5Likes
  • 1 Post By CharlieVT
  • 1 Post By CharlieVT
  • 2 Post By CharlieVT
  • 1 Post By sailor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old Jan 27th, 2015, 5:44 pm Thread Starter

First start prep ?

You experienced engine builders, whattaya tink?

Getting ready for first start after my top end over haul.
New rings, valve job.

Wondering if someone has a suggestion on how to crank the engine without starting just to get the oil pump to flood the galleries before actually firing it up.

I've done a few engines before, and I always just started the engine right up, never had a problem. I've oiled everything during assembly but the camshaft galleries won't be full.

Can I just pull out the spark plugs and crank the engine for a while or can that damage the ignition system?

Or should I even bother?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old Jan 27th, 2015, 5:57 pm

Re: First start prep ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT View Post
You experienced engine builders, whattaya tink?

Getting ready for first start after my top end over haul.
New rings, valve job.

Wondering if someone has a suggestion on how to crank the engine without starting just to get the oil pump to flood the galleries before actually firing it up.

I've done a few engines before, and I always just started the engine right up, never had a problem. I've oiled everything during assembly but the camshaft galleries won't be full.

Can I just pull out the spark plugs and crank the engine for a while or can that damage the ignition system?

Or should I even bother?
On k1200RS, there is a loophole in the starter interlocks that will allow you to run starter without fuel or ignition - I often use this technique to exercise oil pump after long storage.
Because of reverse-gear electronics (part of starter interlocks), this might not work on K1200LT, but it will NOT do any harm - in worst case the starter button will do nothing:

(1) Park on center-stand
(2) Side-stand down
(3) shift in any gear (not neutral)
(4) Ignition ON (wait a few sec)
(5) Pull clutch lever fully, THEN press starter (while keeping clutch lever in)

Engine will not start but should turn over.

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #3 of 35 Old Jan 27th, 2015, 6:17 pm

Thumbs up Re: First start prep ?

Charley I would pull the plugs and ground plugs to motor. Pull off the valve cover to look for oil being pumped up top. Once you have that your good to go.
Button her up and enjoy the next couple of 100K miles out of the bike !

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA

post #4 of 35 Old Jan 27th, 2015, 7:09 pm
Enjoy The Ride

If you filled the oil filter with oil before you installed it & with everything well lubed I would just start it. Warm not cold oil would help. If you don't have a heated garage then a heat lamp or equivalent will help to heat the oil.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 35 Old Jan 27th, 2015, 7:43 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Curtis, you going to need to convert that LT to a snow-blower or are you far enough inland to avoid that mess?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 35 Old Jan 27th, 2015, 8:19 pm

Engine will not start. But will turn over. This will work on the LT after storing all winter huh?

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #7 of 35 Old Jan 27th, 2015, 8:20 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Our race engines have external oil pumps and we can remove the drive belt & prime the engine before we start them. We also have heaters on the oil tank to preheat the oil. Every now & then we don't get a chance to preheat the oil & even though we primed the engine I can tell that it was started with cold oil when I rebuild it.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #8 of 35 Old Jan 28th, 2015, 10:46 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
On k1200RS, there is a loophole in the starter interlocks that will allow you to run starter without fuel or ignition - I often use this technique to exercise oil pump after long storage.
Because of reverse-gear electronics (part of starter interlocks), this might not work on K1200LT, but it will NOT do any harm - in worst case the starter button will do nothing:

(1) Park on center-stand
(2) Side-stand down
(3) shift in any gear (not neutral)
(4) Ignition ON (wait a few sec)
(5) Pull clutch lever fully, THEN press starter (while keeping clutch lever in)

Engine will not start but should turn over.
On the LT the starter will not turn if you are in gear, clutch in and the side stand is extended. I use this method at fuel stops to kill the engine in gear with the side stand. Occasionally I forget to raise the side stand after fueling and the bike will not crank. Raise the side stand and it fires right up and I drive away. Center stand has no affect.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #9 of 35 Old Jan 28th, 2015, 11:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
On the LT the starter will not turn if you are in gear, clutch in and the side stand is extended. I use this method at fuel stops to kill the engine in gear with the side stand. Occasionally I forget to raise the side stand after fueling and the bike will not crank. Raise the side stand and it fires right up and I drive away. Center stand has no affect.
John,
On occasion, to confirm side-stand switch is working in both direction, I use the same technique at fuel stops to kill engine (extend side stand in gear , engine dies , then turn key off).

