CD Changer replacement for bluetooth / MP3 playing - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old Jan 30th, 2015, 4:48 pm Thread Starter

Garage
CD Changer replacement for bluetooth / MP3 playing

Has anyone replaced their CD changer with something like the Yatour device? I know Baris can add bluetooth and AUX ports to the radio. He added an AUX port to my 2003 when I needed to send it to him for a new amp. Would like the added functionality without sending it overseas and looking for a relatively easy plugin option.

1973 Yamaha 250 Enduro (crash and burn)
1982 Yamaha Virago 920 (sold)
Honda CB750 Custom (sold...good riddins!)
2003 K1200LT - Black (for sale)
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue Metallic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old Jan 30th, 2015, 5:16 pm

Garage
Re: CD Changer replacement for bluetooth / MP3 playing

most use a dice unit it fully compatable. I ran the cable into the front storage box and plug my iphone into it. so I can play music and charge my phone at the same time while travelling, as well as answer phone call via blue toothe
lots of info in here doesnt have any bluetooth

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #3 of 30 Old Jan 30th, 2015, 5:18 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle View Post
most use a dice unit it fully compatable. I ran the cable into the front storage box and plug my iphone into it. so I can play music and charge my phone at the same time while travelling, as well as answer phone call via blue toothe
lots of info in here
Thanks for the info. I am an idiot and didn't do a good search before asking the question...sorry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 30 Old Jan 30th, 2015, 5:24 pm

Garage

I wasn't having a go doesnt matter, if you dont ask you won't learn, took me ages to find my way around and for some reason, the sub forums don't seem to be used and posting now everthing seems to be here in the main forum so who cares as long as you get the information

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #5 of 30 Old Jan 30th, 2015, 5:25 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle View Post
I wasn't having a go doesnt matter, if you dont ask you won't learn, took me ages to find my way around and for some reason, the sub forums don't seem to be used and posting now everthing seems to be here in the main forum so who cares as long as you get the information
Appreciate your understanding

post #6 of 30 Old Feb 10th, 2015, 11:09 am

I have an 05 with the DICE unit installed. It works fine but only in a limited mode. In the 05 and later models with the newer radio in the VOICEII the controls will only perform next/previous song and volume control. It does not scroll the song info or allow changing or selecting different playlists. So you must select the playlist first on the playing device. I left the connection in my saddlebag since I use both an IPOd as well as an IPAD. This way I can charge the IPAD while riding. I made large playlists and use shuffle songs. So not a full capability but works well enough! Plays thru headsets or speakers.

Dave T
I did not live to work....I only worked to live! Retired and living life our way!

K1200LT (Calamity)
06 Concours
03 Wing
99 Kaw Voyager
Suz GS850 (10 years! Too good to go)
Suz GS750
Honda 750F & CL,XL 350
post #7 of 30 Old Feb 10th, 2015, 11:13 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazed View Post
I have an 05 with the DICE unit installed. It works fine but only in a limited mode. In the 05 and later models with the newer radio in the VOICEII the controls will only perform next/previous song and volume control. It does not scroll the song info or allow changing or selecting different playlists. So you must select the playlist first on the playing device. I left the connection in my saddlebag since I use both an IPOd as well as an IPAD. This way I can charge the IPAD while riding. I made large playlists and use shuffle songs. So not a full capability but works well enough! Plays thru headsets or speakers.

It looked like the DICE was pretty much only for iPads and iPods. I use an Android based phone.

post #8 of 30 Old Feb 12th, 2015, 10:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdepas View Post
It looked like the DICE was pretty much only for iPads and iPods. I use an Android based phone.
I would like to get rid of the cd changer and replace it with some type of plug and play device that would allow me to use my handlebar controls. As far as ipod or mp3, it would not matter since I don't have either yet. All these posts I've been reading are confusing me. Are you leaning in a certain direction Richard.
post #9 of 30 Old Feb 12th, 2015, 11:37 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdrrock View Post
I would like to get rid of the cd changer and replace it with some type of plug and play device that would allow me to use my handlebar controls. As far as ipod or mp3, it would not matter since I don't have either yet. All these posts I've been reading are confusing me. Are you leaning in a certain direction Richard.
Was hoping to get some more suggestions. Don't have the energy to take on that project right now. Need to tear my bike down to the throttle bodies very soon and I just completed a retrofit to magnets to hold on the right mirror. Really thought someone would have done a retrofit to add bluetooth and/or USB connectivity.

