Stuff about brakes - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jan 25th, 2015, 8:18 am Thread Starter

Stuff about brakes

2000 K1200LT Icon all apart for 12K "BMW Inspection", top-end job, etc.
Decided to install a set of Speigler brake lines I've had for a year or more. I bough 'em a while back after reading a thread on this site about brake line failure.

Just one more of those things I didn't know I needed until I read about brake line failures on this site.
Here's a list of preemptive things I have done to the bike over the years 'cause posts on this forum prompted me: Replaced clutch slave cylinder, installed low beam HID, drilled bell housing weep hole, installed "fix it before it breaks" top case latch, and probably others I don't recall right now. (Oh, yeah, final drives)
Those things in addition to the accessories I added like J-pegs, passenger floor boards and arm rests, cup holder, tank bag, Autocom... the list goes on.

So while I was changing out all my OEM brake lines (which were working just fine, thank you) I got to wondering why I was bothering to do it. I mean, these OEM lines looked good, and actually appeared robust compared to what I was installing in their place; I had no complaints regarding brake performance.

How many people have really had brake line failures on their K1200LT, I wondered. And how many reports of brake line failure were "fraudulent" reports by some person who job it is to increase the sales of aftermarket brake lines? In this internet world of spam, scam, and trolls it isn't so far fetched.

So was replacing my brake lines a good idea?
Or unnecessary overkill?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jan 25th, 2015, 8:53 am

Re: Stuff about brakes

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old Jan 25th, 2015, 9:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualemt View Post
+1

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single

post #4 of 12 Old Jan 25th, 2015, 9:27 am

2002 LTE with 57K.

Likewise I have the LT on the lift doing a 12K service and many other things as well. After installing the Speigler Lines I decide to dissect the old lines for grins and giggles.

Tough as they were to open using new utility knife blade, they are wound with double layered fiber, the inside of the lines looked good, could not detect any wear/tear. Better safe than sorry though, peace of mind.

My $0.02

Regards,
Boots
IBA#50871

Come ride with me;

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 R12GS 100K miles, current ride
1972 R60/5 Toaster 44K miles, current ride
2002 K12LTE 58K miles, SOLD
post #5 of 12 Old Jan 25th, 2015, 9:32 am

I've taken the approach of "as needed". On my 2000 the front was replaced according to the records before I bought it because of a bulge in a line - sounds perfectly acceptable. I'm sure we've all owned a lot of vehicles over the years and have never replaced a brake line. I know people who have blown brake lines (and I think there are some reported on this site) on different vehicles, including my son (not in an LT).

Many on different forums say, "hey for $300 why wouldn't you upgrade your lines and never worry about it?" What are the odds or blowing one while riding? Anecdotally, I'd say less than the chance of getting struck by lightening or attacked by sharks.

Many will answer because of weight. It's SO heavy the braking power needed is extremely and puts so much extra force on the system. I'm sure they wear out quicker but inspect and replace is my motto.

2000 BMW K1200 LT (Alice)
Gone, but not forgotten:
1983 Venture Royale
1982 Goldwing Aspencade
1982 Yamaha 650 Maxxim
1975 Yamaha 650 Special

Katy, TX
post #6 of 12 Old Jan 25th, 2015, 10:32 am

I have 99lt Icon with 48k on her and I had the rear line to the caliper blow while riding and the line to the foot brake line start leaking after I had the plate that holds the brake petle loose checking something else. At the time I didn't know of this site and bought BMW lines or I would have went with Speiglers . I have not replaced any since but I am concerned about the front ones now should just do it.
post #7 of 12 Old Jan 25th, 2015, 10:49 am

Garage

I am very interested also, I have a 2000 Icon also, it still have the factory lines, or some PO replaced them with factory. I have had no issues and I look my bike over regularly. I have thought about replacing all the lines, however the one to the rear brakes seems to be the only one I hear about leaking. I am very gentle on the rear brake and often do't use it.
With the cost of $250 and being on a limited budget, there are other needs that have been more important. I am thinking about just replacing the rear with factory and just keep smiling.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

1997 R1100RT
2000 K1200LT Sold

post #8 of 12 Old Jan 25th, 2015, 11:33 am
Enjoy The Ride

I can't remember how many ruptured brake lines I have replaced over the years for others but it is many. The line from the foot brake is the most common to fail. Some fail from the inside.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #9 of 12 Old Jan 25th, 2015, 1:11 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I've had four failures on my bike and did one repair for the neighbor.
Front master cylinder, rear master cylinder, rear caliper, front left caliper on my LT. Supply line between the solid ABS line and the front tee fitting for the neighbor. At least two of the failures were on lines which had never been tampered with or stressed to my knowledge.

That's not a marketing ploy, either.

post #10 of 12 Old Jan 25th, 2015, 1:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT View Post
How many people have really had brake line failures on their K1200LT...
My LT was nine years old with 92k miles when my rear brake line started leaking. This is when I changed them all out to speigler brake lines. I first thought it was the final drive leaking, but upon further inspection, it was the brake line where it had a sharp curve coming out of the caliper.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear1.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	72602   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear2.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	72610  

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #11 of 12 Old Jan 25th, 2015, 3:56 pm Thread Starter

Gents,

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm gratified.

Conclusion: Glad I changed out my brake lines.

Next: starting another thread, what is the best upgrade you've made to your K1200LT?
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...-your-klt.html
post #12 of 12 Old Jan 26th, 2015, 2:14 pm

I had two OEM lines fail on my 2002 K1200LT. First was a front one and 2 years later the rear one at the master cylinder. On the front I had a visible puddle of fluid but never could find where the leak was coming from. I replaced the OEM line from the front right caliper to up in the fairing. Problem solved (after a bleed & flush). I only caught it because of the puddle but after I did it I noticed better braking. Then 2 years later my rear master cylinder line started leaking at the ferule right at the master cylinder. Again I replaced with an OEM line. The rear one I caught right away with the diminished braking and the feel in the pedal. I remember my front line was $113 and the rear was $55. I probably should've gone with Spieglers but that's hindsight.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in