However, in 2nd generation K1200RS (2002-2005 USA) there is a loophole in starter-interlocks - starter button will turn starter if you pull clutch lever, BUT it will never start (as fuel and/or ignition is cut by Motronic). Hence, I was curious if same would apply to 1st gen or 2nd gen K1200LT.

John (Montreal, CANADA)
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #10 of 35 Old Jan 28th, 2015, 2:33 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Curtis can pull fuse F4 and kill the ECU and Fuel Pump but allow cranking to build up oil pressure.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #11 of 35 Old Jan 28th, 2015, 4:27 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Curtis can pull fuse F4 and kill the ECU and Fuel Pump but allow cranking to build up oil pressure.
Lots of good ideas, but this is the low effort winner!
Thanks for all the replies.
johnbaker15 likes this.
post #12 of 35 Old Jan 28th, 2015, 6:13 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage

+1 for John's idea.
I just pull the fuel pump fuse and crank for 20 sec or so.
+1 for installing the oil filter pre filled too.

Happy riding

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #13 of 35 Old Jan 29th, 2015, 4:44 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I am sure you put some assembly lube on the cam and did not install it dry. Just checking.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #14 of 35 Old Jan 29th, 2015, 4:54 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
I am sure you put some assembly lube on the cam and did not install it dry. Just checking.
I didn't use any proprietary "assembly lube", I know there are some products which claim to have better retention for initial startup, didn't buy any of that stuff. I just used engine oil on all surfaces, every bearing and journal, crank, cam shafts, cam followers. Basically every moving surface had as much oil as the clearances would allow. (Good, old fashioned oil can).
And, yeah, the oil filter filled to the brim before installing; I always do that.
However, I know that the galleys in the camshafts drained somewhat, and I didn't make an effort to refill them before reinstalling. That's why I want to crank it a while before I put the ignition to it. I'm just hoping to have good oil pressure right off.

I'm also thinking of putting a squirt of engine oil in the spark plug holes. (Just to make it smoke more on start-up)
johnbaker15 likes this.
post #15 of 35 Old Jan 29th, 2015, 5:11 pm Thread Starter

SitRep

Installed the gas tank, reconnected all electrical connections. Pulled spark plugs and rotated the crank 360 degrees just to be sure I didn't screw up the valve timing. If I had a valve/piston interference I wanted to find out by hand rotating things rather than finding out when I cranked the starter. (Yeah, I'm a worrywart).

Engines I have done: Volvo 122S, Datsun 280Z, BMW R75/5, R90S, R90/6; they all survived my rebuilds.

But there is always that start up anxiety. Back when I was building electronic stuff in my Ham Radio days, the last test was the "smoke test". Spend weeks soldering and bench testing circuits, but on the final day, plug it in. Wait for smoke. No smoke? Good.

First start on an engine rebuild has that kind of anxiety for me; I haven't done enough to have confidence.

Old joke: What is the essential ingredient in all electrical circuits? Ans. "Smoke".
Why, because whenever the smoke gets out, it doesn't work any more.
Class Charlie Fire! Commander!

Tomorrow, heat the oil pan, pull fuse #4 and crank it a while. Run an exhaust hose out under the garage door, then put in the fuse and see what happens. Look for leaks.
post #16 of 35 Old Jan 29th, 2015, 6:06 pm
Enjoy The Ride

If you run a exhaust hose out the door you will have made all of that extra olive oil you put in the spark plug holes a waste of time.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #17 of 35 Old Jan 30th, 2015, 10:08 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
If you run a exhaust hose out the door you will have made all of that extra olive oil you put in the spark plug holes a waste of time.
How'd you know I was using olive oil?
post #18 of 35 Old Jan 30th, 2015, 11:18 am Thread Starter

Startup

Thanks for all the guidance during this project.