When I cycle through the options by hitting CD on my radio on the 2005, I have an AUX option but I don't know where that AUX is. Would be nice if that was something I could tie into even if it was just a 3.5mm input. I could get a 3.5mm to bluetooth adapter so I could stream Pandora or something like that from my phone.

post #10 of 30 Old Feb 13th, 2015, 9:35 am

Go to enfigcarstereo.com They have a Dension unit. But I think its for iPhone. But I know there's a blitzsafe unit for bmw 3 series I think that will work. I can't remember the model. Archive the forum. I'm sure you can find it.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #11 of 30 Old Feb 13th, 2015, 10:17 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by james216 View Post
Go to enfigcarstereo.com They have a Dension unit. But I think its for iPhone. But I know there's a blitzsafe unit for bmw 3 series I think that will work. I can't remember the model. Archive the forum. I'm sure you can find it.
That blitzsafe assumes there is already an aux input. Although AUX comes up as an option on the radio in the LT, I don't know where to tie into it. If I could find that out, then I probably could just put an aux port in the tank storage tray or a bluetooth adapter on it.

It seems the suggestions coming are for iPod or iPhones. I am looking for a normal AUX port or bluetooth. I'm not an Apple fan...unless it is apples I can eat.

post #12 of 30 Old Feb 13th, 2015, 11:27 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

AUX is available on the rear of the radio. There are two - 10 pin connectors. If you are not going to use the CD changer you can re-purpose that connector to get AUX input. But it has been found to be lacking in audio level and quality. If you have a factory intercom (VOICE II) it processes the AUX in signal before it gets to the radio. (The intercom plugs into the second 10 pin connector) I had an external amp added and ended up abandoning that all together.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #13 of 30 Old Feb 13th, 2015, 11:41 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
AUX is available on the rear of the radio. There are two - 10 pin connectors. If you are not going to use the CD changer you can re-purpose that connector to get AUX input. But it has been found to be lacking in audio level and quality. If you have a factory intercom (VOICE II) it processes the AUX in signal before it gets to the radio. (The intercom plugs into the second 10 pin connector) I had an external amp added and ended up abandoning that all together.
Great info John. I bet this is the same AUX port that Baris tied into. He also stated about the low signal level and added a pre-amp internal to the single CD player to boost the signal.

Do you have a pinout of the connector? I have thought about adding the VOICE II but even on eBay they are pricier than I want to pay just to get music into the system. I don't really want to use it for in helmet communication because I use a bluetooth ScalaRider system there.

post #14 of 30 Old Feb 13th, 2015, 12:02 pm

Ok. I looked in my file. The Unit is a Blitz safe model DMX-V1 for BMW 3 series and Mini. It goes in the right saddlebag and plugged in the connector where The CD changer was. It tricks the CD port into thinking there's a changer present which should give quality CD sound. It has RCA jacks.Then you could get a RCA to 3.5 Aux Y cord adaptor and run your phone/MP3.Of course you need the changer cable if you don't have it. I don't know if it charges the phone .And don't know if track control on handlebar will work . This is covered somewhere in the forum. I think from 2005 & up the radio is digital signal and not analog like 1999-2004. So research on this may be needed.This is the only solution I can think of.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.

Last edited by james216; Feb 13th, 2015 at 12:55 pm. Reason: Add words
post #15 of 30 Old Feb 13th, 2015, 11:09 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

This is the pin out of the 10 pin connector. You can also make your connector from a standard double row header connector (old computer IDE) 0.100 spacing.

The terminals are pins:
4 -- audio ground
7 -- power ground
8 -- AUX audio in, right channel
9 -- AUX audio in, left channel
10 -- +12V power -- controlled by radio ON button

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #16 of 30 Old Feb 14th, 2015, 12:32 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
This is the pin out of the 10 pin connector. You can also make your connector from a standard double row header connector (old computer IDE) 0.100 spacing.

