24000 mile scheduled Maintenance, is it really necessary ? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jul 29th, 2006, 7:41 am Thread Starter

24000 mile scheduled Maintenance, is it really necessary ?

I bought my 02 with 18000 mi on it 2 months ago and will soon be ready for BMW “scheduled” 24000 mi service. Is it really necessary to spend big bucks for preventive maintenance or can we limit what we should have done to what is truly necessary and deal with issues as they come along .My bike runs like new. If it were my car I would change the oil and go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jul 29th, 2006, 8:01 am

Cool

YES, you need to do the 24k service, but NO, you don't need to spend big bucks, IF you can do your own servicing. The 24k is not that bad, just go slow. There are plenty of helpful articles on this site, but you may want to get the Clymer service manual as well. If you don't want to do the two most difficult tasks, bleed the brakes and adjust the valves, take the bike to the dealer with the lower fairings removed to save on labor. It cost me $180 for the brake bleed and $150 for a valve adjustment (went to the dealer for the 12k, I did the 24k myself)

BTW, love your avatar! I've seen Little Feat (w&w/o Lowell) many times!

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death
post #3 of 7 Old Jul 29th, 2006, 8:24 am

I just had my 24K done @27K + miles and the valves did not need any adjustment. However, the bike is now getting over 50 mpg. I averaged 46/47 prior. Apparently it did need the air filter and or plugs.

I do my own trans, final drive and engine oil changes. Nicks did everything else for 400$. Of course my 01 doesn't have the linked brakes.

I was happy with the price and result. Just my.02$

Brian Heller
2001 LTC-Pacific Blue

post #4 of 7 Old Jul 29th, 2006, 12:18 pm
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltlfeat
I bought my 02 with 18000 mi on it 2 months ago and will soon be ready for BMW “scheduled” 24000 mi service. Is it really necessary to spend big bucks for preventive maintenance or can we limit what we should have done to what is truly necessary and deal with issues as they come along .My bike runs like new. If it were my car I would change the oil and go.
You absolutely need the 24K service, do NOT skip in scheduled services on the LT (or any vehicle for that matter) unless you want problems down the road. Spending big bucks is optional, though. Many of us do our own services at the 6 and 12K intervals, and even if you're only slightly mechanically inclined you can probably do the work with some help and guidance. Some great resources are right here on this site in the Hall of Wisdom, searching past posts for specific questions, and just asking the membership of the group (once we've had our coffee at least ). You can also find out of someone in your area knows how to do it and have a Tech Session at your house (or theirs) to get assistance and learn how to do it. Also, there is a set of service DVDs created by Paul Sayegh that walk you though each step of doing a 6 and 12K service. I can attest that if it wasn't for those I would not be able to do my own service.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/faq.php?...q_serviceitems

Doing the service yourself can save you literally hundreds of dollars in labor charges. If you're uncomfortable doing the whole thing, even learning how to get all the bodywork off the bike so you can take it to the dealer stripped down can save you a couple of hours labor, which would offset the cost of a set of the service DVDs (maybe 2 or 3 depending on what your delaer charges). Regardless of how you approach the work, the bottom line is you need to do it.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old Jul 29th, 2006, 1:01 pm

Do it....Do it Now...

Yes,
the 24K NEEDS to be done.

One thing you said was "It runs like new....." Well...let's keep it that way. Don't by the horse if you can't afford the saddle.

I agree though, you can do 90% of the service yourself...and 100% if you research this site and get the service DVDs.

The first time I spent 800.00 on a service for my bike in Greensboro, NC....I said WHOOOOaaaa Nelly(another horse reference..haha) and I started doing it all myself. I probably spent 3-400 on tools though...but still have them. I was doing it all on my RT. I bought manuals, TwinMax, Torque wrench..etc. So a little up front and a LIFETIME of experience to keep with you if you do it yourself.

Good Luck, and please do not skip the service...or you can just turn her out to pasture...(another one.. )

Bill

Colorado Springs, CO
2003 K1200LTE "Infinite"
2002 HD FXDL "Kristi"
2002 K1200RS "Monique"
1996 R1100RT "Kami"
1988 K75s no name
post #6 of 7 Old Jul 29th, 2006, 1:02 pm

I wouldn't consider skipping a major service. You can stretch the interval a little with minimal risk but don't skip it. If money is an issue there are ways to keep the cost down. If you aren't comfortable doing the mechanical work like the valve adjustment you can still change the fluids and as many of the items like air and fuel filters that you are comfortable with. You can then take her in to a dealer with the tupperware still off on the valve side and let them check/adjust the valves. If you have done everything but the valves it will get the cost down to around 150.00 depending on your dealers hourly rate and any parts needed. Even better, post a message on the regional forum for your area and express interest in a service party. Chances are good someone near you would be glad to help you out. It's a great way to meet fellow riders in your area.
post #7 of 7 Old Jul 29th, 2006, 3:10 pm

I knew I was going to do the services myself, from the get-go. So I bought a Handy lift to make it that much easier.

I just did the 48k service before going on a 4k mile trip to Canadia and the bike ran faultlessly.

It just takes time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in