Smoke and tailpipe soot after oil change - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jan 26th, 2015, 8:48 pm Thread Starter

Smoke and tailpipe soot after oil change

Okay, my '99 smokes profusely after start-up and is blowing black soot out the tailpipe. I just changed oil & filter (Bosch and Castrol) and she sits on center stand always. I know the side stand will produce some smoke, but this is much, much more. I thought it might be the cold temps, but yesterday it was 65 F. in the garage; she runs fine and does not smoke after warming up. The oil change was done properly and filled with EXACTLY same amount that I drained. It has 33k miles, and all previous service done at BMW dealer. So, is it valves or what ? Tks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jan 26th, 2015, 9:01 pm

Re: Smoke and tailpipe soot after oil change

Black soot is rich mixture - sounds like O2 sensor but they fail gradually - is it possible your mileage has been getting worse and not noticed
Oil smoke normally blue
How is your oil level in the glass?

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #3 of 6 Old Jan 26th, 2015, 10:05 pm Thread Starter

Gary, the smoke is a grayish-blue; the oil is at top of the circle - not sure why it started smoking after the oil change, but it runs fine. Don't notice any diff in throttle or mpg.

post #4 of 6 Old Jan 27th, 2015, 8:18 am
Lifetime Supporter

Do not panic, this very normal for this bike. If you shut it down on the side stand or shut it down and put it on the side stand without waiting for 30 or so seconds with it straight up you WILL get smoke.

As for the soot on the tail pipe, BMW runs it that way, the only time I don't have soot there is for the two minutes after I clean it off before riding.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #5 of 6 Old Jan 27th, 2015, 1:28 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbaker15 View Post
Do not panic, this very normal for this bike. If you shut it down on the side stand or shut it down and put it on the side stand without waiting for 30 or so seconds with it straight up you WILL get smoke.

As for the soot on the tail pipe, BMW runs it that way, the only time I don't have soot there is for the two minutes after I clean it off before riding.
Thanks John, yea, last year I set her on side stand a few times until I found out that info; but since last summer have always parked it on center stand before turning off. I never noticed the soot before (actually it blew a nice black spot on garage floor ) So, I'll just ride her like normal unless I get some other symptoms.
post #6 of 6 Old Jan 27th, 2015, 3:16 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The O2 system is open loop initially and runs full rich. Thus the black soot and if enough moisture is collected in the exhaust it will blow out that soot with water droplets and make a nice smudge on the floor. Perfectly normal for this bike. You can remove it with Windex and a tooth brush but it will always come right back on the next cold start.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in