The terminals are pins:
4 -- audio ground
7 -- power ground
8 -- AUX audio in, right channel
9 -- AUX audio in, left channel
10 -- +12V power -- controlled by radio ON button
Thanks for the info. I may play with that when I get the throttle bodies taken care of. Know you said the pre-amp didn't work out for you but I may give it a shot. Might even give a bluetooth module a try.

post #17 of 30 Old Feb 14th, 2015, 4:24 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The amp did get the levels up but the audio quality was just not there. I used an inexpensive Canakit stereo amp and mounted it on top of the radio with its volume controls accessible in the oddiments box.

I have everything piped into my Autocom unit now and it all just sounds better.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #18 of 30 Old Feb 15th, 2015, 10:15 am

Quote:
Great info John. I bet this is the same AUX port that Baris tied into. He also stated about the low signal level and added a pre-amp internal to the single CD player to boost the signal.

Do you have a pinout of the connector? I have thought about adding the VOICE II but even on eBay they are pricier than I want to pay just to get music into the system. I don't really want to use it for in helmet communication because I use a bluetooth ScalaRider system there.
On my 07 voice II the unit under the stingray has three ports. One plug-in is for a cell phone, one is for a mp3 or i-pod and the other is for a two way SRD (short range device as BMW calls it). J&M must of had a hand in designing the system as they are mentioned in the Voice II manual. I used the I-pod in the AUX port and it is activated when you set the options to AUX. I also hooked up my Garmin 550 to the phone port and it worked so I could hear the direction commands. Never tried the phone as I do not use the phone when riding. System worked ok for my use but sound quality was not the best. I would think the new Bluetooth systems would make the Voice II obsolete.

Scott
2007 LT
post #19 of 30 Old Feb 15th, 2015, 10:33 am

Ditch the CD changer and radio in favor of a Sena Bluetooth headset. This gives you the ability to skip songs, take calls and free up space on your bike for storage. After removing the radio I wired 12v cigarette/usb chargers. Easy to do. PM me if u want pictures and info.
post #20 of 30 Old Feb 15th, 2015, 7:21 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaltyn View Post
Ditch the CD changer and radio in favor of a Sena Bluetooth headset. This gives you the ability to skip songs, take calls and free up space on your bike for storage. After removing the radio I wired 12v cigarette/usb chargers. Easy to do. PM me if u want pictures and info.
That sounds like a cool idea and if anything happens with the radio, I may just do that. I emailed Baris at least a week ago and haven't heard anything so I don't know it he is still working on the LT radios.

I like having music through the speakers for general listening so I'll probably try to keep that functionality for now. I have ScalaRider bluetooth in helmet but it doesn't do music, only driver/rider comms and phone calls.

post #21 of 30 Old Feb 24th, 2015, 2:57 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaltyn View Post
I've been contemplating this more and more. Been using Cardo ScalaRider headsets for years. They have been pretty good but lack ability to pair music from the phone. Also the fact that my SO claims she can never hear the radio in the back even though there are speakers right next to her. The Sena may be a great option.

That said - I may actually want to work this in reverse and use a Sena bluetooth module (think it is the SM10) and try to figure out how to make it where I could use the bike radio for playing FM and CD. Know the Sena 20S has FM but I hear it is not very good. Would be nice to have the physical buttons for controls I am used to for radio.

The 20S is pretty new. Probably watch its development over the summer and then move on a plan next fall. Amazing how far bluetooth headsets have come in the last few years.

post #22 of 30 Old Feb 27th, 2015, 8:37 am Thread Starter

Garage

John - Thanks for the pinout of AUX channels to feed an signal into the radio. By chance, do you also have the wiring diagram/pinout of getting the audio signal out of the radio if it were to go into a VOICE II or other communication set?

I would like to wire up a "Headset Out" port for the radio in hopes of getting a SM10 of similar device where I could pump out the radio/CD signal to bluetooth headsets.

post #23 of 30 Old Feb 27th, 2015, 1:30 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
John - Thanks for the pinout of AUX channels to feed an signal into the radio. By chance, do you also have the wiring diagram/pinout of getting the audio signal out of the radio if it were to go into a VOICE II or other communication set?