I started this AM.... brief problem: On first start up it wouldn't idle, ran rough, and needed blipping of the throttle to keep going. Quick check of faults with the GS-911 show TPS fault. Discovered I had failed to plug in the TPS. The plug for the TPS sensor had disappeared into the bowels of the frame so when I went about plugging everthing back in I missed it.
GPS-911 told me of the fault, so had to take the tank back off to search around for the problem. The plug was so tucked out of site it took me a few minutes to find it.

Engine now sounds fine, K-bike rattle well preserved and all.

Now to button the bike back up and wait for April. Unless we get a really good thaw and a rain that washes the salt of the roads, and clears my driveway of snow and ice, the bike will suckle on the battery tender until after sugaring season.

Thanks again for all the help from so many folks for all the suggestions along the way.
Free maple syrup to any contributor who makes it up here for coffee and conversation.

ErnieA and Patric like this.
post #19 of 35 Old Jan 30th, 2015, 11:49 am

Re: Startup

Quote:

I started this AM.... brief problem: On first start up it wouldn't idle, ran rough, and needed blipping of the throttle to keep going. Quick check of faults with the GS-911 show TPS fault. Discovered I had failed to plug in the TPS. The plug for the TPS sensor had disappeared into the bowels of the frame so when I went about plugging everthing back in I missed it.
GPS-911 told me of the fault, so had to take the tank back off to search around for the problem. The plug was so tucked out of site it took me a few minutes to find it.

Now to button the bike back up and wait for April. Unless we get a really good thaw and a rain that washes the salt of the roads, and clears my driveway of snow and ice, the bike will suckle on the battery tender until after sugaring season.

Thanks again for all the help from so many folks for all the suggestions along the way.
Free maple syrup to any contributor who makes it up here for coffee and conversation.

God job - I am sure you will sleep better now ;-)

I have done a lot of testing on these TB and I must say I am very surprised the engine would start with TPS not connected (although I never tried that case).

Are you sure it was not the TVA that was not connected ?
See attached diagram...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200RS_Throttle_bodies_1to4_from_TOP(with Notes).JPG
Views:	128
Size:	242.4 KB
ID:	72978  

John (Montreal, CANADA)
post #20 of 35 Old Jan 30th, 2015, 12:33 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
...Are you sure it was not the TVA that was not connected ?
See attached diagram...
Yup, sure. The TVA has a connector in plain sight, that was easy to see during reconnection of things.
The TPS's connector on the sensor itself is on the bottom of the sensor assembly, not so obvious; and the connector coming from the harness was so tucked away I didn't see that either.

And the GS-911 showed TPS fault, not TVA fault.

Yeah, it started right up with the TPS disconnected. Needed a little extra throttle at the grip compared the usual cold start, and then needed "blipping" to stay running. It would not idle and would die immediately if the throttle was let go of.

Thanks! for the suggestions
post #21 of 35 Old Jan 30th, 2015, 3:04 pm

Quote:
Yup, sure. The TVA has a connector in plain sight, that was easy to see during reconnection of things.
The TPS's connector on the sensor itself is on the bottom of the sensor assembly, not so obvious; and the connector coming from the harness was so tucked away I didn't see that either.

And the GS-911 showed TPS fault, not TVA fault.

Yeah, it started right up with the TPS disconnected. Needed a little extra throttle at the grip compared the usual cold start, and then needed "blipping" to stay running. It would not idle and would die immediately if the throttle was let go of.

Thanks! for the suggestions
Curtis,
Unknowingly you may have stumble upon a useful fact - let me explain:
Unlike many EFI systems in cars, on K1200 Motronic 2.4, the TPS is the only indication of air volume provided. There is no flowmeter (or MAP sensor) that takes pressure / throttle demand into account. The system must deduce air mass by combining TPS and RPM readings. Hence, I had always assumed the K1200 engine would NOT start or run without a TPS signal and never bother to test it.

