Oil Consumtion - what is normal? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Oct 16th, 2005, 7:15 pm Thread Starter

Oil Consumtion - what is normal?

Ok, I probably have seen this on the old site, but can't remember where, so I am sorry for the repeat...

What is the consensus for normal oil consumption?

My bike is a hair under 13k and just took 1/2 quart at 1,600 miles since last oil change. Normally park on the sidestand and just 'normal' riding around this part of Oklahoma - no 2 up or hot-rodding (well, maybe a little)... ;-)

12k valve check as A-ok and plugs looked like the pictures I had seen here of normal plugs at 12k.

Just wanted to know if I need to be concerned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Oct 16th, 2005, 7:23 pm

oil consumption

at about 11,000 miles I did a 2200 miles trip to Florida from Kentucky and used about 1/3 qt of oil during the trip.
post #3 of 11 Old Oct 16th, 2005, 7:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfxray
I have 48K and I typically don't add oil between changes.

I have added some if I am running cross country at high speed... into heavy winds... and then only a few ounces.. but in the Northeast I have yet to add oil between changes...

I also rarely smoke on startup except if I ran it had and shut if off and left it for the night on the sidestand.. and then only occasionally..

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA

post #4 of 11 Old Oct 16th, 2005, 8:03 pm

Less than a quart between 12,000 mile AMSOIL changes at 123,000 miles.
post #5 of 11 Old Oct 16th, 2005, 9:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfxray

My bike is a hair under 13k and just took 1/2 quart at 1,600 miles since last oil change. Normally park on the sidestand and just 'normal' riding around this part of Oklahoma - no 2 up or hot-rodding (well, maybe a little)... ;-)

Just wanted to know if I need to be concerned.
Hey Shawn - leetle bitty booklet sez "Maximum oil consumption = one quart in 580 miles OR one litre in 1K kilometers", so I'd say you're well within the max.

One of these dayz, I'm gonna measure the drained oil and compare it to what I put in (I alwayz put in a measured amount), just to see if there is any appreciable consumption on an engine with 100K+ mileage. My riding style seldom varies 'tween fluid changes.

Anyway, Shawn - just thought I'd mention what BMW puts in the booklet re; consumption max.
post #6 of 11 Old Oct 16th, 2005, 9:49 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback guys... I should have read the book (insert embarassed smiley here).

I thought about measuring what I take out also Dick - I think though that would require me to not be oiling down the garage floor though during the oil change... ;-)
post #7 of 11 Old Oct 16th, 2005, 11:03 pm

Yeah, I know - it's gonna be a 'messier' job when I do that, butt what they heck - neatness ain't in my vocabulary!! BTW - if you haven't already, buy yourselvis some blue 'Nitrile' surgical-type gloves (not the latex greens) - most NAPA stores, or parts houses have 'em. They letcha make a beeg mess, butt it don't get under your fingernails!!! They're talcum lined and comfortable, and you still have grippage for picking up dropped thangs.
post #8 of 11 Old Oct 17th, 2005, 5:58 am

I was frequently topping up on longer trips until I had around 12K on the bike. With 18K now I never seem to have to put oil in. I have also noticed that the more miles I have on the LT the smoother it seems to run. Maybe theres something to that 18K break-in period.

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Explain it to me once more: WHY do I have to "Press 1 for English"
post #9 of 11 Old Oct 17th, 2005, 9:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
leetle bitty booklet sez "Maximum oil consumption = one quart in 580 miles OR one litre in 1K kilometers"
They're talking burning a quart of oil to every two tanks of gasoline here. Maybe that was acceptable back in the old days, when your Harley-Davidson or Triumph engine leaked almost as much oil as it consumed, but if my 2004 BMW motorcycle was using that much oil, I'd be pounding on my local dealer's service desk, demanding something be done about it. With a modern engine in good condition, I would not expect to have to ad any oil between scheduled service periods.
I use Mobil-1, and change my oil and filter every 6,000 miles.
post #10 of 11 Old Oct 17th, 2005, 9:50 am

My bike broke in nice and hasn't used any oil between changes (3,000 mi w/BMW dino 20W50) since it was new 44K miles ago.

My last bike was a K1100LT. It used a little bit (few ounces) between changes until it had about 10K miles then none.
post #11 of 11 Old Oct 17th, 2005, 11:11 am

At 64,000 miles on my 2000 LTC. I topped off the oil level and made a trip to Washington DC and back to Pembroke Pines, FL. Only added 6 oz oil upon return. Watched Harleys add oil by the quart on the ride up and back.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in