I would like to wire up a "Headset Out" port for the radio in hopes of getting a SM10 of similar device where I could pump out the radio/CD signal to bluetooth headsets.
Have you considered tapping into the speaker wiring and attaching a bluetooth dongle that will then pair up with a Sena SHM10 or 20s? You can get to the wiring for the rear speakers rather easy, and tap off power for the dongle back there.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #24 of 30 Old Feb 27th, 2015, 1:36 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker15 View Post
Have you considered tapping into the speaker wiring and attaching a bluetooth dongle that will then pair up with a Sena SHM10 or 20s?
That is definitely an option. I was thinking about line level output from the radio but I could put something in the rear trunk tapping into the speakers. Thought it would be cool to only power up the bluetooth module when the radio is on and I know there is a radio switched 12V but that would need to be tapped into right at the radio head unit.

There is a bundle of wires that are factory tied back at the head unit. I am assuming those would be for the VOICE II. If so, I bet all the wires I need would be right there. Might even give me the option to turn off the bike speakers. I admit I haven't studied the Clymers wiring diagram in relation to this. Maybe there is something in there. Know there are guys that have retrofit radios and amps in these bikes. Was hoping someone had experience they could share as to the wires in that bundle.

post #25 of 30 Old Feb 27th, 2015, 4:33 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
That is definitely an option. I was thinking about line level output from the radio but I could put something in the rear trunk tapping into the speakers. Thought it would be cool to only power up the bluetooth module when the radio is on and I know there is a radio switched 12V but that would need to be tapped into right at the radio head unit.

There is a bundle of wires that are factory tied back at the head unit. I am assuming those would be for the VOICE II. If so, I bet all the wires I need would be right there. Might even give me the option to turn off the bike speakers. I admit I haven't studied the Clymers wiring diagram in relation to this. Maybe there is something in there. Know there are guys that have retrofit radios and amps in these bikes. Was hoping someone had experience they could share as to the wires in that bundle.
All the connection you would need are at the head unit, but the rear speakers are usually simpler to get at.
I thought there was a wiring diagram for the radio in the technical files area but don't see it. I know jzeiler has a copy somewhere maybe he can repost it.

Just found this thread go to post 3 to see diagram. http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...g-diagram.html

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #26 of 30 Old Feb 27th, 2015, 6:29 pm Thread Starter

Garage

I am completely missing how to look things up in the technical files. I see a forum for Technical Files but it does not seem to contain any files but if someone links one, I can get to it. Apparently I am not looking in the right spot.

That said - I know John has a ton of technical documents and assumed he would be the go-to man on this.

post #27 of 30 Old Apr 5th, 2015, 8:29 pm

Question Re: CD Changer replacement for bluetooth / MP3 playing

Hi all,

First of all, sorry for some bad English writing from France ...
Secondly, sorry to post again (duplicate) but found this much more recent post about nearly same problem (ie in my case, finding switched power supply from inside CD radio housing).

Are you sure that Pin 5 of radio plug is an output from the radio and not from the K12 ?

I'm facing a big prob today about this, and some 2012 post here.
I did use attached wiring diagram : wiring a standard 1A USB power converter (12v to 5v) to pins 15 for ground and 5 for switched power supply.
Actually this diagram shows Pin 5 is an input ("Eingang" german speaking) for the radio.
And, I'm not really sure now (after reading your post), but when I measured each pin voltage (before connecting anything !) I remember that this one was 12v (when key switched on) even without radio connected ...
My problem is that I had correct power for a few hours, but when I wanted to have a last test before reassembling everything, I had no more switched power on this pin 5.
So I do not know at this time if my prob comes from radio or from bike ...
But you can imagine in what state my K12 is at this time as I tried all day long to find where this switched power supply signal could come from (of course 7,5A fuse already verified) ...

A few post before, Cochinosucio said that this pin could be fused (15A), but I have not any idea where this 15A fuse could be if it exists (inside radio, need to dismount) ?

