Corider says GoldWing so we bought a 2000 SE. I readily admit that it does not handle like the LT, but we both have enjoyed it for over 6 years. The key word here is "Both". Remember, Corider is also the lady I have lived with for over 34 years and she is also the household finance minister.

So what is a guy to do. I also have an 1985 GoldWing LTD purchased new by my Dad. Yeah, it is a GoldWing, but a Wing not like many others out there.

Well last year I went and bought a poor mans BMW Sport Tourer - A Kawasaki Concours - Used. It was my mid life crisis and I pleaded with my wife that I had to have a faster and lighter motorcycle or chase younger women. She allowed the motorcycle.

Ride safe folks - no matter what the marque!
post #8 of 16 Old Aug 1st, 2006, 4:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBHutchins
Give the man a break. He said touring in a car is more comfortable - NOT better!
But...I disagree with this point as well. I can drive a cage about 700-750 miles a day maximum, and then I am DONE! Finished! I've ridden the LT 1,100 miles one day across Montana, and the next day I continued on and was in Seattle at 5:00pm. That trip wouldn't have happened in a cage. No way Jose! So the bike, IMHO, wins both in the "better" and "more comfortable" categories.

And no, I am not a member of the IBA.
post #9 of 16 Old Aug 1st, 2006, 7:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
I've ridden the LT 1,100 miles one day across Montana...
Joe, I have absolutely no doubt you did the 1100 miles in one day however...across Montana? I know it's a large state but I can only come up with 6, maybe 650 across it on I90.

Ride On!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Goodyear, AZ
"Yeah but its a warm heat!"

'13 SILVA K1600GTL
post #10 of 16 Old Aug 1st, 2006, 7:08 pm

Quote:
But...I disagree with this point as well. I can drive a cage about 700-750 miles a day maximum, and then I am DONE! Finished! I've ridden the LT 1,100 miles one day across Montana, and the next day I continued on and was in Seattle at 5:00pm. That trip wouldn't have happened in a cage. No way Jose! So the bike, IMHO, wins both in the "better" and "more comfortable" categories.

And no, I am not a member of the IBA.
Joe, what color is the sky in your world?

Bruce Hodges
post #11 of 16 Old Aug 1st, 2006, 8:23 pm

Smile Details!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerider
Joe, I have absolutely no doubt you did the 1100 miles in one day however...across Montana? I know it's a large state but I can only come up with 6, maybe 650 across it on I90.
Yikes! Are we getting picky, or what? The day started far EAST of Montana, somewhere in MN, then through parts of SD, then ND, then ended about 100 miles west of Billings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce2000ltc
Joe, what color is the sky in your world?
It used to be 'Pacific Blue' . . . but now it's definitely 'Deep Blue Metallic'!
post #12 of 16 Old Aug 1st, 2006, 10:34 pm

Quote:
It used to be 'Pacific Blue' . . . but now it's definitely 'Deep Blue Metallic'!
Good answer!
post #13 of 16 Old Aug 1st, 2006, 10:38 pm

Quote:

What, no Marvelous Mauve or Fabulous Fuschia???

F
post #14 of 16 Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 1:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian
What, no Marvelous Mauve or Fabulous Fuschia???

F
I'm not man-enough to ride a Mauve bike. Yea...that's it!
post #15 of 16 Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 3:01 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
I'm not man-enough to ride a Mauve bike. Yea...that's it!
No, no you're not.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #16 of 16 Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 10:33 pm Thread Starter

Amen Don, amen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in