Cruise Control Disengage - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Jul 30th, 2006, 8:40 am Thread Starter

Cruise Control Disengage

Has anyone experienced the problem of the cruise control disengaging too easily? Lately any tiny bump in the road causes it to switch off. I suspect that one of the sensors on the clutch or brakes is the problem, but I am not sure how to isolate and deal with the problem. Any help will be most appreciated since I am about to head to the Bay of Fundy soon and I would like to be able to use the cruise capability.

Sorry if this topic has been discussed, but I was unable to find a relevant post...Chastise me if I was inept.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Jul 30th, 2006, 8:51 am

I'm purdy sure it's the micro switch for the clutch that's causing your gremlin. Real easy to adjust that baby out some.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old Jul 30th, 2006, 9:24 am
ajs

A friend owns an R1200RT that had the same problem. He has had it to the dealer a number of times. They checked and replaced sensors and the problem still persisted. He was travelling with other bikes and the rider directly behind him noticed his brake light was flashing periodically and thought his foot might be resting on the brake lever and causing the light to flash when he went over a bump etc. This was not the case so he checked around the lever for some other physical interference that might be causing the problem. None was found. He eventually checked the clearance on brake switch and adjusted it. Problem solved. Something to check if you haven't already.

post #4 of 14 Old Jul 30th, 2006, 10:19 am

Another Possibility

Do you have a throttle rocker on your bike?

The Touring Professor

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2007 Honda Gold Wing
2004 Honda Rune
1999 H-D Dyna-Glide Conv.
1996 Porsche 993 Turbo
1991 Acura NSX

Gone But Not Forgotten:

2006 K1200GT
2005 Triumph Rocket
2001 K1200LT
2002 K1200LT
2003 Hayabusa
2002 1800 VTX
1999 HD Sportster
1988 HD Softail Custom
1975 Yamaha 100cc
post #5 of 14 Old Jul 30th, 2006, 11:33 am

I thought the cruise control diagnostic procedure was posted in the HOW, but could not find it.

Here it is again.

It may be that your throttle closing cable is too tight. It needs sufficient play to allow the switch to release.
Attached Files
File Type: doc K1200LT Cruise control diagnostics procedure.doc (16.0 KB, 146 views)

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #6 of 14 Old Jul 30th, 2006, 12:36 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I had a similar problem and traced it to a mal-adjusted microswitch in the clutch lever. With the engine off, and if your hearing is too bad you can hear the switch click as you work the lever. That might give you an idea if it's too sensitive.

Motor On ,/'

post #7 of 14 Old Jul 30th, 2006, 1:51 pm

I had the same problem. Took it to the dealer and he replaced something under all the tupperware and it worked fine for a couple of weeks and then the problem reappeared. I adjusted the micro switch in the clutch lever and I have had no problems since. That was over a year ago.
My money would be on adjusting the micro switches in either the brake or clutch levers.

Ken
post #8 of 14 Old Jul 30th, 2006, 4:29 pm Thread Starter

Good Tips

Thanks for the tips. I will endeavor to isolate the problem. From the symtoms, I might lean toward a tight throttle because if I have a good grip on the throttle, the cruise seems to stay on better. When I have my hand off the throttle it disengages more quickly.

I guess I will have to start with the throttle and then move to the others until it gets better or worse. David, thanks for the diagnostic, but would that work on an intermittent problem like this?
post #9 of 14 Old Jul 30th, 2006, 5:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbob
Thanks for the tips. I will endeavor to isolate the problem. From the symtoms, I might lean toward a tight throttle because if I have a good grip on the throttle, the cruise seems to stay on better. When I have my hand off the throttle it disengages more quickly.

I guess I will have to start with the throttle and then move to the others until it gets better or worse. David, thanks for the diagnostic, but would that work on an intermittent problem like this?
The diagnostic will tell you how little you have to move the throttle toward the hard off stop to get it to disengage. If you barely move it, then the closing cable is adjusted too tight, or the cable is routed badly near the throttle rail. If the cable is not clipped into the little clip on top of the fan shroud, or if it is being deflected by the wiring harnesses at the throttle rail pushing against it, the spring cannot push the cable housing back easily to release the cruise switch.

You can also just listen carefully down by the left side as you turn the throttle grip hard off, and release it again. You should hear the switch click on and off.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #10 of 14 Old Jul 30th, 2006, 7:46 pm

Check the

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbob
Has anyone experienced the problem of the cruise control disengaging too easily? Lately any tiny bump in the road causes it to switch off. I suspect that one of the sensors on the clutch or brakes is the problem, but I am not sure how to isolate and deal with the problem.
Speedo wire coming from the final drive as well, where it is tie wrapped to the rear brake line, above the swing arm. I was experiencing the very same conditions, cruise disengaging due to bumps, had all the switches checked out, finally the wire got cut all the way through, and no cruise at all, no speedo either.

Jeff Davis
San Diego, CA
'00 Pacific Blue AKA BluBlur
'08 WR250F
'07 TTR125L (for the kid)
post #11 of 14 Old Jul 30th, 2006, 8:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ustasub
Speedo wire coming from the final drive as well, where it is tie wrapped to the rear brake line, above the swing arm. I was experiencing the very same conditions, cruise disengaging due to bumps, had all the switches checked out, finally the wire got cut all the way through, and no cruise at all, no speedo either.
Yep, did not see that you were riding a '99. On any earlier than '02 the cut speed sensor wire at the brake line fitting is a really common problem.

Pull the little side fairing in front of the right side case and cut the zip tie holding the sensor wire to the front end of the rubber brake line. Excellent chance that is your problem. Fortunately, easy to repair the wire and insulate it better from the metal fitting.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #12 of 14 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 2:45 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
Yep, did not see that you were riding a '99. On any earlier than '02 the cut speed sensor wire at the brake line fitting is a really common problem.

Pull the little side fairing in front of the right side case and cut the zip tie holding the sensor wire to the front end of the rubber brake line. Excellent chance that is your problem. Fortunately, easy to repair the wire and insulate it better from the metal fitting.
Bingo....you and Jeff nailed it. I took off the tupperware, removed the tie wrap, and the wire completely severed when I moved it to inspect it. It probably had only one or two strands left. Half an hour later I was off riding. I took a route that bounced me like a pogo stick and the cruise held steady. Neat!

Thank everyone so much for their knowledge and willingness to share. What a great group of people and resource this is.
post #13 of 14 Old Sep 24th, 2008, 7:11 pm

Re: Cruise Control Disengage

I have a 2001 LT and I had the same problem with the speedometer bouncing and the cruize would not stay enguaged and sure enough, it was the pick-up wire that was zip-tied to the rear brake fitting where the hose makes a 90 degree turn that was cut.. I re-spliced the wire and now it works like a champ.

Sglover

2001 K1200LT (sold)
1996 HD Dyna Wide Glide
1997 HD Heritage Soft Tail
1997 HD Sportster
Yamaha YZF650
Honda CB 350-4
Honda CB 350
post #14 of 14 Old Sep 25th, 2008, 10:02 am

Re: Cruise Control Disengage

edit..ok, its too early, I see you solved your problem but keep this handy for reference, its easy enough to try......

I had the same problem on my 02 LTC along with intermittent operation (ie, when it felt like it!)

Try this, it worked for me and is still working (110K+ miles on the bike).

Use electric contact cleaner, shoot it into the microswitch area while working the engagement side to side, gently.

let it dry, douse it with WD40 afterwords using the same method.

Repeat as necessary, took a couple of times for mine to come to a 100% resolution regarding the initial problems.

6 bucks worth of fluids later, I've had no further problems since.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in