25 Jan in Washington and I went for an AMAZING ride today. (lots of Pics) - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 8Likes
  • 7 Post By oldmopars
  • 1 Post By norton

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jan 25th, 2015, 8:15 pm Thread Starter

Garage
25 Jan in Washington and I went for an AMAZING ride today. (lots of Pics)

Well, to start with, if you live in an area of the country (or World) that it is currently covered in snow or ice where you can't ride, I am very sorry. I am lucky enough to live in Washington where we get random days of great weather even in the winter.
So I live out in Graham, about 20 miles south east of Tacoma. The weather here today was 63 and sunny. After church I had some lunch and decided to not let the day pass without getting out for a ride.
I left home and rode out through Orting, then to South Prairie, Burnett, Wilkinson, and Carbonado. This alone is a beautiful ride and worth doing if you have a chance. These small towns are full of charm and tucked into green mountain oasis's.

If you continue to follow Hwy 165 out of Carbonado it will take you out to Mt. Rainier National Park and past the Carbon River Ranger Station. As you wind your way up the canyon to the park you cross over the Carbon River a few times and below you is a rapid running river.

At about the mid point up the road you come to a bridge that is only one lane wide, you have to wait if anyone is headed your way. This is a very old bridge with a steel and wood design, most likely Army Corps. way involved. As you stand on this bridge and look down to the rushing water over 150ft below you can feel the bridge move under you. As cars pass over it, it shakes badly and gives an uneasy feeling.

A little while later you will come to an open area where you get a view of the river and some camping spots. The river is very gray from the snow and silt run off it gives it a unique look.

I rode out to Ipsut Creek camp ground to see what was there and look over the area. It would be a great place to spend a weekend or more fishing and hiking the area.
As I returned toward home again I took Orville Rd out through Electron and into Kapowsin and past the lake. At this point I was only a few miles from home and decided it was time to return.
It was a very pleasant surprise to have such a wonderful day for a ride in January in Washington. I must have waved to almost 100 other bikes as I rode out this way. The roads were still wet in some areas, the sun was bright and some of the roads were a bit rough in areas, but it was awesome. I had a great ride and I hope that if you live in the NW you enjoyed the day also.
Anyway, just had to share. This last picture is what my bike looked like after the ride, she is a bit dirty, but happy. Still need to scrub the whiskers off the new tires, but it was still a little wet for that.

Have a great day and ride safe everyone.
CharlieVT, Gruivis, sailor and 4 others like this.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1997 R1100RT
2000 K1200LT Sold

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jan 25th, 2015, 8:25 pm

Re: 25 Jan in Washington and I went for an AMAZING ride today. (lots of Pics)

Thanks for posting your ride report and great photos. Gives us a reminder of what spring looks like. Four more inches of snow by tomorrow morning...

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #3 of 12 Old Jan 25th, 2015, 10:23 pm

Nice pictures and write up. You're only about 3 hours south of us so I'll add it to the "Bike It List"
Thanks for sharing

Wayne
"We ought never do wrong when anyone is looking" Mark Twain

post #4 of 12 Old Jan 26th, 2015, 5:04 am

Pics looked great, Damn I'm jealous, 12" to 16" of snow predicted for tonight and tomorrow. its not fair!!!!! Well I guess I could move, but its still not fair?
dvgb131 likes this.
post #5 of 12 Old Jan 26th, 2015, 7:35 am

Nice post, great pics.
Can you spell envi?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	temp.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	210.2 KB
ID:	72682  
post #6 of 12 Old Jan 26th, 2015, 8:52 am Thread Starter

Garage

Sometimes I get tired of all the rain here, but I do have to admit, the lack of real cold weather and snow does make it nice sometimes. It should still be nice for several more days to.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!

1997 R1100RT
2000 K1200LT Sold

post #7 of 12 Old Jan 26th, 2015, 10:53 am

Happy Guy, nice pics thanks.
Across the Pond in Germany it is still a little to wet and cold.
We have snow just now.
But if I see your pics you have not to come across.
Could be in the Balck Forest or in the Eifel area. Looks the same.

Manfred
post #8 of 12 Old Jan 26th, 2015, 10:32 pm

Garage

We may need to get together for a ride sometime. I could buzz down the 101 along the Hood Canal and meet up with you somewhere. Really looking forward to exploring WA on the bike. Moved out here last year. Finally got up to Hurricane Ridge a few weeks ago, but that was in the truck. No place for a bike up there this time of year...but will be about August!

1973 Yamaha 250 Enduro (crash and burn)
1982 Yamaha Virago 920 (sold)
Honda CB750 Custom (sold...good riddins!)
2003 K1200LT - Black (for sale)
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue Metallic

post #9 of 12 Old Jan 27th, 2015, 4:19 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdepas View Post
We may need to get together for a ride sometime. I could buzz down the 101 along the Hood Canal and meet up with you somewhere. Really looking forward to exploring WA on the bike. Moved out here last year. Finally got up to Hurricane Ridge a few weeks ago, but that was in the truck. No place for a bike up there this time of year...but will be about August!
Well, I am ready and eager to ride with you. I have a lot of time on my hands right now, so just about any time is wide open. I have explored most all of the state except for the Peninsula. I have just not made it out that way yet.
Washington offers some amazing riding, I think often people overlook the great riding here because of the weather.
P.M. Me any time and we can set something up. I like to bike camp also, so a multi day ride is good also.

1997 R1100RT
2000 K1200LT Sold

post #10 of 12 Old Jan 27th, 2015, 5:59 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmopars View Post
Well, I am ready and eager to ride with you. I have a lot of time on my hands right now, so just about any time is wide open. I have explored most all of the state except for the Peninsula. I have just not made it out that way yet.
Washington offers some amazing riding, I think often people overlook the great riding here because of the weather.
P.M. Me any time and we can set something up. I like to bike camp also, so a multi day ride is good also.
Sounds great!

1973 Yamaha 250 Enduro (crash and burn)
1982 Yamaha Virago 920 (sold)
Honda CB750 Custom (sold...good riddins!)
2003 K1200LT - Black (for sale)
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue Metallic

post #11 of 12 Old Jan 27th, 2015, 6:37 pm

Looks like a fantastic ride! Nice photos!
post #12 of 12 Old Jan 27th, 2015, 6:41 pm

Great ride report. Love this weather. I'm in for riding and camping too The fog in the morning as I ride to Portland is bad but other than that, I'm happy to be enjoying this Jan weather.
Chris

2003 K1200LT
Washougal, WA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in