Weaving Bike (no alcohol involved) - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By GaryEm
  • 1 Post By bigbear

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Jan 27th, 2015, 6:13 pm Thread Starter

Weaving Bike (no alcohol involved)

Hi,

I think I know what I did wrong, but as always I would like your input and to see if anyone else has experienced this issue before I start throwing money at it.

My bike handled perfect until I had the front and rear tires changed AND rebuilt my steering damper. Now I notice it takes constant slight corrections to keep the bike going straight. I tend to weave back and forth a bit and it's annoying. The bike still handles okay but it's different than it was before I made these changes.

Since I did this all at once, it is either the tires or the damper. I followed the Youtube video of taking the damper apart, cleaning it and used either 5w or 7.5w oil when reassembling it. I have to check what oil I used but maybe it was too light?? Would that cause this?

For the tires, I had a new Bridgestone BT-020M installed on the front and a Metzeler ME880 put on the rear. Both are rated for the K1200LT and it seems to be a common combo from what I have read on here. I've also tried various air pressures with no effect on this weaving issue.

SO, is the steering damper causing this and should I replace it?

Chris

2003 K1200LT
Washougal, WA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Jan 27th, 2015, 6:30 pm

Re: Weaving Bike (no alcohol involved)

You should of but the bridge on the back and mez on the front but I do not think that has any thing to do with it
r75 likes this.

Gary
2003 K1200LT
post #3 of 23 Old Jan 27th, 2015, 6:36 pm Thread Starter

Gary,

Thanks for pointing that out. My bad. I just went and checked and realized I put Bridgestone tires on both ends and they are both bias ply (thought maybe a radial got put on and was causing this).

Chris

2003 K1200LT
Washougal, WA

post #4 of 23 Old Jan 27th, 2015, 6:51 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I'm going to say to look at the front tire as being suspect.

Of course, new tires feel different than the wore out pair you had been riding for thousands of miles and will feel like the bike turns in better with less effort.

The steering dampener is for violent head shake and would not dampen weaving.

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker
05 K1200LT - The Golden Rocket Ship
91 K100RS - The White Stallion
85 K100 Standard - Big Red
79 R65 - "The Bee" is a buzzin' again!
06 525i - Premium, Sport, Comfort, Xenons

Gone, but not forgotten...
02 K1200LTC - Big Blue (accident at 40k)
88 K100RT - Chocolate (it was brown, melted - fire)
85 K100RT - (wore out)
82 Yamaha Vision - (electrics)
72 Yamaha R5C 350 - (broke trans)
post #5 of 23 Old Jan 27th, 2015, 7:41 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Most common cause of wandering is low tire pressure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 23 Old Jan 27th, 2015, 8:29 pm

I've had to run bias rear with a radial front on the LT. Rear showing cords on a trip. Was in the middle of nowhere.So I had to replace with a bias Dunlop to get me home. It handled just fine.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #7 of 23 Old Jan 28th, 2015, 5:08 am

If this problem is occurring at slower speeds it is possible that you have some binding in the steering. On a normal bike with standard head stock and tapered roller bearings, the problem occurs when the bearings become notchy.
Is there some physical binding in the steering since reconnecting the steering damper (other than the normal damping resistance of course).

Dennis
1987 Yamaha TY250R
1991 Aprilia Climber 280
1988 K100RT (the pack horse)
2005 K1200LTE Light yellow metallic
post #8 of 23 Old Jan 28th, 2015, 9:22 am

I would bet the dampener is giving you slight resistance which will cause the weaving. I over tightened the steering head bearings on an old triumph years ago and that caused the bike to weave until I loosened them. Put it up on center stand front tire off the ground and slowly turn it back and for and if you feel any resistance from the steering dampener that is your problem. After moving back and forth slowly increase the motion and determine when the damper kicks in. it shouldn't kick in until back and forth motion becomes pretty quick.

Good luck
post #9 of 23 Old Jan 28th, 2015, 9:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton View Post
I would bet the dampener is giving you slight resistance which will cause the weaving. I over tightened the steering head bearings on an old triumph years ago and that caused the bike to weave until I loosened them. Put it up on center stand front tire off the ground and slowly turn it back and for and if you feel any resistance from the steering dampener that is your problem. After moving back and forth slowly increase the motion and determine when the damper kicks in. it shouldn't kick in until back and forth motion becomes pretty quick.

Good luck
I was going to say that it couldn't be the damper, however.....I'm having second thoughts.

When I serviced the steering damper on my LT, I used 7 wt fork oil at first, and the steering felt sluggish. (scissor jack under the engine to lift the front wheel) changed it to 5 wt and it felt much better.

You should only feel the presence of the damper with Very quick steering movement.

Try disconnecting it from the control arm, go for a ride & see if the issue goes away.

Rand & Susan Hawksworth
2000 K1200LT
post #10 of 23 Old Jan 28th, 2015, 12:21 pm

From memory on the LT wasn't there a step where you installed the axle and then bounced the front end a few times to make sure the axle / wheel assembly was properly aligned. If the front tire is slightly out of alignment wouldn't this also cause this issue?
cws likes this.

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #11 of 23 Old Jan 28th, 2015, 3:06 pm

Rand,

Good idea to disconnect damper and test ride, easy to do and I bet problem solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawk View Post
I was going to say that it couldn't be the damper, however.....I'm having second thoughts.

When I serviced the steering damper on my LT, I used 7 wt fork oil at first, and the steering felt sluggish. (scissor jack under the engine to lift the front wheel) changed it to 5 wt and it felt much better.

You should only feel the presence of the damper with Very quick steering movement.