Pretty cold here near Montreal and I hate to just start and do a partial warm up in garage. Next time it is warm enough for a ride, I plan to collect some "real-time" data log values with GS911 (with TPS disconnected). There might be some "limp-home" mode where Motronic takes only the RPM into account if there is no TPS values (RPM from Hall-effect sensor).

This could have certain implications to troubleshooting a defective TPS. Will keep the forum members updated with another more appropriate thread. Sorry for the hyjack ;-)
CharlieVT likes this.

John (Montreal, CANADA)

Last edited by sailor; Jan 30th, 2015 at 3:44 pm.
post #22 of 35 Old Jan 30th, 2015, 5:28 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Curtis,
Unknowingly you may have stumble upon a useful fact ...
.... Sorry for the hyjack ;-)
Jean,
Bonsoir,
No hijack.
You've a nice quote on your profile. "The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
Seeking the truth shouldn't be impeded by the political correctness of thread etiquette.
Nous sommes arrives.

I'm lucky, 'cause my middle initial is "T" which stands for SerendipiTy"

If I stumbled onto something of value, well, make the most of it!

It is chilly in Mon-re-al? Not much warmer in the Deep South of Vermont!

Warm Regards,

Last edited by CharlieVT; Jan 30th, 2015 at 5:33 pm.
post #23 of 35 Old Jan 30th, 2015, 5:56 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwoolsey View Post
Curtis, you going to need to convert that LT to a snow-blower or are you far enough inland to avoid that mess?
I don't need a BMW snowblower, I've a New Holland.
Actually, in spite of forecasts, we got only a few inches...

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	snowblower.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	213.4 KB
ID:	72986  
post #24 of 35 Old Jan 30th, 2015, 7:36 pm

Quote:
Jean,
Bonsoir,
No hijack.
You've a nice quote on your profile. "The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
Seeking the truth shouldn't be impeded by the political correctness of thread etiquette.
Nous sommes arrives.

I'm lucky, 'cause my middle initial is "T" which stands for SerendipiTy"

If I stumbled onto something of value, well, make the most of it!

It is chilly in Mon-re-al? Not much warmer in the Deep South of Vermont!

Warm Regards,
Curtis,
Although the quote (from my signature) does represent my thinking, I could not have formulated as eloquently as you did – it came from you. Even if I tried, I might have created something having linguistic interference from my French background ;-)

For those who are curious how the signature came about, see this older thread from 2011:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...-rear-end.html

About the weather:
Not much difference between Montreal and Vermont in most seasons. I ride in Vermont every summer. In both places, winters are too long and too damn cold ;-)

John (Montreal, CANADA)
post #25 of 35 Old Jan 30th, 2015, 8:04 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
..the quote ...came from you. ...
I ride in Vermont every summer. In both places, winters are too long and too damn cold ;-)
Holy moly, LOL I said that?! I quoted you quoting me? Yikes! Can you spell Sinility?

You ride Vermont? Stop by here in the Deep South. Pick up some Maple Syrup....not much maple syrup in Quebec is there?

Addendum: for the flat landers reading here, it is a joke. Quebec is the world leader in maple syrup production.
Quick stats:
40,632,512 taps in the Province of Quebec in 2011 vs. 3,500,000 taps in Vermont in 2012

In terms of production, in 2010:
Province of Quebec, Canada: 7, 989,000 gallons harvested.
State of Vermont, USA: 890,000 gallons harvested.

Where ever you get your Maple, look for pure Maple Products. The most delicious sweetener there is. Hint: it isn't Log Cabin, or Vermont Maid
Vermont Maple Sugar Makers Association
post #26 of 35 Old Feb 1st, 2015, 3:01 am
Lifetime Supporter

John, for what it's worth most if not all of the time a defective TPS will not show up on a car running an OBDII scan. It will set a code if unplugged like Curtis had. Interestingly, the MAP or MAF sensors do not necessarily set codes when unplugged, I think because the vehicle is in open loop mode when started and running strictly off temperature and RPM data. My many Taurus vehicles have all had me forget to plug in the MAF/MAP sensors and they didn't set the MIL light until several minutes of operation, presumable when the system went to closed loop mode and then was missing the proper signal.
Speculation on my part, but I think the engine control programs are designed to allow most of the individual engine management components to fail one at a time and still run. As you pointed out earlier, that's why it can be so tough to trouble shoot them. Many of the components will cause similar symptoms depending on the conditions present.