I have to precise that my K12LT FL is a may 2004 one, and that the single CD radio is the only sound equipment I have at this time (it is a Becker Pro 2000 Ece 65.12-7 ...). But the attached wiring diagram seemed to match my bike one's as measured voltages.
I even did try to attache AUX inputs on Intercom plug, and it worked fine (except amplified sound) until switched power failed !

Any help would be greatly appreciated before I have to forget any idea of listening music sounds on my K12

Thanks
Thierry
post #28 of 30 Old Apr 5th, 2015, 8:48 pm

Question Re: CD Changer replacement for bluetooth / MP3 playing

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker15 View Post
All the connection you would need are at the head unit, but the rear speakers are usually simpler to get at.
I thought there was a wiring diagram for the radio in the technical files area but don't see it. I know jzeiler has a copy somewhere maybe he can repost it.

Just found this thread go to post 3 to see diagram. http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...g-diagram.html
SORRY FOR DUPLICATE (new to forum usage)

Hi all,

First of all, sorry for some bad English writing from France ...
Secondly, sorry to post again (duplicate) but found this much more recent post about nearly same problem (ie in my case, finding switched power supply from inside CD radio housing).

Are you sure that Pin 5 of radio plug is an output from the radio and not from the K12 ?

I'm facing a big prob today about this, and some 2012 post here.
I did use attached wiring diagram : wiring a standard 1A USB power converter (12v to 5v) to pins 15 for ground and 5 for switched power supply.
Actually this diagram shows Pin 5 is an input ("Eingang" german speaking) for the radio.
And, I'm not really sure now (after reading your post), but when I measured each pin voltage (before connecting anything !) I remember that this one was 12v (when key switched on) even without radio connected ...
My problem is that I had correct power for a few hours, but when I wanted to have a last test before reassembling everything, I had no more switched power on this pin 5.
So I do not know at this time if my prob comes from radio or from bike ...
But you can imagine in what state my K12 is at this time as I tried all day long to find where this switched power supply signal could come from (of course 7,5A fuse already verified) ...

A few post before (2012 year), Cochinosucio said that this pin could be fused (15A), but I have not any idea where this 15A fuse could be if it exists (inside radio, need to dismount) ?

I have to precise that my K12LT FL is a may 2004 one, and that the single CD radio is the only sound equipment I have at this time (it is a Becker Pro 2000 Ece 65.12-7 ...). But the attached wiring diagram seemed to match my bike one's as measured voltages.
I even did try to attache AUX inputs on Intercom plug, and it worked fine (except amplified sound) until switched power failed !

Any help would be greatly appreciated before I have to forget any idea of listening music sounds on my K12

Thanks
Thierry
post #29 of 30 Old Apr 7th, 2015, 10:02 am

Exclamation Re: CD Changer replacement for bluetooth / MP3 playing

Hi all,

Having not any return to my posts in this forum since two days, I have "solved" this problem with the help of some french fellows.
You can find the solution here (you will have to translate from french) :
[résolu] K12LT 2004 - Problème signal +12v "ignit" radio CD

So I am now looking for a radio controller (keyboard) without lcd display and good working of course !
Thanks !

Regards,
Thierry
post #30 of 30 Old Apr 8th, 2016, 11:50 pm

To anyone thinking upgrading the radio. I recently purchased my 06 LT and the radio had issues, some speakers didnt work and it was difficult to seek radio stations. I purchased a Pioneer DEH-X6710BT and changed out the rear speakers to Sony 5 1/'4, 4 way's. I wasn't able to swap out the front speakers due to fact I would've had to remove more hardware... The speakers were fine anyways and sounded great.. Once the radio was installed I added a cell phone holder thats sits right above the stingray. The phone (Android) is paired via bluetooth to the radio. Whats also great Pioneer has a Free App so you control the radio directly from the phone. Plus I paired my Helmet via Sena Bluetooth so I can listen to the radio/cd or talk on my cell. I'll add some photo's later. Removing the tuperware and reinstalling wasnt as bad as I thought. Now I feel more confident to work on my own bike..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in