Try disconnecting it from the control arm, go for a ride & see if the issue goes away.
post #12 of 23 Old Jan 28th, 2015, 7:57 pm

I would start with what Dean said. adjust/correct tire pressure. KISS first.
if it was 70 or so in the shop and 45 or so outside you already have lost air pressure.

Good luck

Quohog

Tomorrow is promised to no one!
1993 Honda CBR1000F
2001 K1200LTC (sold)
2004 K1200LT (replaced 01)
2005 Yamaha Road Star (gone)
2009 Harley Road King Classic
2009 Harley Ultra Classic.
post #13 of 23 Old Jan 28th, 2015, 9:54 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input, things I hadn't thought of. This weekend I will:

Double check tire air pressure. I run 48 psi rear and 42 psi front. It seemed to handle fine with those pressures in the past and that is what I set them to after I got the tires back from the shop (btw, I did remove the wheels and reinstalled them myself).

Research the front wheel install procedure. If there is some type of bouncing to seat/align the axle before torqueing things down, I didn't do it so maybe that's an issue. Then a test ride.

If the issue remains, I will check for any type of binding in the front end with/without the damper and then try a test ride without the damper.

Thanks for the help,
Chris

2003 K1200LT
Washougal, WA
post #14 of 23 Old Jan 29th, 2015, 9:52 am

Garage

I just had new tires put on my bike as well. At the shop his gauge said 42 front and 48 rear, I installed the tires and ended up with the same issue as you. At very low speeds the bike seemed to weave, or feel drunk. It did fine at higher speeds, but at anything less than 7 MPH, this would happen.
I checked the tire pressure, and sure enough, it was low. Both tires were at least 10lbs low. I think his gauge, mounted on his mounting machine was off. I doubt I could have lost 10 PSI in 3 day from both brand new tires.
Check your pressure, I would bet this is it. And its free, so it should be your first check.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1997 R1100RT
2000 K1200LT Sold

post #15 of 23 Old Jan 29th, 2015, 6:41 pm
cws

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlrrp View Post
Research the front wheel install procedure. If there is some type of bouncing to seat/align the axle before torqueing things down, I didn't do it so maybe that's an issue. Then a test ride.
Here's the page from the online version of the BMW manual, they only address that point as a "Note" ie,
Note:
Begin by tightening the quick-release axle (1). Press
down on the forks and release them; repeat this action
several times and then tighten the pinch
bolts (2, 5).

Page is attached.

Clymer manual describes it in a little more detail...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Front_wheel_remove-install_BMW_K1200LT_Repair_Manual.pdf (45.6 KB, 83 views)

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #16 of 23 Old Jan 31st, 2015, 8:55 pm Thread Starter

Thank you all for the advice and boy do I feel silly. The weaving was due to low tire pressure both front and rear. I checked them today with my tire gauge and they looked fine. I then used the gauge on my tire pump (MiniPro Motopump) and the tires were 10 psi lower!

I filled them to the correct pressure using the Motopump's gauge which seems accurate. Took a test ride and things are just fine. I threw away the Slime brand gauge that was off. I am now in the market for a GOOD air gauge, anyone have any suggestions since all the local parts stores sell are cheap ones.

Once again, thanks for the suggestions and I am very happy this repair was free...... Also, it appears that my rebuilding of the steering damper was fine as it is working as it should.

Thank you,
Chris

2003 K1200LT
Washougal, WA
post #17 of 23 Old Jan 31st, 2015, 9:50 pm

Garage

I figured it would be, as I said, I had the same issue and it bugged me because I thought the pressure was correct. Reset the pressure, and they are fine now. I too am looking for a quality gauge. Let me know what you find, and I will do the same for you.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

1997 R1100RT
2000 K1200LT Sold

post #18 of 23 Old Jan 31st, 2015, 11:58 pm

Here is one for the shop, most accurate I have found in years:
Motion Pro Digital Tire Pressure Gauge - Motorcycle Superstore

Beech

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #19 of 23 Old Feb 1st, 2015, 8:59 am

Michelin makes a few:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_4lr5mb55c0_b

Regards,
Boots
IBA#50871

Come ride with me;

2006 R12GS 100K miles, current ride
1972 R60/5 Toaster 44K miles, current ride
2002 K12LTE 58K miles, SOLD
post #20 of 23 Old Feb 1st, 2015, 10:33 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

All in all the digital (cheap or expensive) have shown to have the best accuracy. There was an extensive review in one of the bike magazines a few years back and that was the general consensus.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #21 of 23 Old Feb 1st, 2015, 12:35 pm Thread Starter

I ordered one of these (Accu-Gage) mainly for the 90 degree chuck. I saw that it received mixed reviews on Amazon but if it reads close and I don't drop it, I think it will work fine for the garage.

The Motion Pro gauge looks awesome but I just can't get myself to spend almost a hundred dollars on a tire pressure gauge.

I'll keep looking for a small digital to carry on the bike. The Michelin gauges look like they would work, but I'm going to continue looking a bit more. Out of all the bikes I've had, the K1200LT is one of the hardest to get a gauge on the valve stem. Not really super difficult, just not easy.

2003 K1200LT
Washougal, WA
post #22 of 23 Old Feb 1st, 2015, 12:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by quohog View Post
I would start with what Dean said. adjust/correct tire pressure. KISS first.
if it was 70 or so in the shop and 45 or so outside you already have lost air pressure.

Good luck
Deflategate?

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #23 of 23 Old Feb 1st, 2015, 1:02 pm

I'd like to have one of these, butt with three Accu-gauges around the garage, all reading within 1 degree of each other, guess I'm not pressured to get one!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in