P.S. Damn, this has been an interesting thread.

post #27 of 35 Old Feb 1st, 2015, 8:02 am
Enjoy The Ride

Would you like to borrow my winter tires ?.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Winter Tires 001.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	864.8 KB
ID:	73106   Click image for larger version

Name:	Winter Tires 006.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	869.0 KB
ID:	73114  

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #28 of 35 Old Feb 1st, 2015, 8:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwoolsey View Post
John, for what it's worth most if not all of the time a defective TPS will not show up on a car running an OBDII scan. It will set a code if unplugged like Curtis had. Interestingly, the MAP or MAF sensors do not necessarily set codes when unplugged, I think because the vehicle is in open loop mode when started and running strictly off temperature and RPM data. My many Taurus vehicles have all had me forget to plug in the MAF/MAP sensors and they didn't set the MIL light until several minutes of operation, presumable when the system went to closed loop mode and then was missing the proper signal.
Speculation on my part, but I think the engine control programs are designed to allow most of the individual engine management components to fail one at a time and still run. As you pointed out earlier, that's why it can be so tough to trouble shoot them. Many of the components will cause similar symptoms depending on the conditions present.

P.S. Damn, this has been an interesting thread.
We are way off the original thread here - more hijack - sorry Curtis. Ok.. one last post as we need to start a new thread more specific to these issues.

Dean,
Knowing that the K1200 does NOT have anything to fall back on (like MAF or MAP), I did not believe that Curtis could have started it with TPS not connected. So there is more material for testing when I have time and warmer weather to ride it...

John (Montreal, CANADA)
post #29 of 35 Old Feb 1st, 2015, 10:35 am Thread Starter

Quote:
We are way off the original thread here - more hijack - sorry Curtis. Ok.. one last post as we need to start a new thread more specific to these issues....
I don't think thread digression is a big deal. Kind of like a conversation which goes its own way. Keeping threads on topic may help in future searches, but then most folks don't use the search much anyway.
I always find in interesting when knowledgeable people contribute.

I've a basic understanding of electrical and electronics, but don't know much about modern internal combustion engine ignition systems, ECUs and the ilk. I'm a self taught, shade tree mechanic steeped in carburetors, points, and condensers. So any insight into all the sensors that feed the moronic (Motronic) computer is good info for me.
I don't know where I'd be if I couldn't plug in a GS-911. I don't use it much, but it is a handy tool.
post #30 of 35 Old Feb 1st, 2015, 1:38 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I don't think thread digression is a big deal. Kind of like a conversation which goes its own way. Keeping threads on topic may help in future searches, but then most folks don't use the search much anyway.

I've a basic understanding of electrical and electronics, but don't know much about modern internal combustion engine ignition systems, ECUs and the ilk. I'm a self taught, shade tree mechanic steeped in carburetors, points, and condensers. So any insight into all the sensors that feed the moronic (Motronic) computer is good info for me.
I don't know where I'd be if I couldn't plug in a GS-911. I don't use it much, but it is a handy tool.
I find following threads such as this very educational, however I disagree with "most folks don't use the search" I have used it a lot, and I believe anyone who is familiar with forum use will as well. However the search often fails to bring you to the information you are looking for even when you have read a thread in the past with said information. Thus people get tired of looking through unhelpful information and ask questions. Yes sometimes the information is easily found with the search, but I have spent many hours searching the forum not finding what I'm looking for only to then do an internet search using Google or Bing and find the information here, where vBulletin's search engine couldn't find it. I have seen some questions come up where the information is really easy to find, tire questions are a good example as there are several discussions on them every month, where it seems the poster was just to lazy to look. However what is the purpose of a technical forum if all we do is chastise people for asking a question just because it has been answered before?

How's that for a hijack! The troll masters will be proud!
post #31 of 35 Old Feb 1st, 2015, 2:18 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff8stuff View Post
I find following threads such as this very educational, however I disagree with "most folks don't use the search" I have used it a lot, and I believe anyone who is familiar with forum use will as well. However the search often fails to bring you to the information you are looking for even when you have read a thread in the past with said information. Thus people get tired of looking through unhelpful information and ask questions. Yes sometimes the information is easily found with the search, but I have spent many hours searching the forum not finding what I'm looking for only to then do an internet search using Google or Bing and find the information here, where vBulletin's search engine couldn't find it. I have seen some questions come up where the information is really easy to find, tire questions are a good example as there are several discussions on them every month, where it seems the poster was just to lazy to look. However what is the purpose of a technical forum if all we do is chastise people for asking a question just because it has been answered before?

How's that for a hijack! The troll masters will be proud!
You are correct on all points.
post #32 of 35 Old Feb 1st, 2015, 2:25 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
Would you like to borrow my winter tires ?.
Thanks for the offer, but I got the bike moved off the lift and from the garage to the barn.
Nice sunny day for it. Put down a little sand so I didn't even have to get out my chains.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0724.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	398.2 KB
ID:	73153   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0727.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	371.6 KB
ID:	73161   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0730.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	340.7 KB
ID:	73169  

Last edited by CharlieVT; Feb 1st, 2015 at 2:49 pm.
post #33 of 35 Old Feb 1st, 2015, 5:06 pm

Quote:

Curtis,
Many who learn to fix their bike with simple carburetors think that Electronic-Fuel-Injection (EFI) is black-majic or just too complex. Obviously anyone who thinks like this has not worked on a modern 4 cylinders bike from last generation of carbs (around 1980s) when they where trying to make them more fuel-efficient (like a Yamaha venture V4).

If you had a single part not set or assembled properly on such complex 4 carbs system, you would still be working on it as I write this.

You have been able to change piston rings on your K1200LT without intricate knowledge of metallurgy although the designer of that engine had to know something about it. In the same way, you can troubleshoot and understand EFI without being able to know all the internal details to build such system. Some of the internals will remain a "black-box" - like the metallurgy analogy, that should not stop you from doing troubleshooting and some fixing - as long as you understand the limitations of your knowledge. Knowing all the internals is not often required (although I like to do some reverse engineering to better understand how it behaves).

Modern EFI are quite reliable - with some understanding AND simple troubleshooting tools like a GS911 (or an ODBII readers for your car) you can solve 95% of problems. Even with a Multimeter (Volts / Ohms) you can solve many problems on a simple Motronic EFI system - however a GS911 will get you there quicker with more data ;-)

On a modern 4 cylinders motorcycle, I will choose EFI anyday compare to some of these 4 carbs system. Some will argue you can fix these on the side of the road with simple tools. On a single or twin cylinder engine maybe you can... on these 1980s complex carbs for a 4 cylinders... good luck!

John (Montreal, CANADA)

Last edited by sailor; Feb 1st, 2015 at 6:40 pm.
post #34 of 35 Old Feb 1st, 2015, 5:30 pm

The first Bosch fuel injection back in late 60's was the same essentially as the LT fuel injection, same engine temp sensor, tps built into the throttle body, no knock sensor, no tva instead a 5th injector for cold start and of course it was solid state instead of micro processor. I was confused after having a K100 and K1100 which has/had air flow measurement built into the air box.
The early system on my VW (69) injected on 3 cylinders at once and the 4th at a separate time, it is interesting that on the LT they can inject all 4 at the same time.

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #35 of 35 Old Feb 3rd, 2015, 3:09 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:

I started this AM.

Sweet! You make us all proud Curtis. I'm also enjoying my LT after referbishing it. It is like a whole new bike. Enjoy (when the weather cooperates).

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 68k (Totaled! 8/11/19 Deer strike)

2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in